Going to try this out.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
You built a whole motor and as of now I am only doing the top end. As soon as I find a decent long block I will probably be in the same boat as you.

78f100

Reaction score
What housing you going with? Shane has had me thinking about this for a while also. Glad to see someone doing it. I may have to copy you soon.

White_monster

Reaction score
Paste yes. Torque the weak holes to 225ftlbs. Paste isn't going to hurt anything. Also make sure your torque wrench is calibrated correctly, they get knocked out easily.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Paste yes. Torque the weak holes to 225ftlbs. Paste isn't going to hurt anything. Also make sure your torque wrench is calibrated correctly, they get knocked out easily.

If any of the paste gets on the threads, won't that alter the lube properties of the lube and throw off the torque values needed? When I look at the fact that 2 different lubes from the same company altered the torque called for by 50 (which I assume provided the same clamping force), it seems to me that the properties of the lube can make big differences.

webb06

Reaction score
If any of the paste gets on the threads, won't that alter the lube properties of the lube and throw off the torque values needed? When I look at the fact that 2 different lubes from the same company altered the torque called for by 50 (which I assume provided the same clamping force), it seems to me that the properties of the lube can make big differences.

Paste goes on the threads in the block. Arp lube is used on the threads for the nut. Completely different ends

I second making for 100% sure your torque wrench is in check.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Paste goes on the threads in the block. Arp lube is used on the threads for the nut. Completely different ends

OK, I have never seen how they do the paste and thought there was a possibility it could contaminate. If there is not a risk, that explains why it would hurt.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I have never seen how they do the paste and thought there was a possibility it could contaminate. If there is not a risk, that explains why it would hurt.

yeah the stretch properties are where the nut torques. block is typically hand tight at the most.

speaking of broken blocks , haven't seen many lately. I know that NONE of the blocks with the h-13 studs have cracked since I've sold a set.

Jonnydime

Reaction score

My torque wrench was calibrated in July and hasn't been used since so it should be ok.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Not only calibrated but make sure it's big enough. When you get close to maxing it out the reading become less reliable. We bought a torque wrench specifically to do my truck, didn't wanna risk using a loaner.

Attachments

• 1395431609.jpg
    1395431609.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 185

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I didn't get to the studs yet but I did have three injector casualties. I had the injectors soaking in fuel when my four old son decided that I needed them and tried to bring the whole tub with the three injectors in it to me. Well he almost made it when he dropped it and all three connectors broke off and bent the pins pretty bad. I have to admit I was pretty steamed for awhile but I'm just gonna chalk this one up to shlt happens. One of the shops I deal with has some cores they are going to let me have and the Ford dealer will have the new ones on Tuesday. A buddy of mines wife works at the dealer so I'm going to get them at cost plus 10%.

V-Ref

Reaction score
I didn't get to the studs yet but I did have three injector casualties. I had the injectors soaking in fuel when my four old son decided that I needed them and tried to bring the whole tub with the three injectors in it to me. Well he almost made it when he dropped it and all three connectors broke off and bent the pins pretty bad. I have to admit I was pretty steamed for awhile but I'm just gonna chalk this one up to shlt happens. One of the shops I deal with has some cores they are going to let me have and the Ford dealer will have the new ones on Tuesday. A buddy of mines wife works at the dealer so I'm going to get them at cost plus 10%.
Sounds like a good honest helper! Give him the chance....and he'll make it right along the way!