blown up-pipe need advice

diesel_fan

Reaction score
Well seems like when it rains it pours. On the way home today I blew the drivers side up pipe, I'm needing to order some HD's soon who's should I go with?

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I just received mine from SDP and they are fantastic quality and fit perfect

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i just put the bd manifold and up pipe set on my shop truck . unbeatable for the price.

DWhite

Reaction score
Yep I'm with Mike. I'd run the BD Kit and I've bought 2 kits from him and I recommend the kit it is probably best bang for the buck.

diesel_fan

Reaction score
Yes I've been running stock pipes just buying my time so I've still got the egr feed. I'll take a look at the BD kit I haven't had a problem with my manis but I guess I should change them since I'm there

Last edited:

footlong70

Reaction score
I would agree it would be wise to do the manifolds at the same time. Here is some pics to give you an idea of the kit. You can see they are much straighter with fewer bends. The bends that are there are smoother than stock. Plus a big benefit is that there is less volume to pressurize overall compared to stock, especially with the catalyst pipe gone. The manifolds are wicked heavy and thick. But they bend very nicely at each port to throw the exhaust flow back towards the up pipe. Stockers have nothing of the sort, just one wide open chamber. Don't be fooled by the bd manifold size because the volume of the bd manifolds are only slightly more. (I did some water/measuring cup tests for curiosity sake on the larger manifold and the stock manifold+larger elbow uppipe). The kit also comes with all the gaskets, bolts, spacers, ac line adapter (which is optional IMO). Also you should wrap whatever you buy with a good high temp header wrap.
IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I would agree it would be wise to do the manifolds at the same time. Here is some pics to give you an idea of the kit. You can see they are much straighter with fewer bends. The bends that are there are smoother than stock. Plus a big benefit is that there is less volume to pressurize overall compared to stock, especially with the catalyst pipe gone. The manifolds are wicked heavy and thick. But they bend very nicely at each port to throw the exhaust flow back towards the up pipe. Stockers have nothing of the sort, just one wide open chamber. Don't be fooled by the bd manifold size because the volume of the bd manifolds are only slightly more. (I did some water/measuring cup tests for curiosity sake on the larger manifold and the stock manifold+larger elbow uppipe). The kit also comes with all the gaskets, bolts, spacers, ac line adapter (which is optional IMO). Also you should wrap whatever you buy with a good high temp header wrap.

the main benefits of the manifolds are much better flow than stock and the fact they use the 6.0 style where the 90* bend is in the casting. the 6.4 stock manifolds dont have the bend in the casting and the 90* turn is made in the up pipes themselves, a weak point. not too mention high quality stainless and bellows. my cab was off so i did them , because i was already there, very happy with the fit and quality, and glad i was able to use something i sell alot of .

footlong70

Reaction score
the main benefits of the manifolds are much better flow than stock and the fact they use the 6.0 style where the 90* bend is in the casting. the 6.4 stock manifolds dont have the bend in the casting and the 90* turn is made in the up pipes themselves, a weak point. not too mention high quality stainless and bellows. my cab was off so i did them , because i was already there, very happy with the fit and quality, and glad i was able to use something i sell alot of .

You betcha :thumbsup:

twitch02x

Reaction score
If you still have the Egr feed pipe installed it could be the bellow in that pipe and not an up pipe

Heavy Stroker

Reaction score
If you still have the Egr feed pipe installed it could be the bellow in that pipe and not an up pipe

Wow wow I said that first! Lol

Glad it's an easy fix Diesel Fan! Just move your block off plate, tap for eps, and make sure to keep the eps tube attached when reinstalling. Spinning it around works best.

Last edited:

twitch02x

Reaction score
Wow wow I said that first! Lol

Glad it's an easy fix Diesel Fan! Just move your block off plate, tap for eps, and make sure to keep the eps tube attached when reinstalling. Spinning it around works best.
Haha I think we've all been there with the Egr pipe bellow leaking, now once you move your block off plate up top, the Egr provision coming off the pass up pipe is going to crack at the weld in a few thousand miles more than likely, it's from heat and pressure getting trapped right there, same thing with the bellow.

When that happens just cut off the provision and weld plate over the hole and weld in a new bung for ebp sensor

Heavy Stroker

Reaction score
I would think a wastegate causes more stress on the weld. Do you have a turn down pipe coming off wg too?

Also just my experience, I blew the cooler feed pipe 20k miles ago, and still running block off plate up top.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.