Edge CTS vs Dashdaq for monitoring only - Pros & Cons please

jtharvey

Reaction score
I've been away from the diesel aftermarket for several years, and holy crap have a lot of things changed!! Anyhow, I just picked up a 2010 F-350 dually with 105K, using it strictly as a tow rig. Planning on Gearhead tunes on an SCT, with dpf, cat & egr deletes as the only modifications. Not wanting monster power, just reliable, safe, quiet, & smoke free for towing a 34' enclosed gooseneck, weighing in at about 13K on long road trips.

Looking at monitors to keep an eye on things, and see a lot of both the Edge CTS and the Dashdaq. Hoping to find some pros and cons of each, comparing the two for monitoring the vitals. I searched, but didn't find much info comparing the two. They appear to monitor most of the same things, including all of the information I would consider vital for towing (EGT, trans temp, coolant temp, oil temp, boost). Seemed most were happy with either one, but the Dashdaq is more expensive.

Interested to hear experiences with either one, and specific reasons for having a preference of one over the other. Thanks in advance!

Stroked777

Reaction score
I would say get a mini max and call it a day. But they are pricey now. That's my opinion. Kill two birds with one stone. Monitor and tune, and power levels are shift on the fly

jtharvey

Reaction score
I've kinda ruled out the mini max because of 1) price would be several hundred dollars higher than SCT and either of the two monitors and 2) the shift on the fly feature isn't anything that interests me, as I'll put one tune on it and leave it alone. This truck has one dedicated purpose, to tow the gooseneck on long trips. The Cummins conversion is the toy, if I want to play. :D

I guess my biggest question is what the DashDaq does that warrants a higher cost? I've read a little more about the DD, and it does seem to be a very capable unit!

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I have a CTS. The Dashdaq definitely looks better and probably has more options but mine does everything that I need it to and saved me a ton of money.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I have a CTS. The Dashdaq definitely looks better and probably has more options but mine does everything that I need it to and saved me a ton of money.

Does the CTS allow you to monitor EBP now? I am pretty sure at one time they couldn't which IMO is a major downfall and why I never purchased one. I haven't kept up with lately so I am not sure about EBP.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
ive never ran the CTS, but Ive had the DD for a few years and have a couple of them in different vehicles and love it. the only thing I wish it could do in my truck is subtract the baro PSI to give the actual EBP... but its not the end of the world

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Swapped my CTS over from my old truck. Set it up to read EBP along with a few other PIDs. So far all seems well and it's showing the same parameters as the MiniMaxx. I do like the MiniMaxx power on the fly but the screen was just a tad small for my liking.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Swapped my CTS over from my old truck. Set it up to read EBP along with a few other PIDs. So far all seems well and it's showing the same parameters as the MiniMaxx. I do like the MiniMaxx power on the fly but the screen was just a tad small for my liking.

Good to know that you can read that with a CTS

jtharvey

Reaction score
How much did I save? I see the initial price difference (CTS ~$400 and DD ~$550, correct?), but is there more cost involved with the DD after initial purchase, like some sort of access code to get all of the PID's?

Also curious if the CTS can read fuel rail pressure, while in Ford mode. I've seen mixed posts about it on the forum, but nothing in the last several months. Some say yes, some say no. Any experience?

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I have the Fuel Rail PSI PID selected as well. I cant say how accurate it is but it does read PSI in K. I recall seeing 5.7k displayed at idle.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Does the CTS allow you to monitor EBP now? I am pretty sure at one time they couldn't which IMO is a major downfall and why I never purchased one. I haven't kept up with lately so I am not sure about EBP.
Yes, with the most current update it will read EBP and absolute manifold pressure.
How much did I save? I see the initial price difference (CTS ~$400 and DD ~$550, correct?), but is there more cost involved with the DD after initial purchase, like some sort of access code to get all of the PID's?

Also curious if the CTS can read fuel rail pressure, while in Ford mode. I've seen mixed posts about it on the forum, but nothing in the last several months. Some say yes, some say no. Any experience?
It will also show rail pressure, yes.
It will do coolant temp, trans temp, rail pressure, ebp, boost, egt, oil temp, volts, and I can't remember the others but it's a lot. All you'll ever need for sure. Also does data logging

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
IMG_20140811_100957962.jpg

jtharvey

Reaction score
It sounds like the CTS will do everything I need/want it to do for less. And that screen shot that HeavyAssault put up looks like it would be perfect for what I'm wanting to see!

Thanks for all the input. :thumbup:

Radioflyer

Reaction score
It sounds like the CTS will do everything I need/want it to do for less. And that screen shot that HeavyAssault put up looks like it would be perfect for what I'm wanting to see!

Thanks for all the input. :thumbup:

You'll be happy with it. I've been running one on my for quite some time and love it. FWIW...edges website is mis leading on what all the PID's they cover; IE Fuel rail pressure and EBP.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Mine does too......but Edge doesn't list them on their PID listed supported for the 6.4's yet the EBP and Fuel rail pressure is actually a supported. So when someone goes on their site, and they see that, they may think those PID's are not supported.

Accel Pedal Position
Barometric Pressure
Battery Voltage
Corrected Speed
EGT
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Load
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Engine Run Time
Gear with TCL
Intake Air Temp
Mass Air Flow
Mileage Coach
MPG Instant
MPG Average
Regeneration Status
Time 0-60
Time 1/4 mile
Trans Temp
Turbo Boost�
http://edgeproducts.com/products/insight-cts-83830/

B585Ford

Reaction score
You'll be happy with it. I've been running one on my for quite some time and love it. FWIW...edges website is mis leading on what all the PID's they cover; IE Fuel rail pressure and EBP.

Thanks for pointing that out. When this thread first was started, I checked out the site and noticed that.
It can't be set up to change tunes can it?

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. When this thread first was started, I checked out the site and noticed that.
It can't be set up to change tunes can it?

Not that I know of with the fords.
Only 01-05 Duramax's. I wish they would hurry up and support XRT's, LBZ's, LMM's, and all the CSP5 stuff. Be much nicer IMO.

Latest posts

Members online