Need Turbo Opinions MW Billiet 62,66 or Elite Torque Tows?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I need some help choosing a turbo setup for my truck. The truck is a 2008 Job 3 F-250 CCSB 262,000 miles. The turbos on the truck now are on the way out.. Making odd noises at idle no power odd noises at high boost. I tow 14K + daily up steep grades and was looking for a setup with towing in mind. Recently a hand full of "single turbo" threads have come up but I have rarley heard people talking about towing with a single . The +'s I've heard is

1. More room under the hood

2 Reliability

3 cheaper to rebuild

I got a couple questions

1.How does the billet 66 spool up while towing?

2. What would EGTs be like climbing a 6 mile 6% grade towing 14K+? ( I tow up this grade almost everyday) ( I know some of it depends on your right foot)

2. Cruising EGT temp? At 60 MPH 14K+ load flat ground with some rolling hills? And unloaded at 60 MPH flat ground?

3. Which would be a better choice 62/68/.91 or the 66/74/.91 for what I tow?

4. I've read that singles tend to have less EBP because no VGT and they tend to keep the engine alive a little longer less stress on the rods?

5. I know that singles tend to love the higher RPM than a compound setup. Will the single cause any more rocker arm damage than a compound setup because the truck will sustain higher RPMs for long periods of time while towing?

Elite torque tows

1.Will this setup exceed stock EBP #'s?

2 both turbo setups will require a no limit CAI correct?

All opinions/experiences welcome

Thanks in advance

Csilva187

Reaction score
If your towing 14k daily with this pickup I'd find a good set of factory chargers to replace yours. That's just me. Sure I'd upgrade Atmo if I found a good price, but no single.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Midwest Diesel also stocks our workstock turbos which are a 59mm High Pressure & 72mm Low Pressure. They retail for 2749.99 and spool like stock with 700+RWHP potential with proper fueling.

Thats the route I would go

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'd stay close to stock. Definitely no single. As far as buying new stock compounds, for what they cost, I wouldn't. I'd either buy a used stock setup on here and throw on a drop in atmosphere, or just buy a torque tow/work stock set up. Whatever people offer in a 72-79 atmosphere and 54-59 hp. I would keep in mind because you need the truck and it sounds like downtime needs to be kept to a minimum, I'd stick with someone that has them readily available and is easy to get a hold of.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
A local diesel performance shop said $1300 (cab up) to remove and re install turbo. What you guys think? He also asked me if I need to do anything else while the cab is up.. what else could I do while the cab is up (excluding up pipes) (for reliability)?

B585Ford

Reaction score
For towing and trying to maintain reasonable EBPs and EGTs, I would try lean towards the Elites' Tow Torque first and my second choice would be the Elite 71/59, the RCD 71/59 or the Barder 71/59. For your intended use, I don't see why you would go beyond a 71 atmo. When towing, I didn't run into EBP issues with a 71 atmo and stock VGT because I ran a tow tune. When I ran a race tune with that setup (not hooked to a trailer), I could run into EBP issues at WOT and higher RPM. That seems to be the same for any of the atmos of 71 or larger with a stock VGT. The reason I leaned towards Elites Tow Torque is because they are the closest to stock but have better wheels....the slightly larger atmo should give you a little more power and help with EGTs and the slightly larger VGT should help with power, lower EGTs and EBP slightly, yet still spool up at least as good as stock. If you get too big on the atmo or VGT, you could run into slower spool up which s#cks for towing. I wouldn't consider a single for your intended use of the truck. I am assuming you use your truck primarily as work truck when making these recommendations....so you want it to tow good and be reliable. Obviously, keep in mind if the ones you are looking at are readily available.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
choose any one of the many site sponsors that sell a 71/59, stock housing charger setup and rock out...

getstroked27

Reaction score
agreed. punched out stockers would be a great place to start. no need to pull the cab, just a mild PITA to get the stock chargers off the dowels on the pedestal. if pulling the cab, you may as well do some preventative maitnence like studs and gaskets. not a huge issue with these trucks but if your running a 71/59 it would be good insurance. also, up pipes would be a super smart thing to change out. i know mine lasted me 98k on stock chargers before i lost a bellow. like i said, mostly just preventative stuff.