weird find on injectors

corsoauto

Reaction score
So I Am New To The Board But Not New To The 7.3. I Have A 95 That Ive Been Totally Rebuilding. Swaped In A Low Mileage MotOr From A 96. Bith TrUcks Are Single Shot Models According To Idms. Swapped The Motor Cause Mine Leaked From Everywhere. Swapped A Few Of The Injectors As Well Since The 95 Had 350K On It And Had A Few That Were Weak.

The 96 Parts Truck Had AO Codes In It. Mine Had All AA Codes. Now From Everywhere I Have Researched AO Codes AreThe Same As AA Codes. Both Being A Single Shot Injector The AO Is Just A Superceeded Part Number.

Now Im Looking At Building Hybrid 250/100 Injectors. So I Tore Down A Spare AO Code. Afyer Measuring Intensifier Piston.......They Measue 29.6Mm...Wait A Minuet Single Shots Are Suppose To Have 32.2Mm Intensifiers...So I Double Check And Triple Check Measurements. 29.6Mm Everytime. Wtf......So I Start Looking At International Part Numbers....Turns Out The International Part Number Is For AB Code Injectors...Split Shots..Son Of A...NOw I Have Some Singleshots And Some Split Shots In The Truck?

No Biggie Going With Hybrids As The Truck Has Never Ran Really Smooth Like It Should. Knew I Needed New Injectors Anyway Because Some Are Still A Little Weak.

Anyone Seen Anything Like This? Part Numbers Not Matching Up? By The Way I Had Also Found One Of The AO Code Injectors To Be Junk. It Was Basically Xoming Apart And Could Be Twisted On The Upper Half About 1/4 " Back And Fourth. This Caused Major Oil Loss To InjectorS From Hpop And Would Not Even Let The Truck Start. Which I Believe Is The Reason The 96 Turned Into A Parts Truck In The Begining. They Thought Fuel Issue And Really Screwed It UpReplacing Fuel Lines And Snapped A Fitting Off On The Back Of The Head. Which They Then Broke A Tap Off Inside Rying To Get That Out.

corsoauto

Reaction score
That Was My Thought....But They Are AB Selenoids According To Interstate Part Number....But Code Wise....They Are AO.

corsoauto

Reaction score
It was my understanding that AO codes were all single shots. But apparently they arent.

corsoauto

Reaction score
it just really threw me off. I was always thinking that it just had weak injectors since it always ran a little rough at idle. Come to find out the AO codes that i thought were to be single shots....Are more than likely the cause since its a single shot idm.

I was going to sell the truck after I finished painting it. But now I am considering doing what I had always planned. I have most of the parts already but was real torn between building this, getting a crew cab 4x4 or a 2wd dually crew cab.

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
Yeah, IDM doesn't know it's a single shot or multi-shot injector in there. Injectors are fired by the PCM through the IDM, IDM just powers the coils.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
If the solenoids don't say AB on the top, they are probably all remans, hence the numbers dictate that they are AB.
ALL AO are Single Shots, CA model trucks in '96 and '97 had the AB's.
We see mixed sets all the time. people don't realize there are different injectors and just throw anything in there to get it running or to sell it.

In the end the older trucks can run Splits next to Singles and you'd never know. They flow differently on the bench but they typically run ok in the truck.

corsoauto

Reaction score
Usually there is a reman stamp on them though from what I have seen.

IDM is a single shot idm. If idm is not specific why is there a different idm between ca models and non ca models.....

I actually emaile you a couple weeks ago jim about a old diy injector kit of yours I had come across. I was wanting to know nozzle size. Was not inquiering for my injectors but actually a friends superduty.

Im still at a loss how selenoid has AO code but AB part number....ill post both numbers later.

LA_Stroker

Reaction score
The applied voltage was increased for the super duties but there is nothing stopping you from taking a SD IDM and putting it into a OBS or vise versa. Only the PCM is singe-shot or split-shot. The PCM fires the IDM. The IDM does not know it's firing singles or splits.

corsoauto

Reaction score
your right. Dunno what Im thinking. I was confusing pcm and IDM. Damn I need a vacation.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.