International Pistons

buckster

Reaction score
Are the HD pistons (International) recommended ring end gaps the same as standard specification from Ford?

If yes, can someone confirm the information I have here?
Piston Ring End Gap
Top: 0.011-0.031 in
Middle: 0.056-0.076 in
Oil: 0.009-0.029 in

Lastly, what is recommended for a daily driver, lower side of the tolerance?

Thanks in advance.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
whats wrong with the rings they come with? they are international stock bore spec.

psdguy95

Reaction score
This is right from the international maxxforce 7 manual. epa 2010. Not sure if it helps or not. I can also check the 2007 emissions engine and see if they are the same if you'd like.

Top compression
0.29 to 0.55 mm (0.011 to 0.022 in)

Intermediate compression
0.67 to 0.82 mm (0.0263 to 0.0323 in)

Oil control
0.25 to 0.40 mm (0.010 to 0.016 in)

buckster

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I only asked because when I measure the rings I received with the pistons, I get roughly the following:
Top 0.013 in
Middle 0.028 in
Oil 0.012 in

All three are in line with what psdguy95 posted from the international maxxforce 7 manual. I was concerned as the middle ring did not match the ford specs I have, so before I started filing the ring, thought I'd ask.

I'm curious as to why the middle ring specs are so different.

psdguy95

Reaction score
I'm assuming they are tighter on internationals to help with oil contamination from regens. honestly i don't know. Didn't even know they were different.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I think you should only go with either the top or second ring with the zero gap. If not it traps compression in between the rings and they "flutter". I don't know of any other reason to not run them in a DD. But I'm not an expert. If I ever tear into mine I'll be doing gapless rings. I think the forged pistons in a DD is a no go because there isn't a cast ring groove. So they wear out faster.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think you should only go with either the top or second ring with the zero gap. If not it traps compression in between the rings and they "flutter". I don't know of any other reason to not run them in a DD. But I'm not an expert. If I ever tear into mine I'll be doing gapless rings. I think the forged pistons in a DD is a no go because there isn't a cast ring groove. So they wear out faster.

OK, thanks....wasn't claiming to be an expert. That was just something I thought I read and didn't know the reason.

Latest posts

Members online