2001 Excursion v10-12v :)

rascal

Reaction score
Cool project. Are you going to coat the frame with POR-15 while you have the body off?

TurboM700

Reaction score
Body is back on.

But yes frame was done with por-15 then black chassis coat. The under side of the X body was por-15, black chassis coat then bed lined. Should hold off the rust I hope.

I went a little over kill(like most my projects) but its done right.

Mike

TurboM700

Reaction score
Right on.
My buddy used a place called Fleet Pride in Roseville to have his driveshaft shortened in his 12v rcsb project we are working on.
Throw up a pic.

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

I'll do that when I get a chance. I have aton just need some time to upload them.

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I just had a drive shaft made for my F150 by a place called ADL drive line in Centerville. Good bunch of guys. Definitely a cool project. I might have to check it out someday

TurboM700

Reaction score
I just had a drive shaft made for my F150 by a place called ADL drive line in Centerville. Good bunch of guys. Definitely a cool project. I might have to check it out someday

Awesome I'll give them a call. I have used in the past Proven Force but they seemed to have gotten expensive latley.

Once she's done(as if they are ever done) stop on by.

00X7.3PSD

Reaction score
Nice project.

Did you get everything to work? Gauge, A/C, Cruise control, ABS?

Can you give me as much detail as possible?

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
Yes all works only thing I did was unhook the CEL as there was no way to get that to go away.

I'll do a right up monday when I'm back in front of a computer. I have been driving it for about a month now little over 1000 miles. Love the truck very fun to drive.

00X7.3PSD

Reaction score
Yes all works only thing I did was unhook the CEL as there was no way to get that to go away.

I'll do a right up monday when I'm back in front of a computer. I have been driving it for about a month now little over 1000 miles. Love the truck very fun to drive.

WOW! That is motivation. Looking forward to your write up. :toast:

TurboM700

Reaction score
Wow I have built a few custom vehicles over the yrs but this one seemed to be a huge PITA. When I start a project like this I like to buy a donor vehicle but thanks to a member on here I “thought” I was getting a good deal on a motor turned out to be more work then its worth. If I ever do this again I would buy a complete truck that way I have all the little pieces that are need. Also would get a motor out of a truck not a MDT, but enough with the complain its done, running and I love driving it.

Looks like a left off with the frame and body were separated. I took a day off of work “sick” and Por-15 the frame then did a black top. This turned out great, since its been about 4 months since I did this it seems to be holding up great. Will see what this winter brings. I also Por-15 the underside of the body, raptor bedlined it then sprayed that with a Black top coat. Its tough as nail.
IMG_3646_zpsb6a61055.jpg

IMG_3648_zps59519436.jpg

And the top coat is on.
IMG_3650_zps69def3dc.jpg

Next it was onto building some motor mounts and getting the motor mounted in the frame. I like everything I do cant pay someone for something I can do my self, so I made my own motor mounts out of dodge 2500 control arm bushings. Things are beefy and I figured if they can hold the front axle on a 3/4ton truck they will work just fine for motor mounts.
IMG_3704_zps6fbb879f.jpg

Next was I wanted to use Ford Alternator, Powersteering Pump, and Ac. I spent some time in Cad and then made a few brackets. I also had to use the fan hub out of a new Common Rail since the one I got was out of a MDT and sits higher.
PS-ALTADTPLT_zpsbc3c71c2.jpg

IMG_3575_zps25d0d00a.jpg

IMG_4204_zpsdd390fb3.jpg

IMG_4204_zpsdd390fb3.jpg

Next was onto assy of the motor and getting it painted. This is where S#$T kinda of hit the fan. I knew all along the pump wasn’t out of a Dodge truck even thou I was told it was. So I picked up some throttle linkage(stuff isn’t cheap) then had to make some special bolts to mount it to the pump.
IMG_3653_zps1d9d3b51.jpg

IMG_3654_zps88e141fc.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsf99dbd98.jpg

Next it was onto assy of the motor so I could paint it. During assy I noticed that one injector either some dropped or hit with a hammer, Yippy now I get to buy new injectors. Order up a set of 5x.012”
IMG_3692_zpsa5a62eb2.jpg

Got the motor painted, transmission installed and in the truck ready for the body togo back down. At this time I wish I would have ran the exhaust but due to some outside reason I didn’t.
IMG_3694_zpsda9f0083.jpg

IMG_3695_zps969837ce.jpg

IMG_3702_zps976f478f.jpg

IMG_3703_zpsda99d72e.jpg

And its in there.
IMG_3712_zpsd4d45b56.jpg

TurboM700

Reaction score
Next was exhaust, During expecting of the turbo that came with the motor the Wastegate was froze up, After trying to free it up I purchased a HE351 and CR manifold. Like man who have done this swap no, they don’t make a Downpipe to fit these trucks. I order a complete exhaust for the X from diamond Eye. To be nice it fit like crap, I spent many hrs fitting the back part that went over the axle so it wouldn’t hit the shock, gas tank etc. I’m very happy how it turned out but there was a ton of cutting and welding just on the back part. I also had to make my own downpipe that actually seemed eaiser.
IMG_4063_zpsfa0b9472.jpg

IMG_4064_zpsd0a3efeb.jpg

I’m very picky on how exhaust exits a truck not to low, not to high, and must be level. I think I accomplished that.
IMG_4065_zpsab083362.jpg

This also gave me a chance to see if it runs and it does Yippy Yippy WIND BACK IN MY SAILS
th_IMG_4066_zps4f47ccef.jpg

Next it was onto the radiator and such. I don’t have any pics of it but I can get some. What I did was use the V10 fan and cut the threads off the water pump and welded them onto the hub for the CR pulley. It was way more involved then that lots of machine work to get it right but it works. The fan sits perfectly centered in the shroud.
After that was intercooler piping and air filter. (getting close)
Order a pipe kit and started cutting.
IMG_4010_zps80f98097.jpg

IMG_4117_zps4e3d0a82.jpg

IMG_4201_zpsda0a02fa.jpg

Air cleaner Pipe Good ole 6637 filter
IMG_4205_zps3ab71900.jpg

Next was onto wiring and battery. The main power was all run with 0 gauge wire. I also was able to sneak two full size batterys on the drivers side it was tight thou. You will also notice my custom PS tank I made.
IMG_4207_zps2ef4d0dd.jpg

IMG_4067_zpsa4cd3ffc.jpg

For the tach I took the factory dodge dampner(which I had to buy) and machined to extra grooves for a total of 4 and then used the factory crankshaft sensor out of the ford for a pick up.
Worked awesome, Getting the wires routed out was not ideal but for now it works I’ll change them down the road.
IMG_4202_zpsc46b9764.jpg

th_IMG_4143_zps0a05249f.jpg

The vehicle even came with remote start and I was able to get that to work.
th_IMG_4166_zps177f23d5.jpg

Made quick bracket and mounted the Cruise Control.
IMG_4206_zpsfe6bb4db.jpg

Also these tires that came with the truck are really noisy, since I don’t drive my red truck a ton I deiced todo some switching much better now.
This is how the vehicle sits now. Need to paint the grill and give the truck a good buffing. I have a little over 1000 mile on it(in a week) and have average 19.6mpg. I have done zero tuning on the pump the only thing I have added was a Tork Tech OFV and 4k Springs.
I have a few little things to fix here and there like a small oil leak, and the back up alarm doesn’t work. Otherwise everything works like it should.
IMG_4164_zpsa801a0e9.jpg

00X7.3PSD

Reaction score
Good job on the conversion. All that fab work scare me. You have better than average skill. Now I'm not sure if I can accomplish a cummins swap.:shrug:

Thank you for sharing.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Turned out nice! what was the intercooler pipes made of?

Thanks I'm very happy with the truck and the wife loves it (which is the only thing that matters)lol

I bought this "kit" cut and welded my own piping together. I have done this on a bunch of different projects and it works out great. Getting better at figuring out where the cuts need to be.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/aluminum-pipes/aluminum-pipe-p-764.html

Here's a pic of the first intake I ever build turned out OK but man it was a PITA to figure out.
IMG_2187.jpg

mandkole

Reaction score
How does it run now? In the vid, although there was an exhaust leak, there was a bad miss when you got back to the pipe. Were you able to clear that up?

Overall, nice work and quite the project.

TurboM700

Reaction score
How does it run now? In the vid, although there was an exhaust leak, there was a bad miss when you got back to the pipe. Were you able to clear that up?

Overall, nice work and quite the project.

Good ear, Miss was #4 valves adjusters not tight. They slowly were backing off causing that sound. Took me a min to figure it out but sounds like a normal 12v now. lol

Latest posts

Members online