High egts feels like drag

scparrish

Reaction score
That I can't be certain, but I would like to believe holder's diesel would have contacted me if there was an issue when rebuilding the injectors.

I had the injectors gone through, because like you I really thought that was the issue.

Derkperk

Reaction score
I'm really thinking hard about this intercooler idea. Damaged pipe, cracked boot, cracked end, oil logged???

sent using tapatalk because my iPone died

scparrish

Reaction score
I pressurized the system to 50 psi no leaks. I keep throwing money at it with ideas because I have no evidence besides heat. Intercooler is next on the list though.

scparrish

Reaction score
Throwing an intercooler at it to see if that will fix the issue. Hopefully I can get this installed next weekend.

scparrish

Reaction score
The problem still persists. The egts don't climb as quickly and cool off more quickly. Cruising at 1100 degrees at 70. I am at a loss.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Ok, I know you said there was no brake drag, but I had a similiar issue. Stock injector, S2 turbo on my ECLB 4x4 w/ 3.73's and 35's. I would all of a sudden look down and be cruising at 60mph around 1000*. Truck felt heavy, like it was towing a 10k trailer. I came home and grabbed my laser temp sensor. 3 rotors within 30* of each other, 1 200* higher. Pulled, replaced with OEM rotor, new pads and flushed all the fluid. Problem solved. I couldn't tell anything was dragging in the brakes while on jacks in the driveway, but the temperature sensor didn't lie.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I will take another look at everything. I will pull everything apart and see.

Try a non contact thermometer. That'll eliminate the possibility of it being a dragging caliper.

Sent while driving, drinking coffee and threatening to kill people in traffic.

scparrish

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this with a resolution.

My ac compressor/clutch assembly was causing the drag. The ac finally quit working a couple weeks ago, I am surprised it didn't fail along time ago. This just shows you can never rule anything out.

scparrish

Reaction score
I really was I was getting pretty close to giving up. This is the only time I would be happy that the ac failed.

jngreen

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this with a resolution.

My ac compressor/clutch assembly was causing the drag. The ac finally quit working a couple weeks ago, I am surprised it didn't fail along time ago. This just shows you can never rule anything out.

Holy crap, I'm glad you found it. You worked to find that for a long time.

scparrish

Reaction score
I was wrong. After noticing an initial improvement and has been minimal at best. I have been slow to update over here.

Since the ac compressor died I have replaced the ficm again, bpd 6 phase this go around, power steering pump, and now pulling the t4 setup off and going back to vgt. I also dropped the pan on the trans and changed the fluid and filter, nothing out of the ordinary to report. I swapped in a 2014 rear end with what I thought were 4.30s and an e locker, turns out they are 4.10 gears. Also 2014 doesn't use a tone ring to monitor speed, so another fail. So little to no improvement.

Also tried TSD tunes just to see if that made a difference over GH tunes. It did not.

Shoot away. Now I just hope whatever is the issue just s#!@s the bed so I can move on.

08Monster

Reaction score
I'm having issues similar. I'm going to check some of these things. Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BS Hauler

Reaction score
Have you checked fuel pressure. I wonder if you are having fuel starvation issues. Will the truck lengthen the PW with low fuel pressure to the point of causing high EGT's trying to maintain rpm's

Last edited:

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
when you did your EGR ******, did you pull the intake manifold out and clean it? maybe its full of junk.

my truck 205/100s and a 369sxe at 70mph + cruises at around 800* also on a 32"

scparrish

Reaction score
egr ****** was done nearly a decade ago, but I have replaced the intake manifold since. fuel pressure is at 60 psi at all times.

I tried the without a belt thing and got to the end of my driveway and changed my mind. There are too many people around my area to try, but I had attempted. The truck did feel a little lighter without the belt but I didn't get to do much testing to confirm that.

Since it feels better when put in neutral it has to be transmission, engine, or engine accesories. Is there really anything else to consider?

I was starting to second guess the transmission but there is nothing that seems actually wrong with it. The temps look good, I changed the fluid 6 months or so ago and the fluid looked new, and shifts through all gears like it should.

As far as belt driven items, I have replaced the following over the last year to 6 months:
AC compressor
alternater
power steering pump
tensioner
idler

On the motor the compression looks good, I do puke some coolant around a half gallon a month, startups and idle are nice and smooth regardless of temps. FICM voltage holds steady at all times, hpo pressure holds well at all times. Is there anything mechanically that I could be over looking or that is underlying and my tests so far haven't shown?

I really am getting to the point of detailing her up and sending her down the road. I need a truck I can use as a truck now.

The only odd thing I am finding now is that after cruising around for 30 to 40 minutes the trans cooler is ambient temp.

Latest posts