Dyno Proven Comes Through in a Pinch

DocBar

Reaction score
Went to visit Jonathan yesterday to get a HBjr put in and while I was there, he slyly got me to buy a new compressor wheel for my 38R. Well, they get the 38R out and there's a ton of play on the shaft (in and out). Jonathan and his team took very good care of me in a bad situation. Worked late and Jonathan did a great job of writing some new tunes for me. It wasn't a full on live tuning session, but he made it work. I'm now sporting

I can't say enough about the customer service or the time and effort Jonathan went through to make sure my old beast was back up and running.

That old SRP1 I had was leaking like crazy. I'm glad I pulled the trigger when I did and didn't wait til it grenaded.

DocBar

Reaction score
Maybe he can take a moment to respond to the Hydra tuning questions...
I don't think he's avoiding them, I think he just doesn't have time. He never slowed down all day and I was there from 10AM til around 7:30-8PM. Very busy man.

Not making excuses, just what I observed. :gun:

TyCorr

Reaction score
So what the heck did he do for you? He wrote tunes. What about the charger?

DocBar

Reaction score
So what the heck did he do for you? He wrote tunes. What about the charger?

I see a Brute 66 in the Doc's sig... looks like a lot of work was done.
Jonathan slyly talked me into buying a new compressor wheel by placing it in my hand ( it's a well known fact that I can resist anything but temptation) and when we (by that I mean they) got the turbo off, there was a ton of play in the shaft, so he set me up with a good deal on a Brute 66. Actually a pretty nice turbo.

So I ended up with a HBjr, Brute 66 w/ billet wheel and some pretty impressive tunes. He did a very good job of modifying his base tunes in one shot. I tested the modified ones on the 220+ mile trip from Chattanooga back to Augusta.

I can't believe the difference a healthy HPOP makes! I should've done this a long time ago!! Held 3200 psi rock solid during WOT runs in the hot tune. I'm going to have him make some tweaks, but I like them after one day. lol

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Jonathan slyly talked me into buying a new compressor wheel by placing it in my hand and when we (by that I mean they) got the turbo off, there was a ton of play in the shaft, so he set me up with a good deal on a Brute 66. Actually a pretty nice turbo.

So I ended up with a HBjr, Brute 66 w/ billet wheel and some pretty impressive tunes. He did a very good job of modifying his base tunes in one shot. I tested the modified ones on the 220+ mile trip from Chattanooga back to Augusta.

I can't believe the difference a healthy HPOP makes! I should've done this a long time ago!! Held 3200 psi rock solid during WOT runs in the hot tune. I'm going to have him make some tweaks, but I like them after one day. lol

I like his tunes as well... Just wish I could get some updates for the Honey Badger.

Looks like the only way I will get that is if I pretend to be loading them on a TS chip so he will email them... No difference, hell they make you sign a waver anyway...

Sorry, I'll drop out of your thread now.

mandkole

Reaction score
Joe, what updates would you get for the Honey Badger that you wouldnt get for any other good performing pump? Are you still trying to update old tuning written with lower ICP command?

I figured that you'd be one of those guys that would have a laptop in the cab, software loaded with desktop sharing at the ready for a live tuning session... youre slippin LOL

DocBar

Reaction score
Joe, what updates would you get for the Honey Badger that you wouldnt get for any other good performing pump? Are you still trying to update old tuning written with lower ICP command?

I figured that you'd be one of those guys that would have a laptop in the cab, software loaded with desktop sharing at the ready for a live tuning session... youre slippin LOL
OK....that made me feel weird....maybe I need to add more gauges....

mandkole

Reaction score
Haha... Joes a good dude-- havent seen him in ages though..

Doc, Im stoked for you.. that is pretty cool to have that turd of a pump kicked to the curb and Im very curious as to how that compressor works for you.

DocBar

Reaction score
Haha... Joes a good dude-- havent seen him in ages though..

Doc, Im stoked for you.. that is pretty cool to have that turd of a pump kicked to the curb and Im very curious as to how that compressor works for you.
It's noisy, like the 38R, but Jonathan warned me about that. I can feel a bit more pull in the mid range. Don't have enough time to tell on the high end. I'm just going by seat of the pants feel. I had close to 200K miles on the 38R.

The difference between a leaking SRP1 and a healthy HBjr is out of this world. Thanks for being stoked. I am too!! Of course, now I have to talk Jonathan into a HBsr since I'm not convinced I want to deal with twins. I promise, eventually that compound set up and 400/200's will come together!! Even if Tycor is at retirement age!!! LOL

DocBar

Reaction score
Ha haaaa! Thats pretty good there.

Im glad its running good for you.
Got a little daylight drive time on it today and did some WOT runs in the hot tune. Oh. My. God!! The old truck is fun again!!I'm gonna find a strip and get a few passes to see where it's at, but SOTP says well over 550. I wouldn't be surprised if trap speeds put it at >575.

DD and all other tunes ran well and all were smoke free except for the DD tune which would give a puff at take off and a slight haze during WOT runs.

EGT's have looked great on all but the hot tune and I was so busy just trying to stay straight and hold on that I didn't get a chance to glance at them.

Running good is an understatement to me. The truck was running so bad on that failing SRP1 that I forgot how good it used to run. I'm back to permagrinning it! :evil

purplepstroke

Reaction score
I had my truck tuned by him too. He's great when your there but to get anything changed after that is next to impossible. BTW Joe, he told me Hydra's are junk and are burning up pcms. He's not a big fan them.

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
I had my truck tuned by him too. He's great when your there but to get anything changed after that is next to impossible. BTW Joe, he told me Hydra's are junk and are burning up pcms. He's not a big fan them.
Maybe he just doesn't like you. I never have a problem getting in touch with him...:poke:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.