Gearhead vs. innovative tuning

powerjoker12

Reaction score
I know a lot of guys on here run gearhead and like it, but ive had a few buddies tell me innovative is the way to go. Which one will make more power and has better transmission tuning? Im running a H&S mini max

Last edited:

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Gearhead has the best transmission tuning be a long shot. I haven't had them on my 6.4 but have rode in multiple 6.0's with their tuning and the trans tuning doesn't even compare.

Power will be very close but Gearhead will be cleaner from what I understand. I absolutely love my Gearhead tunes and will never go with anyone else. Here are my track times with Gearhead.
5c879cd5da12b36d191a5d7bef34ee9c.jpg

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I've ran both and I always ended up back at geareadtunes. They were faster and I just preferred how they shifted. But I don't think u can go wrong with either tuners.

Jbird

Reaction score
Currently waiting my gearhead tunes to come in. Local tuner didnt know as much as he thought and couldnt get the shifts smooth after building trans. Anyways im very excited to see what they do

stroker221

Reaction score
Couldn't keep a trans together with innovative. I'm sure it was just my right foot. Waiting for my trac bars then loading gh race tune I just got

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
ill be the opposite. ive ran both. i prefer innovatives shifting and low end fueling more than gearhead.

that being said you cant go wrong with either. matt and eric have both always treated me right, its just personal preference.

powerjoker12

Reaction score
ill be the opposite. ive ran both. i prefer innovatives shifting and low end fueling more than gearhead.

that being said you cant go wrong with either. matt and eric have both always treated me right, its just personal preference.

What did you like better about the low boost fueling?

Rmartin-97

Reaction score

That's what's weird my truck fuels really har on bottom end with gearhead and innovative had no bottom end fuel. Most trucks are the other way around.

vr6dub

Reaction score
I would say innovative as that's who I'm going with on this next go around of tuners for my Mini Max. I've been talking with Eric via email for a while now and explaining all the issues I'm currently having with my Gearhead tunes, Eric has a good understanding of what's wrong and is willing to work with me on getting his tunes to work with the truck. He responds in a respectable timeframe, he asks a ton of questions, has you try out a bunch of different scenarios to get a good understanding of the issue. Eric's communication and actual attempts in getting to the issue and understanding the issue has been greatly appreciated and thus why I would spend the money on his tunes.

And here's the reasoning for me even though I'm probably going to burn a bridge here but o'well... After multiple emails to Gearhead and repeatedly being told its my truck and it cant be the tune. Despite it being in the shop multiple times having everything mechanical checked and rechecked, and sensors tested and changed even though their good because it might be a what if. My truck doesn't change, its still a freaking smoking pig at all power levels, shifting is harsh as eff, especially when it goes into 5tc, still having random shifting flares when on it at partial throttle, and still no rework of the tune is provided, just more excuses given and to have other things to have checked mechanically because it can't be the tune and the tune works on all the other trucks. Funny because there's all sorts of posts saying how people have had Gearhead do some additional tuning to get their truck spot on. Honestly, my truck runs basically the same either on Gearheads or the 300HD tunes. After all the visits to the shop and having everything I'm told to check done and then some, my truck couldn't have a cleaner bill of health from the shop. At this point frustration has set in and has lead me to look in other directions for a better option.

Latest posts

Members online