Trans Temp.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Quick tutorial on what LV.
LV is low viscosity. It's for MPG and emissions requirements. The spec is super loose and not impressive at all. Honda trans oil has three times the spec from a quality perspective.

Here's the limited info available on Valvoline max Life LV.
5 cSt at 100c, 28 at 40c, that's the low vis spec for LV. But, the VI is only 156... so what happens when it gets really cold, Brookfield is 10k plus at -40.
9ddff295d1a9389cb7ff6088bb6641b2.jpg

Here is 1150. Vis is higher at 40 and 100 by nearly 20%. So it's not for emissions, doesn't meet the spec. But will hold vis at op temp and will hold better film strength by 20%. Now, what happens when it's really cold.... we'll look at that, it's vis is significantly lower at -40c.... why, because of the ridiculously robust base oil it's made with. 186 VI. So it's viscosity changes much less over temp.
2890f89a5d476eec4a4d71de74e0d734.jpg

When you start looking into the wide vi characteristics of these oils, the high quality ones start to shine pretty bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In all honesty,My original post about Valvoline,was an option on not going to the dealer for fluid.I don't doubt your products are very good.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
In all honesty,My original post about Valvoline,was an option on not going to the dealer for fluid.I don't doubt your products are very good.

Oh, no worries my man. I get so many questions about this, so I took the opportunity to put it out there. It helps give some context for people who just anonymously read posts sometimes.

Jonnylu

Reaction score
So not to hijack thread ,but my truck (on a diet) gh tunes shifts super hard when cold ,but great when it's at operating temperature? 75k and flushed trans with bg sync fluid and machine at 60k..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So not to hijack thread ,but my truck (on a diet) gh tunes shifts super hard when cold ,but great when it's at operating temperature? 75k and flushed trans with bg sync fluid and machine at 60k..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hate those machines. It's 50% personal opinion and 50% bad experiences.

Which BG

JRLott

Reaction score
Just call Jim. He'll take care of you. Im running 1150 in my trans and 8854 in the motor. I suppose one day I need to order some blue buckets for the pumpkins.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Just call Jim. He'll take care of you. Im running 1150 in my trans and 8854 in the motor. I suppose one day I need to order some blue buckets for the pumpkins.
I order a 5 gallon pail of trans fluid from Jim.I'll try anything once.Nothing to lose!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
I had wifey's 4runner done at the dealer. They hook the cooler lines up to a machine and it flushes the whole thing. No muss, no fuss. $135 w/ me supplying the fluid. I think the little thing took 4 gallons to flush. :eek:

My '12 w/ g3arhead tunes shifted hard when cold too, went away pretty fast, just figured it was nature of the beast.

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I had wifey's 4runner done at the dealer. They hook the cooler lines up to a machine and it flushes the whole thing. No muss, no fuss. $135 w/ me supplying the fluid. I think the little thing took 4 gallons to flush. :eek:

My '12 w/ g3arhead tunes shifted hard when cold too, went away pretty fast, just figured it was nature of the beast.

There have been many horror stories about the flushing machines. I think there are lots of different machines out there. And I am sure some of them work. But as a provider of premium Lubrication, I will never recommend one out of fear of a guy having trouble. Just my opinion though.

Latest posts

Members online