cknox121's slow build

Cknox121

Reaction score
Update.... Cleaned all the rockers, bridges, rocker mounts, fuel rails, injector harness, hpfp, and injector hold downs with diesel fuel. Wire brushed the exhaust manifold to remove some rust so I can put some high temp paint on them. Pressure washed upper and lower valve covers, fan shroud, left and right battery box. Cleaned oil pedestal, turbo pedestal, starter and ac compressor with brake parts cleaner. Everything was super oily from leaky glow plug harnesses. Whipped frame, fuel lines etc down as well. Hope to stay half way clean while I reassemble the motor.

Also ordered the rest of my gaskets from sunrise. Got final price on some more parts which should be ordered by the end of the week, and I'm still up in the air about the body mounts.

Can wait to get the motor back, it should move along quite nicely then!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
Good stuff. Are you going to assemble the engine?

Machine shop is doing bottom end and installing the heads. I will be doing everything else.

How hard is it to get to the middle cab cage nuts? Back seat has to come out? Can't get my welder in good enough to get it from the bottom.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Body mounts ordered... I went with the regular poly ones.

Does anybody know if you have to save the metal parts on the OEM mounts to use with the new ones?

Cknox121

Reaction score
Thinking about throwing some 15% nozzles on while the injectors are getting flow tested... Thoughts? IIRC you can run a lower pulse width tune and they will do fine. I'm all for more low end power then top end.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thinking about throwing some 15% nozzles on while the injectors are getting flow tested... Thoughts? IIRC you can run a lower pulse width tune and they will do fine. I'm all for more low end power then top end.

Definitely do the nozzles!!!!

B585Ford

Reaction score
You maintain rail pressure with the lower pulse width tune?

Yeah, I need to get with GH to so that I can get the most of out it. My 2.3 PW tune only maintains 21500 but 1.9 PW maintains full RP. I don't have any of his tunes in between those PW. I am thinking about a 2.1 PW would be the max that I could maintain.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Body mount bushings are in.
dd64918d0db2076db007100b07413342.jpg

Cknox121

Reaction score
I guess you have to reuse the metal pieces from the original insulators?

That's correct. Separating the metal pieces is pretty simple. I use a mixture of ATF and rubbing alcohol and poured down around the sleeve. Let it soak about 20 minutes and hit them with a hammer. Popped right out.

webb06

Reaction score
That's correct. Separating the metal pieces is pretty simple. I use a mixture of ATF and rubbing alcohol and poured down around the sleeve. Let it soak about 20 minutes and hit them with a hammer. Popped right out.

Ya I've replaced quite a few with oem. I was just curious since I didn't see any metal in the picture

Cknox121

Reaction score
a2c7df01a4ea50b895aea03ec0bd603d.jpg

Okay so I did a little recon on the body mounts. Factory mounts, the tops are 2 and 1/8" thick. Day stars are a like 1 and1/2" thick. Do the factory ones compress that much?

Latest posts

Members online