Wax on, Wax off

Platinumtuxedo

Reaction score
I have had the truck for about six months now and I am thinking that I should probably put a coat of wax on it. It gets to live outside, so it's in the sun and weather. Anyone have a preferred wax to use on these?

Drumnatural

Reaction score
Look into putting an acrylic sealant on first. After that a few coats of wax. The sealant protects the paint better and lasts much longer then waxing alone.

Reaction score
Been using a stuff called ibiz on our show vehicles for years. My dad's car is a 66 Ford Fairlane 500 is painted with black lacquer. And the ibiz is the best we have found on black and other dark colors.

CurtisF

Reaction score
I've been a big fan of Adam's Polishes for a long time now.

But I went several years without taking care of the paint on the old truck, and it really took its toll. I won't be making the same mistake with the new truck. It's going to get a good coat of wax every so often, and other TLC to keep it looking new for as long as possible.

Platinumtuxedo

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input guys. I need to do the seats as well so thank you for the thread CBF. Was going to get started this weekend but just found out that I gotta get some hernias repaired on Monday. So it will be a few weeks till I am twisting around

Jomax

Reaction score
Meguires ultimate wax actually works really. Good. Lasted 6 months in the heat we have in AZ.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Platinumtuxedo

Reaction score
Do ya'll buff it off with towels or do you use a power buffer to take it off? I have tried both ways and I cannot decide which one works the best. I have used Meguires in the past and have had good luck with it Jomax. Was just wondering if there was something better or there. Also wanted to make sure I didn't use something that will mess up the paint due to the large amount of flake in the tuxedo black.

Jomax

Reaction score
Do ya'll buff it off with towels or do you use a power buffer to take it off? I have tried both ways and I cannot decide which one works the best. I have used Meguires in the past and have had good luck with it Jomax. Was just wondering if there was something better or there. Also wanted to make sure I didn't use something that will mess up the paint due to the large amount of flake in the tuxedo black.

I use a microfiber towel for removal, wax will never even touch the flake being you have clearcoat. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Jomax

Reaction score
Anyone ever try ***kan wax? 2 buddy's swear buy it

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

There are a couple company's selling the same thing. They sit at gas stations trying to sell the crap. I hate that stuff.

05f250harley

Reaction score
I've been using chemical guys products. I used the Petes 53 paste wax about 3 months ago. It was pretty good. I also just used there instawax the other day and was supposed at how well it worked. I'm gonna try the killer wax next time I wax it. The pic is the day after i waxed it for rudys with the instawax. uploadfromtaptalk1430141589111.jpg

Bigwill0815

Reaction score
I 2nd killerwaxx... I've been using poorboys for years and just got some.... Black trucks never came out so good! I would recommend a paint sealant to. Did my truck before winter and it still beads after a northeast winter.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I agree with log, Chemical Guys do make great stuff. But I prefer Collinite 845 for wax due to how long it seems to last

This is the real deal right here. Collinite 845. Cannot beat it.

It's not formulated for super easy use and elbow grease is required to apply a real coat of wax.

The market is FULL of lazy people wax products. Anything that's easy is not worth putting on your rig. And wax should never be left to dry. Otherwise your wiping off dried wax. It should be rubbed in and wiped just at the onset of hazing. Timing is important. That's why they recommend you don't work more than a 2x2 foot area at a time.

Collinite wax is premium in the boating industry. I use it on my Sea Ray.

And for what it's worth I use my boat wax (Collinite fleet wax 885)on my truck. Don't fall for the infomercial gimmick waxes.

As far as application of wax as I have seen asked.

Your going to net the absolute best results by wiping down with a microfiber towel. A buffer will remove wax. Looks and feels good afterwards but you have literally removed much of the product off the clear coat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online