Ford or after market filters

John bolt

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I read somewhere that you should only use Ford oil and fuel filters and I forget why. Is this bullsheet cuz they are a lot more money.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Just use OEM. They are patented, and other company's won't make improvements to their own style filters and sell them for less

Wayne

Reaction score
Ford has a big presentation on why Motorcraft only filters are the only way to go on a stock truck. Price isn't that much different, so I don't bother risking it. A lot of competitors have equally good filtration paper, but how the filter seals in the base, and closes the drain valve plays a big role. They have patents on the design preventing others to make them the same way. On fuel filters, the one on the frame also has specific patents involving an air bleed, allowing fuel to filter around the entire element. Others keep air trapped in the housing, preventing full surface filtration. The factory one also has a water repelling sock. Maybe some aftermarket ones have similar designs to be just as good, so maybe there are examples, but I do know some aftermarket designs are significantly inferior. If they find non-oem filters in a warranty vehicle, it's an automatic red flag, and you have to prove it's just as good to get any warranty help. Maybe others have examples of aftermarket filters that address these issues.

78f100

Reaction score
its correct, no bs. The after market ones are not the same length on the oil filters. I just finished a powerstroke class, the instructor showed us the closest oil filter assembly (filter and cap) was way off from spec. I cant remember the exact #s but I have them in my notes.
And like Wayne said the lower fuel filter has a air bleed so the whole filter is in fuel. Some aftermarket ones don't and when removed, half of the filter has never been in fuel from air trapped in the housing.

Last edited:

78f100

Reaction score
Food for thought, I saw a cummins with a melted piston a few months ago. One piston cooling jet was plugged with glue from a oil filter. its not worth cheaping out, and Motorcraft filters are priced close to most quality filters.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
All good points made above and should have made up your mind.
I will just add that Sunrise Ford on here can get you some really great prices on OEM parts, I get a discount at my local dealer and they still beat those prices.
Best of luck...