single 66 or drop in 72??

nickg9785

Reaction score
ok guys im going to be studding my truck this winter and trying to get all my parts in order. while i have it apart im going to do RCD valve train and 6.0 mainfolds and up pipes. only thing im trying to decide is if i go single or drop in 72. i was planning on going with midwest diesels singe kit. truck never tows and is never daily driven. im going to be stock fuel. i like the claner look of the single but i also like the drivebilty of the compunds. any help would be appreciated, thanks guys

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Do the atmo. Regardless of what you do it will be the best of every world. Put a gate on it as well if the funds allow.

The single sounds good because of cost and sound of the exhaust...but there are a lot of places it lacks in comparison.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Thats hard to say.... Obviously you'll lose spool up with a 66. On stock fuel I'm not really sure that a 66 will give you any more power than a 72mm drop in would do. If it never tows and is not a daily driver, although people do daily drive this, bite the bullet and go with a 72mm single. I believe people run them on stock fuel with success, and it'll make more power then a 66 or 72 drop in. Worst case if its too laggy for your liking, you can sell the 72 and just swap it for the 66 with little to no modification. It all depends on what you'd rather have.

nickg3130

Reaction score
Damn there's another nickg on here. I'm out.

Edit:

But on a serious note. I've contradicted the same thing numerous times. And I honestly don't think you'll ever get a straight answer. I have just a 71mm drop in and the truck runs great, but I still have the urge to do the single.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Damn there's another nickg on here. I'm out.

Edit:

But on a serious note. I've contradicted the same thing numerous times. And I honestly don't think you'll ever get a straight answer. I have just a 71mm drop in and the truck runs great, but I still have the urge to do the single.

I thought it was you at first LOL... I had to take a real good look.

TX_S

Reaction score
I have a 68mm single on stock fuel and really like the way it drives. Not sure which would put out more power but the single sounds great got 16 mpg after driving an hour and a half racing and then filling up. So I figure it got about 18mpg. The lag isn't too bad but if ur roll racing better break boost. I've heard great things about the drop ins and planned in doin one but chose the single route. GOOD LUCK!

nickg3130

Reaction score
I have a 68mm single on stock fuel and really like the way it drives. Not sure which would put out more power but the single sounds great got 16 mpg after driving an hour and a half racing and then filling up. So I figure it got about 18mpg. The lag isn't too bad but if ur roll racing better break boost. I've heard great things about the drop ins and planned in doin one but chose the single route. GOOD LUCK!

Is it a 400 series charger?

B585Ford

Reaction score
OP,
Honestly, I think the only person that can answer this question is you. Both setups have Pros and Cons which it sounds like you understand. You have to decide what is most important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice. It would be helpful if you could ride in each setup (especially the single) to see how you like it. Hopefully someone on here is near where you live has a similar setup.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Is it a 400 series charger?

Judging by his signature..... Yes.

You'll love a drop in 72 if you go that route also. I've had a 71/stock vgt, 72/59 and now a 76/59 and they keep getting more and more fun

nickg3130

Reaction score
Judging by his signature..... Yes.

You'll love a drop in 72 if you go that route also. I've had a 71/stock vgt, 72/59 and now a 76/59 and they keep getting more and more fun

My bad I didn't see his signature on tapatalk.

Didnt you run a single for a little while also?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Yes I did. I ran a billet 66, then a billet 71 and last a billet 67. All those single set ups were inbetween the 72/59 and 76/59. I change turbos more often than my underwear lol

johnp115

Reaction score
The only way you'll be able to get a definite answer before you do it is to ride in a single turbo 6.4. Some people like it some don't. You're not going to get the answer you want.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Honestly I like driving the single better. We have trucks here with both set ups on them, and the single truck is funner to drive in my opinion. With the proper turbo set up and tuning, the turbo can come up just as fast as the stock ones do and offer a performance gain at the same time. We have plenty of kits in stock, feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

http://hs-motorsports.com/turbo-kits/08-10-ford-6-4l-single-turbo-kit.html

nickg9785

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a single. I like the simplicity of it and the clean look. I spoke with MPD and they said I could get away with a single 72 being that I'm at sea level

johnp115

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a single. I like the simplicity of it and the clean look. I spoke with MPD and they said I could get away with a single 72 being that I'm at sea level

Single 472 on stock nozzles?? people usually run 60's with that turbo. I would stick with a 66. Or try and get your hands on a 367. Im at sea level and ran a 66 on stock fuel.. I would definitely not any bigger than that on stock fuel.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Honestly I like driving the single better. We have trucks here with both set ups on them, and the single truck is funner to drive in my opinion. With the proper turbo set up and tuning, the turbo can come up just as fast as the stock ones do and offer a performance gain at the same time. We have plenty of kits in stock, feel free to pm me if you have any more questions.

http://hs-motorsports.com/turbo-kits/08-10-ford-6-4l-single-turbo-kit.html

I agree with zane. I'm running a 66 single and tow with it and it's a fun truck to drive. I'm comfortable pulling 5-7k on it without worrying about egt's, boost, drive pressure etc with my higher stall converter. I have a gate on there from my stock chargers, but it doesn't even open. Depending on use, different chargers are going to react different. I believe to get as close to stock spooling as you can on stock fuel a 62fmw or 65fmw will be a good charger. Really fun charger would be a GT4094r,morgan has done a couple and says it runs awesome. Waiting to drop a slightly different one in mine which I fill will be awesome. If you want pricing, let me know :thumbsup:

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
My vote would go to the drop in 72. I'm a little biased because it's what I run but my trucks runs awesome and has low egts. The backpressure stays around 67psi on a 1/4 run. But on stock fuel I couldn't see myself runnin anything else.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
Getting into a single set up is not that much money... So I would say the best thing for the OP to do is bite the bullet and try it with a cheaper style single like a 366. If you like it you can start playing with different chargers and fine tune from there... If not switch back to stock style and sell the single kit. There are a lot of pros and cons to a single and after my expirence with them, anyone debating it really has to put some miles on a single kit to get a feel for if they really like it or not as a whole.

Jbird

Reaction score
So if i had MWD s300 kit with the 66/74 i wouldnt have to worry about fuel with good tuning?

Latest posts

Members online