diesel smell inside cab- especially while idling

scotzilla

Reaction score
im getting a slight diesel smell inside my cab while its sits idling. All the door and window seals look great. I cant find any fuel leak in the engine compartment or under the cab anywhere. Has anyone run into this? Thought I would throw it out there before I invested a bunch of time into it.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
x2 on up pipes. Also check the v-band clamp is on right where the up pipes connect to the turbo.

birdmayon

Reaction score
diesel fuel smell or diesel exhaust smell? If exhaust, check the up pipe bellows for cracks like the other guys said. If fuel smell, check the cover on your fuel regulator (next to the fuel filter bowl), it is likely that the o ring is shot and has a minor leak. It may not even be enough to cause a drip, may just be slightly damp on the bottom, which is enough to stink up your whole truck at idle. Easy DIY fix.

Or, if you're like me and you've had a fuel line blow off while the truck is running, you've got residual fuel in all of the nooks and crannies and your truck will forever smell like raw fuel.

Wayne

Reaction score
Odds are it's coming in through the vents. Look for external soot stains coming out of joints in the up pipes. This is an especially prevalent problem on 7.3's, but 6.0's get bellows cracks. If it's a raw fuel smell, look for pooling in the valley, and wetness off the upper fuel filter housing. If there is, clean it off with brake clean, leg it thoroughly dry, then check the area key on, engine off. The pump will run continuously for 30 seconds without the engine rpm signal, so you may have to cycle IG a few times to see the moisture.

Enoch

Reaction score
When my fuel bowl drain valve o-rings went bad I had diesel smell in the cab.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Since he said about not being able to find a fuel leak in going to take a guess and say he's talking about a fuel smell.

It's the time of year when the fuel bowl drain o-rings are starting to get cold and shrink. Mine have done it once so far when we had a night below freezing. Depending on the slope you park on you won't see anything. If you park nose down on a hill you have the possibility of seeing the drips on the ground in front of the engine like I could. It could also being going into the valley of the engine as stated above.

PatMan

Reaction score
x3 on the up-pipes. Had the same thing happening.
Just replaced my very leaky uppies with some IH Bellowed ones.
no more exhaust fumes in the cab now!

PatMan

Reaction score
you don't happen to have the p/n for the IH ones, do you?

Not off hand - I picked them up from Riffraff though when he had them on sale.
And considering Black Friday's coming up soon - wouldn't be surprised to see them on sale again.

For what it's worth though - I've heard people starting to give some better reviews of the Dorman versions that they bought from Rockauto.
But I'd rather pay a little bit more for the known good stuff.

Latest posts

Members online