Hey Big Rig Guys!

eng53ine

Reaction score
Quick question, this is on a Cat can't remember the specifics of the motor. It's in 90 Chevy Kodiak fire engine, is this normal or excessive wear that will lead to failure. Thanks.

47f8b95415136da22aa524cc8588930a.jpg

https://vimeo.com/108897217

Should this boot be replaced?

5bb9ea79e327cc284828777434fb2841.jpg

Thanks

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637, IH bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel.

duddy

Reaction score
yes, change the boot. Then piece on the alternator that you are spinning is the cooling fan. It should be solid, not sure if you can buy it seperate to remove the pulley and change it, otherwise just change the whole aternator.

eng53ine

Reaction score
yes, change the boot. Then piece on the alternator that you are spinning is the cooling fan. It should be solid, not sure if you can buy it seperate to remove the pulley and change it, otherwise just change the whole aternator.

Thanks for the reply, maybe a new boot will make it not be a turd lol. I'll have to get researching on that alternator.

02 ccsb, lariat, 7.3 auto, 4x4, 4" duals, 6637, IH bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel.

duddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, maybe a new boot will make it not be a turd lol. I'll have to get researching on that alternator.

Boot is no question they are cheap. Alternator, if it was me, I would just do new and not worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Boot is no question they are cheap. Alternator, if it was me, I would just do new and not worry about it. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks again

smcox1

Reaction score
Glad to see you made the big corner and didn't hit the wall lol!!! And I think I saw you in south fork a few weekends ago.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
If the cat in the kodak is a3126 there's no way to make it not a turd without serious mods they are low pose turds under any sort of real load

idshred

Reaction score
I saw this truck yesterday at the local scrap yard while my dad and I were dropping a load of aluminum off. I went back this morning and asked the owner more about it. He bought it to be a yard truck. It runs, drives, and shifts. He said he didn't use it because the frame was too rotted.

pete2.jpg

pete1.jpg

pete7.jpg

pete5.jpg

Hopefully you can see in the pictures. The frame is corroded underneath the 5th wheel on the outside of both rails. There was too much old grease on the inside of the rails to tell what condition the inside was in. I looked the frame over for a good 10 minutes and this was the only places I could find that looked like that. The aluminum is flaking off. I could pull the layers back with my hands.

What do you think it would take to fix this?

stroker2

Reaction score
Glad to see you made the big corner and didn't hit the wall lol!!! And I think I saw you in south fork a few weekends ago.

Yeah i think i remember passing you. I was on my way to look at a trailer. That snowy pic with the pete was when i was on my way to pick the trailer up

What are the plans for the Pete?

its been gone through mechanically already. Just needs body work and paint and interior refurbishing

stroker2

Reaction score
That's awesome! What year, specs, etc.?

Thank you! Its a '94 379 with a 3406c converted to a B style pump and been built to 700hp. 13spd, 2spd rears on air trac. Been stretched to 290" with new frame rails (no welding or splices). American class interior. Cosmetic work to come and I will probably go with a different turbo setup

smcox1

Reaction score
Thank you! Its a '94 379 with a 3406c converted to a B style pump and been built to 700hp. 13spd, 2spd rears on air trac. Been stretched to 290" with new frame rails (no welding or splices). American class interior. Cosmetic work to come and I will probably go with a different turbo setup

What do you plan on doing to the exterior?

stroker2

Reaction score
Here is another shot of it. I have cleaned it up a bit since the first pics but it needs more. The trailer is going to get some paint on the under carriage along with some aluminum acid to brighten it up a bit.

IMG_0173_zps6175402b.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online