Vacuum pump

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
Ok, so the vacuum pump that is attached above the fuse box under the hood(6.4) is making lots of noise. Rattling loudly. Is it a sign it's failing? And what exactly is it for? I'm about 1000km from home and would prefer to wait until home but I'm headed through the Rockies and don't want to have fail and then there be a bigger problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
Ok. The the heater and a/c work ok. But it won't engage 4x4 in auto mode. Only if I manually lock the hubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
My vacuum pump went out about a month ago. Same thing, for 4wd I had to manually lock the hubs. My truck was at the dealer for a couple other things so I just had them replace it. It was about $250, so I'm sure if you do it yourself it would probably be 1/4 the cost.

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'd trace all of the vacuum lines from the pump to the solenoid up on the front on the shroud and down to the hubs. Bet you have a cracked line/broken plastic fitting/ or disconnected line.

TD-5

Reaction score
turn the key to the on position, The Vacuum pump should pull a vacuum & then shut off. If it runs continuously look for a leak. Starting at the pump pull the hose/tubing & plug the port on the pump, if it pulls a vacuum & shuts off, then the pump is probably ok, work your way thru the tubing disconnecting & plugging the tube running back towards the pump to narrow down where the leak is. If you get down to where the tubing leads into the hubs ,then the vacuum seals in the hubs are probably NFG.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I found the best way to look for leak was to start at the pump and work your way away from it pulling lines and covering with your finger so that if it pulls a vacuum and shuts off=good, and if not then you know the problem is between the last point that checked out and the one that didnt

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise. I'm off for the next few days. Hopefully I can get to it, as long as the honey-do-list isn't to long

Canadian6.4

Reaction score
Are there alternative vac lines that some could use? Like the high temp rubber ones?

madman1234509

Reaction score
I'm sure you could use.anything that'll fit on the ports.... as long as it keeps a seal. Its probably 1/8 npt? Go all out with some stainless braided vac lines lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.