Powerstroke214's build thread

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
do it right, once.

Doing it right would be putting a built trans in it, not an option. So I'll be doing it twice, unfortunately. But I don't want to do it 3 times, if that makes sense.

dont you work at a truck dealer? any chance he has a stock trans laying around you can throw in the truck and then build the one thats in it now?

Thought about that, he used it 2 weeks before mine went out…his current contributions are discounted prices from ford and the LLY I'm driving.

Honestly if that's all you plan on doing, just pick up a decent used trans.

Also considering that. Just scared to get one that I haven't seen/felt run.

Again, I fully intend to do this twice. Already people were saying "your trans is gonna hate you" and since it went out, then I can't see leaving a stock converter and internals in it. But right now, I can't to put a $4k + trans. Already did studs, injectors and suspension this yea, and between that and school, I don't have that much money to throw around.

Really wishing I'd sold the damn thing and gotten a 6.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
So give us your infinite wisdom all mighty 6.0 god. Your last 2 posts in here have been so helpful to the situation at hand.

From what it sounded like he wasn't even planning on looking into it further than just a converter. He also on a budget since it just came back from a massive, for a college student, amount of $$ being dumped into it. And if he can't afford a build right now, i.e. DPC converter, billet shafts, raybestos clutches, then using your train of thought, it seems he should reinstall the factory, work out, clutch discs and just replace the bad one. At least I'm throwing him an idea.
I've been talking with him so just go back to your corner.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
Phil I've been in a very similar position. Converters are dirt cheap.

As hoover said a junkyard trans is not a horrible idea. I paid 700 for a junkyard 6.4 trans and used my old 6.0 converter but sounds like you'll need a 6.0 trans because you need a converter.

My junkyard trans lasted 2 months but it made about 20 12 second passes then lost the direct clutch (thanks **********)

Berman said something about not taking a loan out for a trans..... that's exactly what I did and don't regret it one bit.

Does the truck still start? It's not common but you might have broken the flexplate.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Phil I've been in a very similar position. Converters are dirt cheap.

As hoover said a junkyard trans is not a horrible idea. I paid 700 for a junkyard 6.4 trans and used my old 6.0 converter but sounds like you'll need a 6.0 trans because you need a converter.

My junkyard trans lasted 2 months but it made about 20 12 second passes then lost the direct clutch (thanks **********)

Berman said something about not taking a loan out for a trans..... that's exactly what I did and don't regret it one bit.

Does the truck still start? It's not common but you might have broken the flexplate.

Truck starts and idles like a champ still. I'll look at used 5Rs today.

I got 175s to "save" the trans. At this point, I wish I'd done 190s. Be a little more fun after the trans is upgraded. And turbo

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I'll cut you a deal on the one I have for sale right now since my truck is an 08.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'll cut you a deal on the one I have for sale right now since my truck is an 08.

I appreciate it, and definitely considering it. I wanted to put a 6.4 pan and filter on it. And the low miles on yours is nice. Only problem is shipping and having to get a converter. I'll make a decision later today or early tomorrow, so I'll be in touch, thanks.

Trans is being torn apart right now by one of the few diesel shops I trust locally. Said converter and input appear fine.

1e32154b01ac5449e2dc5d26cecf9595.jpg

Pan and fluid

They're gonna keep digging into it. Probably still gonna put a used trans in it.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I'm up in the air on doing anything else to the truck, so I was wondering if a 2200 stall converter would be optimal for pmax? Part of me wants to go nonvgt (62-64) or a 68 vgt eventually but for now, I just want to make sure 2200 would be font

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Failure was a clutch drum. Felt like an eternity but I'm glad it's back up and running. Haven't really gotten the chance to beat on it but it's definitely "overbuilt" in the sense that I don't ever anticipate being within 100hp of the warrantied hp level. Feels different than before, that's for sure. My mom commented that it seemed to shift smoother but I honestly don't remember. I have noticed that when it downshifts and locks the converter, it does so a lot firmer and quicker. It's nice to not have to worry about the trans coming apart(since it already did lol). Didn't purchase through a sponsor so I won't try pimping his product, but I'm just glad the ol girl is back on the road.

Definitely didn't anticipate doing all I have to it lol, it's a far cry from the original studs, exhaust, tune and level I'd originally planned when I got it, and it still has a ways to go

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Wanting a update.......is this truck still alive or nah lol

Yea it's alive lol not much has changed in a while. No limit intake and tint are like the only changes in months.

Getting HORRIBLE fuel economy. 13.4 from Baton Rouge to Houston, doing 70-75. Struggles to get over 10.5 in the city. Thinking it's an injector issue.

The excitement for this thing is all but gone. Have a little want for a KC stg2 or stg2r and newer 205/30 injectors and a fuel system but that's really it.

Grille bubbling so might do a Harley one. Need cab bushings and to look at front end as tires are chopping and I don't know anything ab front ends.

Pics:
fd41515a91e79c747e4a76bb7c8cf362.jpg

6e60eb982129a012eb3279a29149683d.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yea it's alive lol not much has changed in a while. No limit intake and tint are like the only changes in months.

Getting HORRIBLE fuel economy. 13.4 from Baton Rouge to Houston, doing 70-75. Struggles to get over 10.5 in the city. Thinking it's an injector issue.

The excitement for this thing is all but gone. Have a little want for a KC stg2 or stg2r and newer 205/30 injectors and a fuel system but that's really it.

Grille bubbling so might do a Harley one. Need cab bushings and to look at front end as tires are chopping and I don't know anything ab front ends.

Pics:
fd41515a91e79c747e4a76bb7c8cf362.jpg

6e60eb982129a012eb3279a29149683d.jpg

how many miles on tire rotation since last done?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online