Cranks but no start.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Hi guys, got some info today from my scanner after breaking down on my way home last night. Hoping some of you might be able to help let me know if in on the right track.

So I parked after 100 miles of driving yesterday. Shut down and went inside the store. Came back out and wouldn't start. It cranked strong but no fire. The one thing I noticed at that time was the oil pressure gauge on the dash would not raise from the bottom until maybe 15-20 seconds after cranking. I disconnected my ICP sensor and still no start. I changed out the CPS with no luck. I pulled the IPR and inspected/wiped it down but no luck. The truck has an irate fuel system and I was showing 65psi on my in cab gauge it was not smoking out the tail pipe. The hpop reservoir was full. The oil in crankcase is right in the middle of acceptable.

Today I went back to the truck which is 60 miles from my house and hooked it up to AE. Just as I expected, ICP while cranking was only ~220psi. Disconnected the ICP sensor and it would crank up around ~2300psi. Still no start. No codes beyond ICP related from cranking without starting. I checked all fuses in cab and under the hood and all seem to ohm fine.

I think that's all the info. Does this sound like an IPR or hpop issue? I can see an IPR failing just all of a sudden, I think I'd be surprised to see the hpop give way like that all of a sudden.

Thanks guys.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Ipr. I had just about the same thing happen. Was your duty % climbing to max? Might be able to get away with just changing the coil and not the whole thing if you don't want to.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Everything plugged in?

I checked all connectors and seemed to be tight.

Ipr. I had just about the same thing happen. Was your duty % climbing to max? Might be able to get away with just changing the coil and not the whole thing if you don't want to.

Yes, DC% rose to 64% I believe and just couldn't build any ICP.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Either way it's an hpo supply issue. The truck is seeing 500 when you unplug the icp sensor so it would be activating the injector solenoids. It just doesn't have enough actual pressure to inject the fuel.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Ok. I just was making sure based on the info that I have, that I am on the right track. It sounds like I am. I will order a new IPR and install and report back.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Sometimes you need to see what the actual high pressure oil is. Not what's on a computer screen.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
I agree. Unfortunately. I broke down too far from home and now my truck is sitting in my work yard 70 miles from home. I don't have a lot of time to diagnose. If I don't get it going quickly, I have to move it to a shop.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Possibly injector orings. Make sure the nut on the IPR is tight. And I just had to replace the IPR pig tail due to random no starts.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
Possibly injector orings. Make sure the nut on the IPR is tight. And I just had to replace the IPR pig tail due to random no starts.

I'll be changing my fuel filters when the IPR arrives and will look and see if any oil is present. The injectors orings are only two years old along with the injectors but that doesn't mean much. I will also be replacing the pigtail on the IPR along with it. Cheap insurance.

wipersnapper_99

Reaction score
It's not your ipr.....it's your dirty fuel filter!!!!!I had the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
I'll be changing my fuel filters when the IPR arrives and will look and see if any oil is present. The injectors orings are only two years old along with the injectors but that doesn't mean much. I will also be replacing the pigtail on the IPR along with it. Cheap insurance.
If it's the upper oring on the injectors, which has been a PIS issue in the past, there won't be any oil in the fuel. It will pour oil out around the injector under the valve cover. And that would be my guess as to what's going on.
It's not your ipr.....it's your dirty fuel filter!!!!!I had the same issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Dirty fuel filter has nothing to do with not being able to build high pressure oil.

95powersmoker

Reaction score
If it's the upper oring on the injectors, which has been a PIS issue in the past, there won't be any oil in the fuel. It will pour oil out around the injector under the valve cover. And that would be my guess as to what's going on.

Dirty fuel filter has nothing to do with not being able to build high pressure oil.

I can pull the valve covers and take a look while cranking. I'll be back down to the truck tomorrow. Will report back what I'm finding.

I appreciate the help guys.

mandkole

Reaction score
I watched my truck (when owned by the PO) make two good dyno pulls, then as its being driven off the dyno it dies. No ICP. A new IPR then back in business and hasn't missed a beat since. It was likely the coil but all of it was replaced anyway.

Id do a replacement of the coil, then the valve, then if it still wont build, check under the VCs as was said.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I disconnected my ICP sensor and still no start.

Just as I expected, ICP while cranking was only ~220psi. Disconnected the ICP sensor and it would crank up around ~2300psi. Still no start.

I think that's all the info. Does this sound like an IPR or hpop issue? I can see an IPR failing just all of a sudden, I think I'd be surprised to see the hpop give way like that all of a sudden.

Thanks guys.

By disconnecting the ICP, AE nor any other scanner can not read HPO.

I bet it'll start if you shot it with ether. Disconnect the GPs if you decide to.

I'm gonna say injector orings. When did you install the injectors?

Billy T.
[email protected]

95powersmoker

Reaction score
By disconnecting the ICP, AE nor any other scanner can not read HPO.

I bet it'll start if you shot it with ether. Disconnect the GPs if you decide to.

I'm gonna say injector orings. When did you install the injectors?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Injectors went in a year and a half ago. It did not start with ether. Shot very little in with gps disconnected.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Disconnecting the icp sensor fools the computer into thinking the truck has plenty of HPO so it will fire the injector solenoids for diagnostic purposes in this case. It has nothing to do with the truck knowing how much pressure there actually is in this instance. Bet it might fire on ether but it's still not going to actually run because there's no HPO in the system to inject the fuel. The ipr is allowing all of it to bleed off because the coil isn't working. Mine did the same exact thing to pretty much the same exact PSI when the ipr coil went bad. Put a coil out of a van on and it started with no issue. Even on pis injectors.

Latest posts

Members online