6.4 2.6 pulling truck build

Reaction score
So I've been working on this for a while and have managed to keep this thing under pretty good wraps until now. Some of your have seen pics and even fewer have seen it in person. I didn't want to have a 8 month long build thread so I held it all in and took quite a few pictures during the process.

This build is a personal goal of mine to put a powerstroke in the top of some if the most fierce pulling competition in the us. Midwest 2.6 diesel pulling is mostly dominated by cummins with a lot of duramax's working their way in the winners circle too.

I've pulled big block gas fords for years. Between me and my brother we set out to put fords in the top for our class. In our last year we had the two top running modified gas trucks in most of Illinois. Better yet they were sometimes the only ford powered trucks pulling at a given event. I've waited patiently for years knowing that building a 6.0 or 7.3 is futile for 2.6 diesel class. I've been wanting to do a 6.4 and finally pulled the trigger on an 09 f350 cab and chassis 4x4 ZF6 truck.

So here it is

09 f350 200k miles

165" wheel base

10' bed

Dana 80 37 spline, spool

300m axles, ultimate 80 cover

ZF 6 with southbend 3850 double disk

Running dual k16 with our custom mount

Ported rails

Our ported heads

Colt billet stage 2 cam

Custom ported intake

Custom turbo mount for single

Rear k16 delete

Oil cooler delete

Front cover delete

Electric water pump

Electric power steering

Electric fan

Custom fuel cell in weight box

A1000 pump with all custom fuel system

100% nozzles for now

New block

R&R rods

Cut and coated pistons

Arp studs

Balanced rotating assembly

Ati damper

Custom ccv out of each valve cover

Borg-Warner turbo for now

Steed speed manifolds

Custom stainless uppipes

1200 Hp frozenboost air to water intercooler

Removable front clip

6-315/70r17 Bfg all terrains

Totally gutted and lots of customnness.....

Of yeah and a hoodstack!

Reaction score
ega6emaj.jpg

Here she is when I drove to Oklahoma City to pick it up. That trip cost me an engine when my tow rig scattered rods on the interstate halfway there about 6 hour from home. But that's a whole nother story.

8y9u5ema.jpg

First order of business was losing the bumper

2u5ygyhe.jpg

And commence to stripping a truck that I just purchased and was a perfect runner down to nothing!

araqanyj.jpg

hatyruja.jpg

uvuvevyv.jpg

u7a5enez.jpg

y8u8uny4.jpg

rebazy6e.jpg

And there it sets gutted waiting five months to get a spot back in the shop for some love (hence why i didn't start a build thread then). Although it got some tires more for for pulling.

Reaction score
y6ymadu9.jpg

Lots of busy work kept me from doing a whole lot for a while.

y4y2a6e9.jpg

You'll understand this pic when you see a later one.

u3apene8.jpg

Some mock up work

eharu2eb.jpg

pymu3uge.jpg

u6ahu7yd.jpg

And more ........

hu3y3utu.jpg

You may notice a recurring theme of things never attempted before on a 6.4

a3ahy2u6.jpg

Like those and this

huzyzuga.jpg

And how can you go wrong with help like this

Reaction score
ajyqe4uz.jpg

Time to get some room in the shop for pull truck work

judarape.jpg

More stripping. Everything that's not important is unbolted, pried, beat or cut off!

a4a6u5an.jpg

Removable front clip in the making

ygu3unet.jpg

za7ajypu.jpg

nevu7ebu.jpg

That should make the above picture clearer.

dy2yty2a.jpg

Looking like something now!

u5aqa7e7.jpg

Mmmmmmm, hoodstack! (In Homer Simpson voice)

2yvu6enu.jpg

u6e7y5ez.jpg

besa2emy.jpg

Reaction score
In the last week we built the new engine, pulled the mockup engine (the one you have seen in the pics so far) are in process of installing the built engine and working out all the custom bugs. Hopefully a startup vid in the next few days!

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
I love when build threads go like this. That things is nasty, looks very week put together and I hope it does well for you. Got plans to make it to any pulls in Alabama? I know the two day in tanner is reasonably popular.

Reaction score
It's gonna make as many pulls as possible. I wouldn't mind going to Alabama. But I'm sure we will have a lot of "dialing in". Hoping to get the majority of the bugs gone before the diesel extravaganza.

Coxey Diesel

Reaction score
It's gonna make as many pulls as possible. I wouldn't mind going to Alabama. But I'm sure we will have a lot of "dialing in". Hoping to get the majority of the bugs gone before the diesel extravaganza.

Sweet! I'll keep an eye on how it's going, I want to see this thing in the flesh.

Jbenso127

Reaction score
Awesome Morgan! Been looking forward to this build thread since you were tellin me about it and showing me some pictures at TS! Can't wait to see it breathin'!

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Wow Morgan! This is looking flat out awesome! It kills me to see 40 dodges, 20 duramaxes, and 10 fords(6 of them running a cummins and 4 of them barely modified) at every pull I seem to go to. I'll be following this to the end. And what rpms are you planning to run in this beast? And the charger has been clipped i would assume too? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious about this one! Too bad your so far away or I'd be donating some time to help on this!

Reaction score
Wow Morgan! This is looking flat out awesome! It kills me to see 40 dodges, 20 duramaxes, and 10 fords(6 of them running a cummins and 4 of them barely modified) at every pull I seem to go to. I'll be following this to the end. And what rpms are you planning to run in this beast? And the charger has been clipped i would assume too? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious about this one! Too bad your so far away or I'd be donating some time to help on this!

It will end up running a good clipped wheel precision or hx60. But for now its gonna run the S475. I'd rather now take out a $5-6k charger trying to get things dialed in. If the S blows or I decide that it's ready, I will put a good charger on it.

Reaction score
sadyny4y.jpg

How it looked this morning when I walked in

edehu7y5.jpg

It will totally be runnable without the front clip as the radiator now stays with the frame. Takes 5 minutes to remove the front clip and the hood usually stays on the truck. But we pulled the hood this time to get enough room to pull the engine without lifting the cab.

y6umy4ev.jpg

Here a pic of the octopus. There's lines everywhere lol. There literally isn't one factory oil, coolant or fuel line on this truck. If I knew how much I spent on lines and fitting I would probably be sick. I'm guessing at least couple thousand right now.

9ahy4uqa.jpg

ehy7ygy2.jpg

The sexy RCD oil pan. Jared drove down last weekend and brought me parts (mainly because I bought at hooters) and immediately said that I have to run the fancy aluminum pan. So thanks to my little buddy it's now rocking some bling from head to toe!

9asapu3u.jpg

uvyjy3e8.jpg

ute8yhe7.jpg

Sweet live well pump action! Straight from the boat shop lol. It's funny, this truck has up fitter switches and its got electric power steering on #1, engine coolant pump on #2 and after cooler water circulation on #3. I don't think ford ever planned on them being for that. But thank you ford you made my wiring so much easier. Lol, looks like a stock truck on the dash, until you hit the up-fitter and have power steering even without the engine running!

urypupaz.jpg

I still cant get over having a racing seat plus power windows and keyless entry on a pulling truck.

Latest posts

Members online