Strange coolant problem

ohiostroker95

Reaction score
Ive been having a coolant problem with my 6.4 lately. Engine has 7xxx miles on it and has arp headstuds when the engine was done. About 3 months ago i had the coolant in my truck flushed and a coolant filter added at the same time. After 1000 miles i changed the coolant filter, when i did it, i didnt know it had the valves you have to close when you change it. So air got in the cooling system. Ive been keeping a close eye on the coolant level and ive been adding coolant since i changed the filter. This morning there was more coolant in it than there should be. Way more than I've ever put in it. And i smell coolant up by the engine with the truck off. Theres no oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. And its not blowing out the degas bottle cap. Temps are still perfect. Dont think the headgasket is blown with having studs.

Any ideas?

Rubenk

Reaction score
I had to monkey with mine for quite a while this last time we pulled the cab. Coolant level kept swinging wildly until it finally settled down and hasnt moved anymore.

Just keep an eye on it and keep filling it up as needed.

Rubenk

Reaction score
But would it be normal for it to have more coolant in it all the sudden? Right now its a hair over the dont not fill past line

Mine did that a few times. Drove it to the track and it was like 3" over the full line, drained some out, then it was way low next heat cycle. Just kept chasing it till it bled out.

Pockets

Reaction score
I did my coolant filter about 3 months ago and smell it all the time from outside the truck but I've never found a leak or anything

Sent from my V10 using Tapacrap

Reaction score
After driving the truck to full temp then when it is completely cooled off and you open the cap is there a sound of pressure releasing? If there is usually that's a sign additional pressure entered the system from some where else... possible head gaskets.

Members online

No members online now.