Just bought my loaded 6.4L - 600rwhp

getstuk

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my new loaded Superduty!!! Currently am waiting delivery of my 2010 Ford F250 Lariat with sunroof, nav, etc. It is white exterior with black interior. It belonged to a man in Katy, TX. It appears completely stock, no fifth wheel hitch, paid an ASE certified inspector to look it over and said it was in great shape. I have been into modding trucks for a while, my last truck was somewhat youtube-famous if that's a phrase I can use and I hope I can deliver some videos for enjoyment this go-around too.

I have big plans for this truck. I have been shopping for about 9 months+ now as you see from my threads but I couldn't find one with low enough miles, I ended up getting frustrated and took this one with 66k miles :(

Here is my dilemma, I need to tune and delete this truck for an offroad event coming up Oct 17th. When I was doing my research it was possible to get to 580rwhp+ with just an intake, delete and a Spartan 350 tune or H&S hot tune (proof). But now I see Gearhead tunes are a popular one. I'm simply looking to make the most power right now, this truck is a toy at the moment (I've saved for about 5 years for a new truck after regrettably selling this one). Can someone fill me in on what the consensus is for programmers right now? I respect the knowledge here at powerstrokearmy over the other boards so I think I'll be a regular here. I was a big contributor on F150online.com known as "Josiah" if you were around those parts a few years back.

Sorry for the novel, here are the pics for what most of you care about:

001_0001.jpg

017_0017.jpg

024_0024.jpg

Here is my old truck, it's not much by today's standards but this was when lifting trucks was not quite as popular, but I did some really custom mods to it:
frankraines038.jpg

image 2
image 3
image 4

Last edited:

taterthedog

Reaction score
I was a big contributor on F150online.com known as "Josiah" if you were around those parts

I remember you. Welcome. You'll find the answers you are looking for here. I was never "tune only" so I can't really comment on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Sweet looking truck man! Welcome to PSA!

Gearhead is definitely the way to go for tunes. You can put their tunes on either a SCT or a H&S. The SCT will be the cheaper and easier to get option but I have a H&S xrt pro for tuning and Edge CTS for monitoring and I love my setup. My track times put me at 581hp with the Gearhead tunes.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I find there dyno numbers bs. Track times out my truck around 500-520 at the track before I did some engine work and I dynoed my truck when I first tuned it and it dynoed at 530. Since I studded and out a cam in it and been running Gearhead tunes track times out me around 540-550 with 35x13.5r18 tires, and they are heavy

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
welcome, and great find on that truck..

as far as tuning....when I had my 6.4 I ran just a tuner, delete, and intake (never even completed the full egr delete, just unplugged the valve. didn't have the truck long enough to do more to it) but the H&s 300 tune the truck dynode 560rwhp, and I was running consistant 13.2's with it, however there was some defueling going on with the minimax so it definitely has more in it. that is with just the base tuning h&s offered..

if you looking for something just quick, cant go wrong with the H&s....also look into erics tunes at innovative as well.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
I find there dyno numbers bs. Track times out my truck around 500-520 at the track before I did some engine work and I dynoed my truck when I first tuned it and it dynoed at 530. Since I studded and out a cam in it and been running Gearhead tunes track times out me around 540-550 with 35x13.5r18 tires, and they are heavy

your saying on a race tune and doing a cam your making 550......I would be beyond irritated.

For something quick out of the box im still a Spartan believer. I would buy one new since it seemed before it was a waiting game and jumping through hoops to get one relicensed.

Every "custom" tune will drive differently. I have had some I really like. And others I have parked the truck until I got new tunes because they were that bad. But each tuner will usually work with you to get where you want to be drivability wise.

colecoop56

Reaction score
I definitely remember you from the f150 forums back when I had mine. After you delete and tune your new truck you will forget all about your old one. Trust me.

sootie

Reaction score
SCT race tuners have space for custom tunes on them so you can run gearhead tunes. they also can be had used for almost half the price of H&S.

canned tunes dont hold a candle to custom tunes.

getstuk

Reaction score
I remember you. Welcome. You'll find the answers you are looking for here. I was never "tune only" so I can't really comment on that.

Hi there tater!

What are your plans for this one? Beat the hell out of the last one from what I remember.

This made me laugh, it will have a similar life to the last truck so you can expect videos of the same kind of crap. Maybe a little less trails because of the weight of these things, will have to see.

For something quick out of the box im still a Spartan believer. I would buy one new since it seemed before it was a waiting game and jumping through hoops to get one relicensed.

Every "custom" tune will drive differently. I have had some I really like. And others I have parked the truck until I got new tunes because they were that bad. But each tuner will usually work with you to get where you want to be drivability wise.

Glad to hear Spartan get some attention here because they've aroused my curiosity, they've put down impressive numbers, as have H&S. I've read the Spartan 350 is far stronger on the lower end than the 310 tune, and is a stock tranny destroyer. I don't want to blow my transmission but I want the option to :lol: Wonder how H&S compares, anybody? Again, my priority is power/numbers at this time. Driveability is not a big concern, it's a toy for now but could turn into a DD if I hate driving my prius after this. **** did I say prius, I meant stang!

:pointlaugh:

welcome, and great find on that truck..

as far as tuning....when I had my 6.4 I ran just a tuner, delete, and intake (never even completed the full egr delete, just unplugged the valve. didn't have the truck long enough to do more to it) but the H&s 300 tune the truck dynode 560rwhp, and I was running consistant 13.2's with it, however there was some defueling going on with the minimax so it definitely has more in it. that is with just the base tuning h&s offered..

if you looking for something just quick, cant go wrong with the H&s....also look into erics tunes at innovative as well.

Wow, 560rwhp on the base tune? Anyone have experience with the H&S blackmaxx + HOT tune? Their dyno graph shows 580rwhp with deletes as I linked you before to. Very impressive! No other diesel on the market can get to almost 600rwhp without fuel, tranny or air mods. One of the reasons I went with the 6.4L :)

I definitely remember you from the f150 forums back when I had mine. After you delete and tune your new truck you will forget all about your old one. Trust me.

Hey cole, I am so glad to hear you say this. I miss being a part of f150online and hope I can find the same experience here! You all seem like a good bunch, and knowledgeable to boot. That being said, I am even more excited than I was before, I've been waiting for this day for the past 5 years, it was a difficult wait trying to save. Sounds really dumb but not owning a truck felt like something big was missing and I am grateful to be in a position to own again.

getstuk

Reaction score
Also, are any of these tunes "on the fly" or is there a pull over and tune process. I'd be interested in crafting a switch to shift between the different tunes.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Injector pulse width duration. I'd recommend an h&s programmer with custom tunes. They seem to feel the best and are definitely worth the money. I'm not a fan of how the off the shelf h&s tunes shift. Plus it gives you room to grow. A Spartan really limits you to just a basic off the shelf tune, only upside is better parameters to view if needed and data logging capabilities. I have had both, and after having my minimaxx with custom tunes I wouldn't look back. I may buy something to data log in the future but it'll probably be AE software and my laptop.

getstuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I have been doing some research, looking at KEM, Gearhead and IDP tunes those 3 stood out to me. I like the minimaxx tuner and am leaning towards that. Here is what I'm accumulated after hours of research:

I've read H&S 300 are the slowest of these, KEM 310 and Spartan 310 are neck and neck, Gearhead and IDP also very close. I've read I think it was Spartan themselves saying some of their trucks are running 12.6-12.7 all day with just tune, exhaust and delete. Now I need to find out which of these tunes work with which programmers.

These are notes I've taken, cannot guarantee accuracy:

* KEM 345:

* Appears to be a 13.2-13.4 1/4 mile, 540-550 rwhp
* Video above shows quick 60-100mph!
* shifts nice, respected

* Gearhead:

* 13.0 tune only! (1)
* 540-560rwhp(?)
* GH Race = 558rwhp / 13.0
* Supposed to be cheap (talk to Matt)

* Respected for driving superbly
* Tow tune looks fast