Project "Wifey's Truck", Help me fill in the blanks.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Alright guys, to give you a little background, the truck is a Job 1, 2008 F-250Black, Lariat, Crew Cab/Short Bed. The truck has a little over 200,000 miles on it. We bought it knowing we were going to have to put a little money in it to make it a nice daily driver. After doing brakes all the way around, DPF delete, and H&S Mini Maxx with Gearhead Tunes, the truck is ready for a little bit more... This is where the fun begins.

As of right now we are planning on a complete engine build, and at least an Elite Stage two Transmission. Below is a list of the parts that we have so far, looking for insight/opinions on whether we're on the right track, and if there is anything we should add or change to the build. I want a really nice, fun truck that my wife can drive, and we can have fun with on the weekends. Not looking for 1000HP, and reliability needs to be THE key factor here. This is my wife's truck and she will kill me if its broken all the time. There is certainly a place for high performance in this build, I'm going a little overboard in some areas, just to make sure nothing happens while she's behind the wheel. Let me know what you guys think.

So far we have...

A Brand New Ford Engine Block, The block is getting partially filled and then honed. The block is being fitted with Coated Maxxforce Pistons (courtesy of Chad Flynn), R&R Rods (courtesy of RCD), Coated Clevite Cam, Main, and Rod Bearings, an RCD or Elite cam (not sure what direction to go yet, don't want to do any flycutting), New Lifters, Smith Brothers Pushrods, an ATI Damper, Billet Flexplate (another thing I'm unsure of where to source), and either a stock oil pan or one from RCD.

2 Brand New Cylinder Heads, Heads are getting hardened valve seats and RCD Valve springs, was thinking about porting, but not sure its worth it, seeing as I'm not really looking for 1000 HP or spending $10k on turbos.

RCD Ported intake

6.0 Exhaust manifolds with NEW SS Elite up-pipes

Mishimoto Intercooler/Radiator/Boots/Clamps/Hoses/Piping

For fuel, we're going to be using our own low pressure system that consists of a 5/8" pickup tube, an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, and a pre/post pump filter setup. At the top of the engine will be Elite's stage 1 fuel system upgrade. We are installing a new HPFP in the stock location and will be reverse rotating the original pump for a dual fueler setup. We also have a set of 30% over stock nozzles that I'm planning on installing on a set of cores with 93,000 miles on them, and having them flow tested.

As far as the dual fueler setup, I'm kinda hung up on what to do there, I have almost talked myself into building it myself. We do a lot of our own custom fab work as it is, and I don't see why we couldn't do it. I'm at a loss because A) We're an Elite dealer, B)I like where the Diesel Dr. kit mounts better (makes it a lot easier to service an Alternator if needed), and C)Not that any of the kits are unreasonably priced, but I think I can do it myself and save some coin. Maybe do it a little different and start offering our own kits. I wasn't going to do them at all, but I don't want to be stuck running stock nozzles with all these other goodies... I'm just not sure what to do honestly. Thoughts?

Turbos are another thing on the unsure list. We have a set of Elite 72/59 Tow Power+ turbos sitting on the shelf, but I'm leaning towards buying a 76 to put in front of the 59. Does anyone have much experience with this combo besides Wayne(I've talked to him at length about this)? Anyone else done it yet with the new High power Jr? It sounds good in my head, but again I need to make sure that we are doing this correctly the first time. Too much time and money at stake to make a mistake... If I need to keep it simple and stay with the 72/59 that's what we'll do. How much power can we make on a 72/59 with dual fuelers and 30% nozzles? Anyone know?

Transmission is either going to be an Elite Stage two or three. I have an Elite stage 2 and RCD Converter sitting on the shelf, waiting to be installed. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a stage 3 if needed though. Talking with Tadd he said that most guys running Gearhead tunes are good with a stage 2, but up to what power level? Are my goals out of the realm of a stage 2? We're not beating the piss out of this thing, a few drag races here and there and mostly driving around. To be perfectly honest, the truck will probably never come off the stock setting unless I'm driving. She's happy with the truck the way it is now...

To round out the build, We are using OUO adaptable length traction bars on the rear axle and an OUO 3 link on the front axle.

What am I missing here? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery would be highly appreciated. (The real goal here is to make Robbie as jealous as possible, so he spends more money, cause he don't want to get beat by a girl... LOL) J/K Robbie

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright guys, to give you a little background, the truck is a Job 1, 2008 F-250Black, Lariat, Crew Cab/Short Bed. The truck has a little over 200,000 miles on it. We bought it knowing we were going to have to put a little money in it to make it a nice daily driver. After doing brakes all the way around, DPF delete, and H&S Mini Maxx with Gearhead Tunes, the truck is ready for a little bit more... This is where the fun begins.

As of right now we are planning on a complete engine build, and at least an Elite Stage two Transmission. Below is a list of the parts that we have so far, looking for insight/opinions on whether we're on the right track, and if there is anything we should add or change to the build. I want a really nice, fun truck that my wife can drive, and we can have fun with on the weekends. Not looking for 1000HP, and reliability needs to be THE key factor here. This is my wife's truck and she will kill me if its broken all the time. There is certainly a place for high performance in this build, I'm going a little overboard in some areas, just to make sure nothing happens while she's behind the wheel. Let me know what you guys think.

So far we have...

A Brand New Ford Engine Block, The block is getting partially filled and then honed. The block is being fitted with Coated Maxxforce Pistons (courtesy of Chad Flynn), R&R Rods (courtesy of RCD), Coated Clevite Cam, Main, and Rod Bearings, an RCD or Elite cam (not sure what direction to go yet, don't want to do any flycutting), New Lifters, Smith Brothers Pushrods, an ATI Damper, Billet Flexplate (another thing I'm unsure of where to source), and either a stock oil pan or one from RCD.

2 Brand New Cylinder Heads, Heads are getting hardened valve seats and RCD Valve springs, was thinking about porting, but not sure its worth it, seeing as I'm not really looking for 1000 HP or spending $10k on turbos.

RCD Ported intake

6.0 Exhaust manifolds with NEW SS Elite up-pipes

Mishimoto Intercooler/Radiator/Boots/Clamps/Hoses/Piping

For fuel, we're going to be using our own low pressure system that consists of a 5/8" pickup tube, an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, and a pre/post pump filter setup. At the top of the engine will be Elite's stage 1 fuel system upgrade. We are installing a new HPFP in the stock location and will be reverse rotating the original pump for a dual fueler setup. We also have a set of 30% over stock nozzles that I'm planning on installing on a set of cores with 93,000 miles on them, and having them flow tested.

As far as the dual fueler setup, I'm kinda hung up on what to do there, I have almost talked myself into building it myself. We do a lot of our own custom fab work as it is, and I don't see why we couldn't do it. I'm at a loss because A) We're an Elite dealer, B)I like where the Diesel Dr. kit mounts better (makes it a lot easier to service an Alternator if needed), and C)Not that any of the kits are unreasonably priced, but I think I can do it myself and save some coin. Maybe do it a little different and start offering our own kits. I wasn't going to do them at all, but I don't want to be stuck running stock nozzles with all these other goodies... I'm just not sure what to do honestly. Thoughts?

Turbos are another thing on the unsure list. We have a set of Elite 72/59 Tow Power+ turbos sitting on the shelf, but I'm leaning towards buying a 76 to put in front of the 59. Does anyone have much experience with this combo besides Wayne(I've talked to him at length about this)? Anyone else done it yet with the new High power Jr? It sounds good in my head, but again I need to make sure that we are doing this correctly the first time. Too much time and money at stake to make a mistake... If I need to keep it simple and stay with the 72/59 that's what we'll do. How much power can we make on a 72/59 with dual fuelers and 30% nozzles? Anyone know?

Transmission is either going to be an Elite Stage two or three. I have an Elite stage 2 and RCD Converter sitting on the shelf, waiting to be installed. I wouldn't be opposed to going to a stage 3 if needed though. Talking with Tadd he said that most guys running Gearhead tunes are good with a stage 2, but up to what power level? Are my goals out of the realm of a stage 2? We're not beating the piss out of this thing, a few drag races here and there and mostly driving around. To be perfectly honest, the truck will probably never come off the stock setting unless I'm driving. She's happy with the truck the way it is now...

To round out the build, We are using OUO adaptable length traction bars on the rear axle and an OUO 3 link on the front axle.

What am I missing here? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery would be highly appreciated. (The real goal here is to make Robbie as jealous as possible, so he spends more money, cause he don't want to get beat by a girl... LOL) J/K Robbie

Thanks guys!

ouch.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score

Just noticed this. Real cute. Lmao!!

On a side note real men run stock fuel FTW!!

Last edited:

Diesel23

Reaction score
wife will be very happy , but end result you will be even happier lol !! this will be a very nice truck ,
How far off 75 are you guys located (the shop) ? I went to pick my daughter up from my dads place in beavercreek and saw bremen exit and if i wasnt running such a tight schedule was looking to come check it out ,next time

webb06

Reaction score
Plan on waiting AWHILE for all those elite parts. Just saying. Before you go more fuel I would go bigger turbos honestly.

The new ford block will need to be surfaced. I've had to surface both of mine.

Get the rotating assembly balanced too while you're at it.

You can get a billet flex plate from suncoast. That's where I got mine

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Plan on waiting AWHILE for all those elite parts. Just saying. Before you go more fuel I would go bigger turbos honestly.

The new ford block will need to be surfaced. I've had to surface both of mine.

Get the rotating assembly balanced too while you're at it.

You can get a billet flex plate from suncoast. That's where I got mine

FWIW, I have most of the Elite parts on the shelf, so no waiting for this guy. I will get the block surfaced when its in the fixture getting honed. And I am planning on balancing, just forgot to mention it. . Thanks for all the input!

webb06

Reaction score
FWIW, I have most of the Elite parts on the shelf, so no waiting for this guy. I will get the block surfaced when its in the fixture getting honed. And I am planning on balancing, just forgot to mention it. . Thanks for all the input!

Lucky lucky you!!!

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I would skip the 72/59 and do either the tow power X's or the high powers. But thats just my opinion. The only reason why is because you have the duel fuelers so fuel wont be a problem. And a very solid build by the way! I'm definately jealous! Lucky wife you have.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Things I would not worry about doing: Ported heads, billet flexplate, billet rods, filling the block, ATI dampener.

Things I would change off personal preference, rcd cam and rcd intake manifold

As far as turbos go, JD has a 76mm atmo on his truck. if you can get one from Tadd, thats where you should look. 76/59 setup would handle a good 60hp or 85hp nozzle no problem. I think a 30% might be a bit much.

You definitely are going to want a full billet trans for piece of mind. A stage 3 would probably suite your needs perfectly.

Throwing a 200k mile stock pump out front in a dual fueler setup is risky, imo. If it goes, it takes everything with it. That many miles, i'd core it out.

Things I would add: No limit catalog. Elite CCV kit. Wastegate kit. Elite Zmax manifold. Elite stage 1.5 cam and of course my coolant filter kit to keep your new oil cooler nice and clean :)

Mrs. Bailor would probably love you if you spent some money in cosmetic upgrades as well

Good luck buddy!

Last edited:

kdogg85

Reaction score
I vote 364 fmw over a 480 with 110's. Dont think your wife won't love the attention. Mine does, especially the 1 finger salutes when she whips someone at a light.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Things I would not worry about doing: Ported heads, billet flexplate, billet rods, filling the block, ATI dampener.

Things I would change off personal preference, rcd cam and rcd intake manifold

As far as turbos go, JD has a 76mm atmo on his truck. if you can get one from Tadd, thats where you should look. 76/59 setup would handle a good 60hp or 85hp nozzle no problem. I think a 30% might be a bit much.

You definitely are going to want a full billet trans for piece of mind. A stage 3 would probably suite your needs perfectly.

Throwing a 200k mile stock pump out front in a dual fueler setup is risky, imo. If it goes, it takes everything with it. That many miles, i'd core it out.

Things I would add: No limit catalog. Elite CCV kit. Wastegate kit. Elite Zmax manifold. Elite stage 1.5 cam and of course my coolant filter kit to keep your new oil cooler nice and clean :)

Mrs. Bailor would probably love you if you spent some money in cosmetic upgrades as well

Good luck buddy!

Thanks for all the advise Steve!

Ported heads are out.

Billet Rods are already here, I know people claim you don't need them, but I'm only doing this once. I never want to worry about them again.

The partial fill on the block was an idea that I'm fond of because of all the people talking about cracked blocks. If its not going to effect cooling, I see no reason not to. We do it all the time on 7.3 blocks and it works great. If it can keep me from putting coolant in the oil, I'm having a hard time seeing the down side.

The billet flex plate and ATI damper is in the works, because I can order the damper without a weight, and zero balance the flywheel. That way we can internally balance the rotating assembly. Something else we learned while building 7.3's that make no powah. Lol

I have the RCD intake here, we've used several of them and been very pleased. I'm sure I could get one from Tadd, but what gain is there? I thought they were all just punching out the walls from where the bolts go through? Is there more detail I need on this?

I will more than likely do the Elite 1X cam and valvetrain. My pistons are not flycut and they're already coated. Not really excited about messing them up.

I was under the impression that the 30% nozzles were the same as 85hp. Is this not accurate?

If I can get a 76 from Tadd, I'll just sell the 72. No biggie. That's what I really want to do, just need to see how soon he can get me one.

Forgot to mention, I have the Elite CCV+ sitting here as well. Already ahead of you there. If you want to shoot me a coolant filter kit, I'm sure I can find a home for it. No Limit is getting some love in this build also.

As far as dual fuelers go, I took your advise and ordered another reman pump. Really thinking about using Morgan's (sledpuller) kit now after seeing how nice it looks. Waiting on a reply from him to see price and availability.

I really need RMartin97 to buy this stage two transmission for his truck (hint, hint), then I'll probably be ordering the stage 3.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Keep it coming!

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I heard there was an Elite stage 3 tranny and converter on its way to your shop already? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise Steve!

Ported heads are out.

Billet Rods are already here, I know people claim you don't need them, but I'm only doing this once. I never want to worry about them again.

The partial fill on the block was an idea that I'm fond of because of all the people talking about cracked blocks. If its not going to effect cooling, I see no reason not to. We do it all the time on 7.3 blocks and it works great. If it can keep me from putting coolant in the oil, I'm having a hard time seeing the down side.

The billet flex plate and ATI damper is in the works, because I can order the damper without a weight, and zero balance the flywheel. That way we can internally balance the rotating assembly. Something else we learned while building 7.3's that make no powah. Lol

I have the RCD intake here, we've used several of them and been very pleased. I'm sure I could get one from Tadd, but what gain is there? I thought they were all just punching out the walls from where the bolts go through? Is there more detail I need on this?

I will more than likely do the Elite 1X cam and valvetrain. My pistons are not flycut and they're already coated. Not really excited about messing them up.

I was under the impression that the 30% nozzles were the same as 85hp. Is this not accurate?

If I can get a 76 from Tadd, I'll just sell the 72. No biggie. That's what I really want to do, just need to see how soon he can get me one.

Forgot to mention, I have the Elite CCV+ sitting here as well. Already ahead of you there. If you want to shoot me a coolant filter kit, I'm sure I can find a home for it. No Limit is getting some love in this build also.

As far as dual fuelers go, I took your advise and ordered another reman pump. Really thinking about using Morgan's (sledpuller) kit now after seeing how nice it looks. Waiting on a reply from him to see price and availability.

I really need RMartin97 to buy this stage two transmission for his truck (hint, hint), then I'll probably be ordering the stage 3.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Keep it coming!

The elite manifold is much different than the RCD.

Latest posts

Members online