PMF S2 Single Traction Bar install and review

jcain

Reaction score
First with the install.

Truck is a 2012 F250 CCSB 4x4 with a 2.5" front lift and 1" taller rear block. I ordered the under-axle plate instead of swapping blocks and bolts.

IMAG0220.jpg

Lift the truck until the rear suspension is at full droop, and leave the wheels on and barely touching the ground. Take the nuts off the ubolts on 1 side of the truck. Take the factory plate off and replace with the new one and reinstall nuts. Now do the other side.

IMAG0221.jpg

Take the bars and temp install them at the axle (passenger side shock needs to be moved). Install the threaded knuckle at the front of the bar and thread it in at least 1.25". Now temp install the frame plate on the bar and figure out where on the frame you want the plate. Adjust bar length for obstacles and mark the holes. Buy some GOOD drill bits (I bought Hougens) and drill the holes in 3 steps, 1/4" pilot, 3/8" next, then 1/2" final.

IMAG0222.jpg

The passenger side is wide open for all of this, the driver's side was not, for me. I have a 50 gallon transfer flow replacement tank and it's damn tight up against the frame. You'll see in my picture that I had to support the tank, unbolt the straps and fuel neck and take a crowbar and gain separation to barely get your fingers up in there. I went "nuts out" on my bolts for ease of install. I also had to cut down the plate-to-bar bolt so it wouldn't hit my tank.

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

Now install the bars to the frame plate and TQ to spec. TQ to spec the rear bolts too. Add Synthetic water-proof grease and enjoy.

IMAG0228.jpg

Now for the Review.

I didn't think I had "much" axle wrap due to only raising the rear 1" but apparently I was wrong. The truck has no more clunking when shifting gears at low speed, or WOT. It literally just shifts and gets. It's very hard to explain how big of a difference these have made. Before, at WOT, the truck would seem like it was shifting lazy, but in fact, axle wrap was just absorbing and deflecting it. Now when it shifts, the truck doesn't "lay down" or seem "lazy", it shifts and tries to rip the tires off.

I'm very pleased and impressed with the PMF quality and customer service, again. I'm also very happy with the order in which Trevor has suggested the upgrades. Seems like front stabilizers are next, per PMF (Trevor).

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Awesome review.Yea I thought the same with the axle wrap,So I mounted my gopro up and went for a little drive and you can def see it.How much was everything shipped to you and how long did it take you to receive everything?Did you go with the stage 2 bars?
I've been contemplating which mounting kit to use and the under the blocks plate looks pretty good.Only bad thing is My Ubilts were long as crap so I cut them down short so more than likely I'd have to get new bolts :(

Charles

jcain

Reaction score
$700 shipped to my door. These are the stage 2 bars (S2). As long as you have 2 threads or so showing right now, you'll be OK on the ubolts. Mine were cut short too. Remember, this underaxle plate REPLACES the existing one, so it's almost the same thickness

jcain

Reaction score
Just unbolt it at the axle side so the rear plate bolt can sneak by. I just put a 12" crescent (the side with the hole in the handle) on the floor Jack and put the head of the shock on there, unbolt, drag the Jack out of the way with the shock head in it, do the work, then roll it back into place. The crescent wrench is so you can achieve the height without hitting the shock mount bracket first.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
$700 shipped to my door. These are the stage 2 bars (S2). As long as you have 2 threads or so showing right now, you'll be OK on the ubolts. Mine were cut short too. Remember, this underaxle plate REPLACES the existing one, so it's almost the same thickness
Duhh,
I completely forgot about that.I def need to invest in some.I just need to decide if I want to stay with the lift I currently have or if I want to upgrade.Id hate to invest in them then go bigger and have to get new bars!

Charles

peont

Reaction score
PMF products are strong made quality products worth every penny you pay for them and great customer service. I have the 7" alpha series lift on my truck with the single bar stage 3 traction bars/block setup with no gussets and these are my favor traction bars setup I have ever had on any of my lifted trucks. Captaincworley what size lift you have on your truck now? What size lift would you got to? The reason I am asking is the way my traction bars are setup on my truck now I can adjust the bars to make them longer to go up to a 10" with these bars. The 4 link that comes in the 7" alpha series lift from PMF can go up to a 10" lift the reason for me doing that.

Captaincworley

Reaction score
PMF products are strong made quality products worth every penny you pay for them and great customer service. I have the 7" alpha series lift on my truck with the single bar stage 3 traction bars/block setup with no gussets and these are my favor traction bars setup I have ever had on any of my lifted trucks. Captaincworley what size lift you have on your truck now? What size lift would you got to? The reason I am asking is the way my traction bars are setup on my truck now I can adjust the bars to make them longer to go up to a 10" with these bars. The 4 link that comes in the 7" alpha series lift from PMF can go up to a 10" lift the reason for me doing that.
Hey man,
I'm actually looking at the 4.5" or the 7" alpha kit honestly.Im not sure which I would rather but I'm looking at it as if I'm going to spend the money in the 1st place then I'd rather a bigger difference than just going to a 4.5".The thing now is just trying to talk the wife into letting me something else lol.
I think me ordering the deletes without permission kind of put me in the doghouse for a while lol!

Charles

peont

Reaction score
Now I am wishing I had made this kit a 10" lift cause for some reason I just want the lift taller now lol. When I talked to Trevor ordering the lift I decided on the 4link that comes in the 7" alpha series because it can go up a 10" lift, for the tractions bars to go up to a 10" I have no gussets on them so there is adjustable joints on both ends, and also made my brake lines where I could go to a 10" lift later. Now I am itching saving money thinking about making it a10" lift or dual fuelers with a turbo. My fiancé is asking me a lot lately to save my money for now cause we have a wedding to pay for and to wait till after the wedding to start spending money on my truck again but it is so hard to do lol.

Buck1

Reaction score
Play your cards right, spend enough money on the truck and the wedding thing might take care of itself. ☺

The Butcher

Reaction score
Any difference in ride quality with these bars installed? Not in terms of shifting, more just in general ride quality.

Latest posts

Members online