2012 F350 4x4 with death wobble? Help/ideas?

RedSmokey

Reaction score
We have a 2012 F350 ext cab long bed 4x4 with death wobble. Has about 38k miles on it. It has been to the dealership MANY times already and they couldn't figure it out. Recently was taken to a shop and they can't figure it out either. The truck was recently put in a ditch and had to be pulled out. Thats when this all started, the frame was checked and is straight. All front end components have been looked at while at the dealership and shop, everything checks out. While driving down the road/highway over 50mph when the truck hits a bump or whatever, it will cause the wobble. The weird thing is it doesn't do it all the time. But when it does happen, the whole truck shakes/shimmys and they have to let it slow its self down enough to stop the wobble.

They are putting new tires on it (still has original tires) and I suggested trying a steering stabalizer to my boss. Any recomendations on a specific brand stabalizer?

Any idea's on what could be causing the death wobble?

Any help is appreciated

Atsah

Reaction score
Is it an XL with the steel rims?

On edit: If it has been looked at a lot allready I would think they were able to check balance..

Last edited:

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
We had a work truck (work for the rail road) that had death wobble in 18k miles. Ended up being 3 bad tires. (One was replaced due to a flat) we abuse tires here driving on heavy stone all day every day, but all the other brands have lasted more then 18k miles. Im thinking the factory tires on the new truck are just JUNK

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Well, it would be nice if the new tires fix the problem. They already put toyo's on the other truck (a 2011 F350 with exact same loadout), but it never had this issue. This truck is getting the same tires as the other. I think they might still put the stableizer on though, just in case. If so, suggestions on which one would be good is appreciated.

Layson

Reaction score
Did they every check the alignment? That track rod could be toast, sometimes you can't just grab a hold of it and shake it to feel if it is loose. Did they check to make sure a shock isn't blown out?

Did they pull it out of the ditch from the front axle? I have seen guys do that before.. LOL

RedSmokey

Reaction score
They checked all that, and im not sure how they pulled it out lol

As for shocks, im not sure if they checked those or not...

Layson

Reaction score
LOL, yeah you never know. I have seen guys get pulled out by steering components... LOL.

That track rod could have just a touch of play in it that you can't feel by grabbing a hold of it and shaking it.

RedSmokey

Reaction score
Yea, i mentioned the track bar components to them too. Guess we'll see what happens with tires, maybe shocks if they are cheap enough. They don't want to waste money just randomly throwing parts at it. It actually could use the new tires, and we'll check out the shocks.