Batteries

powerlifter405

Reaction score
This may or may not help some folks but here it is.

I'm guessing that a lot of you know the Diehard Platinum battery is supposedly a rebadged Odyssey. At sears as of 11-01-2014 they are 249 each :jawdrop:

I did also see the NIB Odyssey are about a hundred more. Also for those wanted a NIB type absorbed glass mat battery AGM another option is the Oriellys Platinum. I did some research and they are relabeled Deka batteries. The difference in the two is this:

Oriellys AGM: 179 as of 11/2014 here locally.
750 CCA
43ish pounds.

Diehard AGM: 249 as of 11/2014
950 CCA
60+lbs.

I can curl 60's and those Diehards are every bit of 60+lbs. If you're in a colder climate I'd venture the extra CCA can be really helpful as I saw a definite increase in starter speed and ease of start VS the stock Motorcraft batteries at 33* last night.

I'd say the Orielly brand would be great for a gasser or even in dual systems where the weather is warmer.

W/ the 6.0 needing plenty of juice for the FICM and inductive solenoid warming, I went w/ the Diehards.

Anyway hope this helps someone.

PsRumors

Reaction score
If you watch and can plan the battery replacement, Sears will put those batteries on sale a couple times a year for 180ish

Of course Sears will likely be gone before the warranty is up

jschildm

Reaction score
I love my Diehard Platinums. I got them while they were on sale last winter/spring. I can't remember the price for sure though.

Extended Power

Reaction score
I wanted to replace my Yellow Tops with Odyssey batteries, but they were still under their replacement warranty date.
I won't ever buy an Optima battery ever again.
It seems one of the two is ALWAYS failing.

Just something I noticed here in Alberta...Odyssey battery's are $360.00 a pop.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I got the diehard platinums a few months ago. Love them so far. No hard starts in 20 degree weather like I used to have. The 4 year replacement warranty on them is pretty good too.

08SUPERKING

Reaction score
Good to Know and thanks for the info.... The extra cranking power can never hurt...

bruce

Reaction score
I might be worried about the diehard's now. They are awesome batteries but their warranty won't mean sh1t when sears goes under here soon

dfauerbach

Reaction score
I got OEM ford batteries for 129 each so bsically almost 2 for 1 deal compared to the platinum and i've had zero issues

Spatel23

Reaction score
I just had to put new batteries in my 02. It had interstates in it, but someone left the interior lights on for about 2 weeks.

Buddy of mine runs a wrecker service with AAA and I asked him what kind of batteries they had. He said they are all Interstates, just with AAA on them. 850 cca iirc
He gave me 2 for $200 and said they have a 3 year free replacement with him, plus another 3 prorated iirc.
Figured that wasnt too bad.

I usually swear by the Diehard Platinums or other high end batteries, but Im not gonna put those in my 02 LOL

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I have been buying dura last golds for about last five years last week the golds went out at about the 47 month mark I called around looking for inexpensive since I don't drive it much anymore and found some napa premium diesel battery's iirc 1050 cca
For like 120 each with a good pricing plan in effect I will check numbers tomorrow and edit but I will say I haven't heard that starter spin so fast probably all year

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I have been buying dura last golds for about last five years last week the golds went out at about the 47 month mark I called around looking for inexpensive since I don't drive it much anymore and found some napa premium diesel battery's iirc 1050 cca
For like 120 each with a good pricing plan in effect I will check numbers tomorrow and edit but I will say I haven't heard that starter spin so fast probably all year
Dam 1050cca you could drive to the store on the starter LOL

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Can't beat the Costco batteries, cheap damn nice warranty and USA made

There is only a few battery manufacturers now days. I think its around 4-5?

Best of the best is the Odyssey line. But you'll pay for it. 100% virgin lead, others use recycled

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Since odyssey makes the DH platniums I figured I couldn't go wrong. I saw some Napa's here at our local store which across the street from the Co-op I figured they might have something but I couldn't find the 1050 cca. IIRC I found one that was 1035 CA and was 875 CCA. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...y-NAPA-Legend-75-Month/_/R-NBE7565_0389855769

W/ the 950 CCA the DH was the highest CCA I could find in a Group 65. It sat all last week unplugged, cycled the key twice and it started right up in 10* weather.

Either way it's good to have options. When my Sams battery dies in the Bronco I might use the Napa one if I don't go AGM.

Pstrke96

Reaction score

So with said batteries today I left my obs hazards on today for 10 hours truck cranked flawlessly voltage meter was still in the low normal range I was very pleased

dsberman94

Reaction score
If I didn't have these diehard platinums I don't think my truck would have started the other day. Left it sit not plugged it for 2 days in mid 20s and below. Still a slow crank and had to crank it 6 times to get it to finally start. She wasn't happy. But I don't think my old batteries would have been able to do that.

97stoker350

Reaction score
Good batteries will save you in the cold but for <100 bucks get new glow plugs and not have to worry. My obs sat for a the last month unplugged. Came home from college and started in about 1-2 seconds with one key cycle. It's been 20-30 degrees here

79jasper

Reaction score

Know anything about the interstate agm's?
Can't remember the exact model, but he said it would be a little taller than a normal 31.
Said it retailed for around 300, and he could get them for me for 120 a piece.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online