sundown audio

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Think I'm going to pick up an SA 10 for the new truck. From what I've read, they seem to be an audiophile's wet dream. anyone here have experience with them?

ghohouston

Reaction score
i always ran digital designs an dc sounds for subs, and had a sundown 3,000d for the sub amp. Top notch company, and priced well too.

Go for it!

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
the sa 10 is rated at 600w rms. thinking about pairing it with an MB Quartz Onyx 750.1 monoblock. That should be the ticket ya?

ghohouston

Reaction score
more like tickle it.

really though, sundown subs can easily handle double rms rated power, if the amp is properly set up (no bass boost), low pass filter, and subsonic set where they need to be.

If youre buying new, be sure to let the sub "break in" or you risk damage. Basically, dont blast on it for the first week or so, and sort of gradually increase the volume with each listening session.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
so...any other opinions? I started looking into SPL vs SQ. Currently trying to decide between the SA 10 or a Hertz ES 250 10". I know the Hertz is def considered an SQ sub and SA is known more for their power but do you think there would be a noticible difference between the two in regards to quality sound?

jdc753

Reaction score
I don't honestly know much about the SA or the Hertz, I do have Sundown amps and they are wonderful, been in the truck for years, put out rated power and have lots of tuning features for a good price. It is a small "local" american company you are supporting by buying Sundown, yes much of the stuff as 99% of car audio is manufactured in China, but Jacob fuller, the owner of sundown, is a pretty much average joe american.

SA subs are solid like all the gear they produce. Hertz gear is solid, another one to consider would be the JL W6, Stereo Integrity BM (SI is basically a sister company to Sundown that focuses more on SQ subs) Dynaudio Esotec, Morel Ultimo, also Illusion Audio.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
went to the shop this weekend to talk to them about options. they told me that when it comes to pure output, the SA would hit harder than the Hertz. Problem is the mounting depth. THe SA is 6" deep and wouldnt fit behind the seat. So that leaves me with having to have a center console box built. there is a chance the shop owner can get me a JL probox loaded with a W3 for the center console for not much more than the SA with custom box so I'm waiting to hear on that.

Last edited:

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I believe it's the sd line of subs that are shallow enough for behind seat mounting with pretty equivilant specs I've been doing a little research as my 02 cc needs some sounds

jdc753

Reaction score
went to the shop this weekend to talk to them about options. they told me that when it comes to pure output, the SA would hit harder than the Hertz. Problem is the mounting depth. THe SA is 6" deep and wouldnt fit behind the seat. So that leaves me with having to have a center console box built. there is a chance the shop owner can get me a JL probox loaded with a W3 for the center console for not much more than the SA with custom box so I'm waiting to hear on that.

For slim subs behind the back seat JL TW5 or SI BM IV are great choices...

Is that center console box for an 99-07 center console, or a setup for an 08-10 center console? My friend recently got a JL stealth box for an 08 center console and quite honestly I am not impressed at all. Part of it could have been the installation, and much might be the difference between a mass manufactured option and a custom fabbed option but I would take a custom built box any day over the JL 08 center console stealth box.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
its the 99-07 console. from the reviews I've read, people are happy with it. Which do you think would hit harder....the JL 10w3 in the sealed stealtbox pushed by an Alpine 500.1 or the Hertz ES 250 (750 watt) in a 1.3 cu. ft ported box pushed by the same amp?

Last edited:

jdc753

Reaction score
In the correct box ported will always have more output than sealed. Not exactly sure on the differences between the individual subs, but a W3 is sort of a middle ground sub. Sounds like you will win out either way you go then.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
got the system installed today. gotta say this JL stealthbox pounds pretty good with a decent amount of power to it. I'm happy with the outcome. Nice full, deep base. Not punchy. Gain is set at about 1 o'clock position and at +1 on the bass control (out of 10) and it is plenty. Very happy with it and love that it all looks completely factory.

Latest posts

Members online