Gun Safe Idea

truckman1974

Reaction score
I saw this safe on sale online and I was wondering if it would fit in the small compartment under the cup holders on a 2012 F250? I'm deployed to West Africa right now, so can't measure it myself, but if one of you could go out and measure that space under the cup holders for me I would sure appreciate it.

The outside dimensions of the safe are 12.5" x 12.75" x 3.5". All I need to know is if a box that size would be able to fit in the area under there when you remove the cup holders. Also, once that box is installed, will I be able to reinstall the cupholders with no problems?

Thanks for the help guys!

This safe is only on sale till tomorrow, using the link below, (but if you like the idea you can find them online/ebay for about $80). I know this isn't a fail safe gun safe, but it's a place to stick your pistol if you're going into an establishment that does not permit the carry of concealed and you need to leave it locked in the vehicle.

http://sport.woot.com/offers/boyt-d...erm=0_c5ca76da11-140d8cd647-293009581#tracked

RedRice589

Reaction score
There isn't any extra room under the cupholders... Unless you make room.

And I can't measure my dik 4 times to make it fit....

PDT1081

Reaction score
What are these cupholders you all are talking about? I only have the 2 in the fold down arm rest of the center seat. There is a lockable space under the center seat though.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Hes talking about the space you see if you remove the entire black assembly.

Theres a "secret" compartment there

Yes, under the 4 cupholders in the picture there's a little black plastic piece that lifts out and reveals a "hidden/secret" compartment. I think it would be able to fit the safe's dimensions but I'm not sure. That's why I was hoping someone would have the same style center console and could measure it for me.

I went ahead and ordered the little safe....hopefully it will fit. Still hopefully someone will be able to check the measurement......it's be at least 8 months before I get to go home (and then that's only for a few weeks)...ugh! :bs:

Attachments

• $_579.jpg
    $_579.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 212

truckman1974

Reaction score

Yea, I have seen those. I was looking for an alternative option. Plus I know that my console always turns into a catchall and I will probably end up filling up the "Console Vault" with all the crap that usually migrates its way into my console. If I stuck with the little gun safe idea I know I would only use it for that. Plus it would just be something different (and I only paid $60 for it as opposed to the price of the other).

Thank you for the link though.

6.0L Stroker

Reaction score
No problem man. I agree about the console being a catch all as well. I think it is a neat idea but I have a lot of little stuff I wouldn't want under the locked door.

truckman1974

Reaction score
Yep. I am a Concealed Handgun License (CHL) Instructor, as well as a NRA Certified Pistol instructor, Range Safety Officer, and Personal Protection Inside the home instructor. I am big on gun safety and following the rules........being in the Army for nearly 20 years now probably has something to do with that too...... So, if I go into an establishment that doesn't permit concealed carry (I try to avoid those type of businesses at all cost.....why support them if they don't support me and the 2nd Amendment), such as a restaurant that fits the criteria, by Texas Law, of "If it makes more than 51% of its sales/profits from the sell of alcohol then you cannot carry in there", then I want to know that I am able to lock the pistol up in the truck. This little safe under those cup holders would be the perfect spot (I would have the safe itself bolted down to some anchor points within the center console).

Plus IF for any reason my vehicle was burglarized, and my pistol WAS stolen, at least I can show I took the extra step to secure the pistol and try to lock it into the vehicle in case of smash and grab.

truckman1974

Reaction score
IF I could just get someone to verify the measurements for me.... :)

This has become harder than I thought it would be. I figured someone would be happy to run out and check it....

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I would measure for you but I'm currently 2 states away from my truck for the next month. I've considered putting something down there too. Heck I didn't have know it was down there till I had the truck for 3 months haha. I knew you could take the cup holders out but I never knew there was a false floor that lifted out!

truckman1974

Reaction score
Yea, I appreciate it. I ordered the safe so hopefully it'll be good. Today's the last day for the sale price (like $25 off basically). I imagine it'll be fine. Even if I can't put the little "false floor" back in there but can still put the cupholders back in there over the top of the safe I'd be happy with that. But I'd really like to just be able to put it all back together so the safe is "hidden" under the false floor.....we'll see.

If anyone else is available to measure that spot I'd appreciate it. Thanks...

gfulton

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is what you want but under the cup holders is a cover, under it is a 9" long by 5" wide by 4" deep hidey hole. I don't think it would be big enough for a full size pistol though.....

Last edited:

truckman1974

Reaction score
Yea, that's probably what I'm talking about. If it's 9"x5"x4" then it won't work for the safe, but a pistol would probably lay in that size area. Just not what I was wanting to do. I want to have a way to securely lock the pistol in a little lock box that's secured to the truck. I may have to somehow modify something. Thanks...

Bartman

Reaction score
I'm not where I can measure but a G26 in a holster fits in the spot with the false floor in place.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Yea, that's probably what I'm talking about. If it's 9"x5"x4" then it won't work for the safe, but a pistol would probably lay in that size area. Just not what I was wanting to do. I want to have a way to securely lock the pistol in a little lock box that's secured to the truck. I may have to somehow modify something. Thanks...

Break out the Dremel and show us something!!!

truckman1974

Reaction score
Break out the Dremel and show us something!!!

Yea, it'll be a while before I get to go home, but I was looking online for this piece. I could have it shipped over here to me in West Africa and have something to mess with in idle time. I could have a little project to work on....maybe even order one of those safes and come up with something new for "us".....

Anyone want to grab this part for me from a junkyard, maybe 2 of them? Of course I will pay you for the part, shipping, and your trouble. I just don't want to pay the $379 for it, for something I'm going to tear up probably. I'm looking for $30 bucks!

Here's what I need...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FLO...:F-250+Super+Duty&hash=item35c2211c00&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• Center Console Piece.jpg
    Center Console Piece.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 126

Spatel23

Reaction score
If you cant figure out how to get a locking vault under there

have you thought about just locking the pistol thru the finger guard to an anchor under the cupholders ?

Most thieves arent going to look there or know to look there

truckman1974

Reaction score
If you cant figure out how to get a locking vault under there

have you thought about just locking the pistol thru the finger guard to an anchor under the cupholders ?

Most thieves arent going to look there or know to look there

Yes, I suppose I could do it that way too. I believe I can modify that part I mentioned above in such a way that it will have a factory look to it....well, I say I can.....but I would rather practice on a spare part/junk yard piece than my actual part that's in the truck.

Thanks for the idea...

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
The width of the space under the cup holders is dictated by the surrounding air ducts that come from under the dash and blow out the rear of the console. I almost cut into these once :badidea:and I am glad I didnt.

Latest posts

Members online