Cracked Bed Plate (6.4)?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
So I took the dually in to the dealer for what seemed to be a rear main seal leak. They call me today and they said that the bed plate cracked? The engine got pulled today and they are replacing the bed plate. Anybody heard of a cracked bed plate before and what could have caused it? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
No, that's retarded. And if they replace the bed plate it has to be line honed to fit the block since they are machined together. And you can't buy them separate, so I don't know were they would get it any way.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Unless they're talking about the plate that attaches to the bed plate that holds the oil pan...either way sounds like they don't know what they're talking about lol

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
No, that's retarded. And if they replace the bed plate it has to be line honed to fit the block since they are machined together. And you can't buy them separate, so I don't know were they would get it any way.

:whs:

Only cracked I have seen is when my buddy windowed his block.

Unless they're talking about the plate that attaches to the bed plate that holds the oil pan...either way sounds like they don't know what they're talking about lol

IDK is dealer kinda retarded LOL. We will find out on Monday.

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Seen one cracked, can't remember if it was the bed plate side or the block side but it was on the mating surface between to two. Got a replacement short block. For the same concern as yours, oil leak.

Also seen a 6.0l crack at the oil cooler reservoir.

I've also had 3 6.4's with collapsed pistons, all trucks vins were in succession.

Point is never say never, there is a lot of weird **** that happens

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Im also going to assume/hope that its thew UPPER oil pan that is in question here...

Either way, that is alot of work, would you mind sharing the hours/qoute when its all said and done?

sonic blue l

Reaction score
Pistons are tapered from top to bottom, basically the skirt of the piston is wider then the top of the piston. When the skirt is the same or narrower it's collapsed. This causes the piston to rock and gives you piston slap.

Bottom line is the skirt is the widest part of the piston, if it's not then it's collapsed.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Update

Dealer called me on Tuesday and said they have to bring in a part and it will take awhile. One thing they did not specifically say what the "part" is for. They just said they need to bring in a "part". What i'm wondering is what is this "part"? a new engine, short block, a spaceship? LOL

Latest posts

Members online