Used head studs

Twinboys

Reaction score
Any scientific reasoning out there as to why or why not install used ARP head studs?

Does anyone know if they will permanently stretch before they snap?

Mdub707

Reaction score
You can measure the length and check it against spec to see if they've been permanently deformed or not. Pretty sure I was told they've re-used the standard ARP's in king kong like 8 times or something.

Scientific reason... yeah, if they're permanently deformed, they're weaker, ie, someone cranked on them beyond spec and yielded the material.

Twinboys

Reaction score
That is exactly the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure if they would snap before yielding, making checking them unnecessary. I don't know what spec is, but I should be able to check them all for variance.

Reaction score
You need a bolt stretch gauge.
You need to torque it to check stretch.
Checking stretch is only accurate if you checked each one new for baseline of that particular bolt/stud.

lenzhotrod

Reaction score
I would be surprised if ARP says 3 times only! During racing there where many times we pulled heads off more than 3 times!

Mdub707

Reaction score
You need a bolt stretch gauge.
You need to torque it to check stretch.
Checking stretch is only accurate if you checked each one new for baseline of that particular bolt/stud.

How accurate is that method with torque scatter?

At work here we hydraulically stretch studs, which is a much more accurate method. Wish there was an easy way to do it on these really small studs, everything we work with is in the 3"+ area in OD.

Twinboys

Reaction score
If a stud has been permanently stretched, but hasn't yet necked, wouldn't it actually be harder to stretch further than an un-stretched one because of work hardening? And yes, I know it will be more brittle.

Latest posts

Members online