Power mirror install.

uncool

Reaction score
I did use the search function first.

So my 2000 did not come with power mirrors from the factory. I am going to be adding power mirrors, but I figure I would upgrade with turn signal and heated.

I do have PDL and PW, the wires are not in the harness for the mirrors.

I have the wiring pigtails for the mirrors and he driver door switch panel.

The power for the mirrors and running/turn signal is not an issue.

My question is what controls the heated mirror, where does it get its signal and is it on a timer? A wiring diagram would be nice.

When I get it all done, I will do an install write up.

Thanks

dsberman94

Reaction score
You install a timed switch with a 12v power for the heat. Most use a rear window defrost from an explorer or something like that. A seat heater button should work also.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I wired mine using a Carling switch like this so I could turn them on and off. I installed full power (fold and telescope) 2008+ mirrors on my '02.

5L58A-01.jpg

Last edited:

uncool

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part number for that switch?
And did you get the same style switch for the power fold?

Thanks

Marc

rosspulliam

Reaction score
You can actually get the switch covers laser engraved from a variety of vendors with just about any graphic you can imagine. That particular graphic is fairly widely available so I would shop around.

Here is one supplier that has a ton of examples of Carling switch covers:
http://www.otrattw.net/home.php

This post shows pics of my install (including part numbers for the door side connector+pins if you want to maintain the factory mirror connector for easy disconnect or mirror replacement in the future):
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1230944&postcount=19

I used factory movement/fold switch with the factory power fold relay and factory telescoping switch mounted where the 4x4 panel would be on a 4x4 truck (my truck is 2wd so that dash space was perfect for what I was doing).

I still haven't taken time to actually formally draw it all up so that people can easily reproduce it. I need to. I really do. In the mean time I can answer any questions people have, I have well documented notes here on my desk waiting on me to draw up in Visio for the masses.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.