600 RWHP and still able to tow?

white00strokerks

Reaction score
Going to start on my new build here in the next month or so and starting from scratch. It is a 2006 f250 ccsb 4x4 wich is my second truck so down time isn't a issue. I have another motor trans and transfer case that will get built so I can leave it togeather as long as possible. My end goal is to have a 600hp daily drivable truck that can still tow its gvw and preform well at the local county fair truck pulls. I have read the 600-700 hp thread and i understand what I need to get there but what I havent found is if it is capable of doing this and still being able to tow 24000GVW? I know the power comes easier with fuel and air but I know that the bigger the injectors the harder it is to keep the EGTs down. So for all of the 600 ish hp guys what would a guy need to make that power semi relible and sill be able to tow to the trucks potential. Would like to be able to do it without compounds if possible but if thats what I have to have then I will go that route. Thanks for any advice in advance.

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
I think it would be possible with a good tow tune. I was able to tow 15k with 190/75s and a PowerMax with Gearhead tuning. It could have been very manageable with a larger turbo.

However, 190/75s with compounds in my dream setup.

strokin6L

Reaction score
no matter what single charger and injector setup you have....only way to have 600hp while towing...you will need to do it with a race tune. You wont be able to have 600hp on a tow tune with a single charger and whatever injector size....and still have egt's manageable....just isn't gonna happen. To be able to tow the weight you want...and be able to do so with 600hp and not worry about egt's a whole lot....you're gonna need compounds....just no way around it.

Now if you want a DD that it capable of 600hp, but then have a tow tune to tow big weight and back hp down for towing to around 400hp....then that's doable with a single turbo/injector setup.

For instance....my truck's setup it a good 600hp on a race tune. I would never in my wildest dreams ever attempt to tow the amount of weight you want to with this setup on a race tune at 600hp.

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
How much money do you have???? Hitting the 600hp mark and still being able to tow max weight is tough with any single turbo. Compounds will be much easier.

550hp and still being able to tow is MUCH easier.

Keeping your injectors nozzle size smaller will help to keep egts down and tow easier. I think 30% nozzles are the biggest that I would recommend to someone looking to tow max weight... but it is really tough to break 600hp on 30% nozzles.

Keeping your turbo smaller will also help keep egts down while towing but it will limit your top end power (not your DD power).

Adding as many airflow mods as possible will also help but it adds up really quick. Here are a few examples. No limit CAC tubes, No limit cold air intake, alradco intercooler, WPE ported intake manifold, ported heads, etc...

190/30 + a Stage 2 64mm or 2.5 turbo should put you right around 525-575hp and still be able to tow max weight. Will feel just like 600hp on the streets but will fall short on the dyno/track

190/30 + Stage 3 68mm turbo should put you around 550-600hp but it will start to get hard to tow. You will have to keep your rpms up and wont spend much time in OD. It is possible and I have had guys tow Max weight with this setup... but they had to really watch their temps, get a REALLY good tune, and then drive with caution

190/75 + Stage 3 68mm turbo should put your around 575-630hp... but NOT RECOMMENDED FOR TOWING. I have had many guys try and none of them blew up their trucks... but egts were pretty high.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat and you can mix and match many different types of turbos/injectors... but that should give you a general idea of what you are up against.

white00strokerks

Reaction score
plan

My plan was to do fuel system, rr return, big oil, no limit piping, intercooler, ported intake, 190cc 50 or 75% nozzles, stage 3 twisted trans, and either a large VGT turbo or compounds. If I go compounds I could use a little help on sizing them and wich particulat turbos would work best for my setup. If there are any tweaks or additions to my plans or if I am way off base let me know.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Isn't the stage 1 and stage 2 the same profile/grind? Only difference I knew of is that the stage 2 is billet and requires no core charge. I know there's some running a stage 2 with no fly cut pistons

JGman141

Reaction score
stage 2 cam has a little more duration than the stage one, I'm currently running the stage 2 with no fly cutting and it's doing fine.

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
I tow just a little with my setup (205/85) with the Barder 71mm, EGTs are warm, but doable, usually cruises around 1200 and hitting hills at 1500ish. I believe its all in the tuning and how heavy you are on the throttle. But can it be done...yes!

alradco

Reaction score
I tow just a little with my setup (205/85) with the Barder 71mm, EGTs are warm, but doable, usually cruises around 1200 and hitting hills at 1500ish. I believe its all in the tuning and how heavy you are on the throttle. But can it be done...yes!

Cruises at 1200 towing? How heavy?

swinky

Reaction score
That's not acceptable in most peoples book. Mine included.

Reid@Flyindiesel

Reaction score
Cruises around 11-1200, but when you drive unloaded it runs anywhere from 800-1000. So when towing these egts are not bad. If you're saying towing cannot be done, it totally can be done, just elevated egt numbers. Nothing to cause severe damage. Towed anything from our 25' boat to a full size horse trailer with one horse to a dump trailer full of trash, not sure on weights. I would like to see how it pulls with a skid steer and 30' gooseneck. But overall for having a big single charger on 205s these egts aren't terrible.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.