ATS transmission decision

ConcordBobbah97

Reaction score
hey guys, so I finally got my BTS valve body in a few weeks ago, and with the PHP tunes, it is the best $250 I have ever spent. The transmission shifts so firm and quick in every single gear I couldn't ask for more. How ever, my friend is putting a manual in his truck and now has offered me his stage 4 or 5 ( not quite sure yet) ATS transmission for....500 dollars. My question to you guys is has anyone had an ATS and how is it?

ConcordBobbah97

Reaction score
well I have every intention on running it, and I am sure it will hold up with my HP goal of around 350 RWHP, and ill be sure to swap the valve body and transgo plate, I have just read some really awful reviews on ATS and I would hate to take out a perfect trans for one that could blow up 5k later

bruce

Reaction score
I would be skeptical of an ATS or any working transmission in that case for 500 dollars. If he can't provide a receipt then I would assume its stock. The core is worth more than 500 though

Last edited:

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
My ATS was horrible. I twisted the input shaft the first year with only 160/100's, the next year the OD planetary. It would have been ok, but their warrantee doesn't really cover anything once the tranny is installed in the truck. On the pull truck I snapped the intermediate shaft in my BTS, sent it back and he fixed it, no questions asked. I have an HD4R100 in my work/plow truck now that I have had less issues with than I did my ATS. I wouldn't swap an ats in even if it was a stage 10.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Its a friend selling it so for $500 take a shot. Worst case it blows at some point but your only wanting 350HP, a stocker can take that.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
My ATS was horrible. I twisted the input shaft the first year with only 160/100's, the next year the OD planetary. It would have been ok, but their warrantee doesn't really cover anything once the tranny is installed in the truck. On the pull truck I snapped the intermediate shaft in my BTS, sent it back and he fixed it, no questions asked. I have an HD4R100 in my work/plow truck now that I have had less issues with than I did my ATS. I wouldn't swap an ats in even if it was a stage 10.

What stage? A Stage one is all stock shafts. And for 500.00 its not even a question just do it.

ConcordBobbah97

Reaction score
I have all receipts with billet shafts 5 star TC inner clutches done, I didn't get a chance to read much further. He is a good friend and he is selling it to me for so cheap because he got his whole manual swap for so cheap. I am just skeptical about taking out a good transmission and putting in an ATS, btw it only has about 20k, my truck has 94k

ConcordBobbah97

Reaction score
and my next upgrades are going to be 160/30s or 160/80s not sure yet, a wicked wheel 2, 8 pass trans cooler. That's probably all I will do, maybe and intercooler down the road

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I figured that you getting it was already decided, it was more of a question of if you would put it in or not. If it's known to work, I'd sell it before putting it in and being disappointed sometime shortly down the road, especially since you have Brian's VB already. Also, being 2nd party, receipts or not I doubt ATS would ever cover anything if something happened. Maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Latest posts

Members online