Would you buy a 6.4 again?

sno-x139

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im currently out of the diesel scene driving a '12 6.2 f250 gasser. :lame: Surprisingly it's not as much of a turd as I originally thought it would be..for a gasser.. I had 2 6.0s prior to this which believe it or not gave me little problems, egr failed once but that's it. Anyway, really missing the torque and power of diesels. Found what looks to be a clean 6.4 with 50k on it, however doing some further research I've read many horror stories about cracked pistons and fuel systems trashed. Long story short, I want a truck that I can drive everyday and not pray each time I drive it that it will do what I need it to. Also not looking for crazy power, just basics(tune/exhaust/intake) would this be a realistic wish out of a 6.4? Anyone know how to prevent the causes of these catastrophes with these trucks? Would I be better off looking for a 6.7? Looking for some good insight from 6.4 owners!

Thanks!

Jake

ncollins64

Reaction score
I would. Just do the basics and delete it and not dog the piss out of it 24/7 and you should be fine. And keep the water seperate drained frequently.

wiseguy

Reaction score
I still own a 600,000 mile 03 6.0. I dumped my 08 f550 before it was out of warranty. If I had to pay for everything that went out under warranty I would of went bankrupt. Under 100k 2 hpfp's , dpf x3, 2 hp turbos, blown hg, and a long block not to mention 5 radiators, hoses, thermostats, ebp sensor. At the time I owned 14 trucks my 6.4 truck had more issues had more issues than all the rest combined.

Twinturbostroker

Reaction score
I still own a 600,000 mile 03 6.0. I dumped my 08 f550 before it was out of warranty. If I had to pay for everything that went out under warranty I would of went bankrupt. Under 100k 2 hpfp's , dpf x3, 2 hp turbos, blown hg, and a long block not to mention 5 radiators, hoses, thermostats, ebp sensor. At the time I owned 14 trucks my 6.4 truck had more issues had more issues than all the rest combined.

That's about as ass backwards as luck gets.....a strong running early 6.0 and lemon 6.4

Radioflyer

Reaction score
I would. Just do the basics and delete it and not dog the piss out of it 24/7 and you should be fine. And keep the water seperate drained frequently.

WHS^

Minor stuff done to the truck and regular maintenance helps a ton. Find the history on it and go from there. Radiator, hoses, anything and everything you can find and how the truck was maintained.

97stoker350

Reaction score
They all have problems but everyone knows if you want a be all end all truck the mystical 7.3 powerstroke is the truck most sought after

F.X.5

Reaction score
I would only buy one as a toy and if I had at least 10-15k worth of "play money" available at any given second. Mine has been one thing after another. Would be a great truck if someone had the money to throw at it. I would buy a 7.3 for a dd before a 6.4. A gasser dd is ideal if you ask me.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
6.4s arent like 6.0s... they are worse

When they break they break big. Almost always requiring a short block.

If you cut pistons ect you are looking at spending some money but it probably wont let you down. So buy it cheap as ***

Latest posts

Members online