ZF-5 to E40d swap info needed

ghohouston

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 97ccsb, 4x4 auto, manual shift t case, and will be going to a 12 valve/nv4500 swap very soon. I know the majority of the parts just swap over, but as far as drive shafts go, i can just find a junkyard rear driveshaft, but for the front, can i use his? wouldnt it be the same? the transfer case was the same for the f250 as the 350, correct? any other info i need to know? theres not exactly much info on this swap, as usually its the other way around.
Flywheel, the auto flywheel will just bolt in the current bellhousing, right?

ghohouston

Reaction score
and as far as my buddy and his swap, what parts from my manual setup will he need to make the nv4500 work, if anyone on here knows?

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
When I did my D60 swap I had to change the front yoke on the t-case to the 350 style it uses a double cardan joint style Yoke and the 250's don't. I would just take his shaft and use it as the distance to the front diff will be changed when you put the e4od in there. The rear shaft you'll probably need a yard one.

ghohouston

Reaction score
When I did my D60 swap I had to change the front yoke on the t-case to the 350 style it uses a double cardan joint style Yoke and the 250's don't. I would just take his shaft and use it as the distance to the front diff will be changed when you put the e4od in there. The rear shaft you'll probably need a yard one.

alrighty, thanks.

old man dave

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a 97ccsb, 4x4 auto, manual shift t case, and will be going to a 12 valve/nv4500 swap very soon. I know the majority of the parts just swap over, but as far as drive shafts go, i can just find a junkyard rear driveshaft, but for the front, can i use his? wouldnt it be the same? the transfer case was the same for the f250 as the 350, correct? any other info i need to know? theres not exactly much info on this swap, as usually its the other way around.
Flywheel, the auto flywheel will just bolt in the current bellhousing, right?

The auto trans housing has a integral bell housing so no clearance problems. There's a ring spacer for the auto flexplate you have to use. Hopefully both trucks are Federal so the PCMs will swap. The auto PCM is needed so the auto will shift.

ghohouston

Reaction score
The auto trans housing has a integral bell housing so no clearance problems. There's a ring spacer for the auto flexplate you have to use. Hopefully both trucks are Federal so the PCMs will swap. The auto PCM is needed so the auto will shift.

As far as i know, his is federal, i know mine is. If for some odd reason his is a cali truck, couldnt i just get my chip reburned for split shots and use it?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
ive swaped auto to zf and back to auto the front shaft out of the 250 will work fine ive still got my factory 250 shaft with a d60 rear auto shaft is shorter harness pcm pedals crossmember 4x4 shift linkage all need swapped

old man dave

Reaction score
My buddy also did the double time auto to stick back to auto drill. We had a complete stick truck to strip and we got everything including the blank cover for the PRNDL indicator, doghouse, transfer case and steering column. By the service manual auto out, stick back in. Everything that was different we had. Did have to cut driveshaft since his truck was a ECLB and the donor was a CCLB. Six months later the auto went back in. Developed tired left leg syndrome. :D

Make sure you get the harness to the auto transmission Transmission Range Sensor to make the interlocks and backup lights to work. Come to think about it you may need to get the engine harness also, not just the short one to the auto trans.

Last edited:

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
ive swaped auto to zf and back to auto the front shaft out of the 250 will work fine ive still got my factory 250 shaft with a d60 rear auto shaft is shorter harness pcm pedals crossmember 4x4 shift linkage all need swapped

This is true at stock height but if you plan on lifting ever I'd go with the double cardan shaft much smoother.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Correct but from what Dave was saying if it is a Cali truck you will need all the things he listed

This is true at stock height but if you plan on lifting ever I'd go with the double cardan shaft much smoother.

Right, i understand i'd need to do so for the cali pcm. And i do not believe in lifting my trucks, so that wont ever be a problem for me.

old man dave

Reaction score
Right, i understand i'd need to do so for the cali pcm. And i do not believe in lifting my trucks, so that wont ever be a problem for me.

Repinning is only if you are switching Federal and California PCMs. Usually California to Federal since the California PCMs are really hard to find.

Also if you switch from OBS to SD PCM for better tuning strategy or you are doing the E4OD to 4R100 swap.

The auto transmission has the the TRS plug on the drivers side and the solenoid pack plug on the passenger side that the stick harness will not have.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score

Just fy not trying to argue but my avatar pic is 9 inch lift with 44s with the stock 250 front shaft worked fine not saying the 350 shaft wouldnt have been better but it worked

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
Just fy not trying to argue but my avatar pic is 9 inch lift with 44s with the stock 250 front shaft worked fine not saying the 350 shaft wouldnt have been better but it worked

I don't intend to argue as well information is king here for me. Now I'm interested I had a 4" lift Sky RSK SD kit and the 250 shaft was hitting my trans cross member. Are you running an auto or a handshaker? Did you modify your crossmember?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
Was running an auto at the time with the stick and the shorter front shaft it was little close but it didnt stay lifted long with the stick i got tired of driving a monster truck as dd