Crossover steering on a budget. Possible or not?

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Anyone have any pointers or parts lists for doing crossover steering for cheap? Time to replace tie rod ends and don't want to have to replace them again in another few months.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Cheap and steering are not things that need to be put in the same sentence. Steering is like brakes, don't "rig up" either one.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Not trying to rig it up. Want to do a good setup but I am on a budget. Full time student with 5 kids takes up most of my money. Just trying to see if I can do it cheaper by getting parts individually or from better sources. Every kit I've found is pretty expensive. Just looking for opinions and pointers.

m j

Reaction score
kingpin d60?

the most expensive part is going to be the panhard bar corrections
to do it yourself you need a reamer and two taps that are 7/8"-18

m j

Reaction score
knuckle would have to be machined flat and drilled to accept a steering arm. not a home brew thing

97strokerHD

Reaction score
I know the knuckle would have to be machined. The school I go to I basically have access to a full machine shop and people to help me out with it. Just wondering if the rest of it could be done easier and for less cost.

m j

Reaction score
to use the common chevy application DLE ( they have a higher misalignment then the TRE. moog part numbers es2027 and es2026 ) you have to ream the steering arm. the Xkut reamer 1.5"/foot is a good one. then you can buy some 1.25" x 0.219 wall DOM tubing that can be direct threaded for the 7/8"-18tpi extra fine threads.

so if you buy two taps and a reamer it can be done inexpensively

Latest posts

Members online