Resurgence of a F100

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I guess I missed that post. Stock ignition for the most part. Has a MSD cap and Blaster II coil, and Ford Racing plug wires, but distributor and ignition module are both stock parts (both are new however, that's why I'm staying with those for the time being)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sure ya did.. just ignore me like everyone else.... lol

do yourself a huge favor and get a new msd or the like ignition on there.. the msd parts on there now are doing nothing more than what the oem ignition can do with all oem parts.. makes a big difference imo.. also, like I said in the post you missed. get some ford racing spark plugs in that thing....

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

6speedsd

Reaction score
Eventually. I need to stop spending money on this thing before momma has a stroke. I'll be putting some aside through the summer months for other goodies. Drop beams, ignition, rims, ect. For now I'm just trying to get it up and going and out of the garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
I'm really liking this thread. Gives me good hope for my 78 some day. This thread actually got me thinkin of which power plant I want to use. And after some research, I'll be sticking with the 400! Aparently it does have potential. Thought about diesel conversion, but I'd rather keep this family gem more original. I do have my eye on a 70s supercab that's not too far away though, which will be a diesel conversion.....with a 4x4 conversion too. Keep at it 6speed.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, now that I have this 302 back together and almost in a running state, a 429 out of a 70's LTD pops up on CL. ***'n figures! Oh well....one of these days I'll do a swap for some more cubes.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'm really liking this thread. Gives me good hope for my 78 some day. This thread actually got me thinkin of which power plant I want to use. And after some research, I'll be sticking with the 400! Aparently it does have potential. Thought about diesel conversion, but I'd rather keep this family gem more original. I do have my eye on a 70s supercab that's not too far away though, which will be a diesel conversion.....with a 4x4 conversion too. Keep at it 6speed.
I loved the 400m I rebuilt when I had my 79..
Well, now that I have this 302 back together and almost in a running state, a 429 out of a 70's LTD pops up on CL. ***'n figures! Oh well....one of these days I'll do a swap for some more cubes.

now that would be fun

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
She's in and buttoned up.

e92e2018b19cdbe78ea9c4e45e0245b0.jpg
9fad418024083fb064b7bfbb13efe62e.jpg

Tried to crank it before dark. Not getting fuel to the pump. Pulled it off and hand pumped it into a jar of gas and it pumped, so something is up towards the tank. I blew air back through the line and you can hear bubbles in the tank. I'll trace the line back to the tank tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Hoping I don't have to drop the tank.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
She's in and buttoned up.

e92e2018b19cdbe78ea9c4e45e0245b0.jpg
9fad418024083fb064b7bfbb13efe62e.jpg

Tried to crank it before dark. Not getting fuel to the pump. Pulled it off and hand pumped it into a jar of gas and it pumped, so something is up towards the tank. I blew air back through the line and you can hear bubbles in the tank. I'll trace the line back to the tank tomorrow and see if I can find anything. Hoping I don't have to drop the tank.

looks good man!!!

oh boy, might have crap in the tank. id either put an inline filter in it or even a napa 4006 filter and drop the tank and clean it out.

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
I put an inline filter on it. Can sort of see I there behind the distributor (its black)

I ran some wire down the filler neck earlier and it came up dry, so I assumed it was empty. I put 5 gal of gas in it before trying to crank it. The tank itself is actually new, so there shouldn't be any scale in there. May just drop it and see how the inside looks regardless.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I put an inline filter on it. Can sort of see I there behind the distributor (its black)

I ran some wire down the filler neck earlier and it came up dry, so I assumed it was empty. I put 5 gal of gas in it before trying to crank it. The tank itself is actually new, so there shouldn't be any scale in there. May just drop it and see how the inside looks regardless.

10-4.. that would still be a good idea to drop the tank.

live life full throttle

6speedsd

Reaction score
Can't get YouTube to work at the moment, so let's try this way....

Edit...nevermind. won't work. Stay tuned. ...

6speedsd

Reaction score
Finally got the fuel system to prime up. Hit the throttle about 3 times, and it fired right up. Ran the rpms up about 2000ish for 20mins or so to break in the cam/lifters. Had a powersteering leak, so I shut it down and fixed that, then hit the key and fired right off and idles so nice. Those Magnaflows sound friggen awesome. Ran the pipes out in front of the rear tires.

The bad....have an exhaust leak at both collectors. Not sure how to fix it. Might get lucky and find a better donut gasket that'll seal them up, but I got my flanges welded a little crooked so they are off slightly. Those shorties use a donut to seal on the factory y-pipe, and the ones I have now are too small.

And the heartbreaker for the afternoon.....was going to take a ride up the street, but it won't go into any gear. You Rev it up high...3000ish I'd say...and it'll try to start moving, then stop. Try then stop. I'm going to drop the pan and change the filter and do new fluid. Hoping that's all it is. Fluid doesn't smell burnt at all.

heavydoc

Reaction score
Try high temp red silicone on the collectors. That's the only way I could get chebies headers to seal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Try high temp red silicone on the collectors. That's the only way I could get chebies headers to seal.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Will it really hold up? I was about to order a handful of different donut gaskets and try to find one that'd seal it.

Latest posts

Members online