HID projector install

MEDIC350

Reaction score
long story short I've been thinking about doing a headlight build for a long time. after driving my wifes new edge sport with projectors i can see a clear difference in light output from her other one w/out projectors she just traded in. i found a set of headlights for a good price on Ebay and got them torn apart to start the build.

my plan is color matched housing with a projector inplace of the factory headlight and leaving the turn signal as is . everything painted white tricoat with tuxedo black projector shroud .i have some morimoto H1 projectors on the way, but for now I'm prepping the housing for paint.

does anyone have any tips for doing a headlight build with projectors..i know whats involved just looking to do it right the first time.

I'm thinking about halos on the shroud but I'm not sure how long they last

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Not a lot of help but I just bought a set of spyder brand project headlights for my truck and if the light output sucks Morimoto makes drop in projects for spyder headlights so im going to go that route. It is much easier!

jwanck11

Reaction score
I am on the heel end of my build.

Why did you go H1 instead of D2S???

I bought halos but sent them back. There are no square halo rings that you can mount behind the shroud to shine through the vents... and I did not want to see the ring sitting on the front of the shroud.

3 tips:

1) lengthen the harness by soldering on 2 feet of wire that runs to the driver head. this will allow for a much cleaner hiding of the harness
2) Get a deep shroud so that you will have minimal space between the shroud and the bucket (unless you are going to make a custom extension)
3) You can cut off completely the halogen mount point from the reflector bucket - this will be hidden by the shroud.

If that is at all helpful, I am happy to share more. I have taken pictures along the way and will get them on Photobucket one of these days soon.

MEDIC350

Reaction score
I am on the heel end of my build.

Why did you go H1 instead of D2S???

I bought halos but sent them back. There are no square halo rings that you can mount behind the shroud to shine through the vents... and I did not want to see the ring sitting on the front of the shroud.

3 tips:

1) lengthen the harness by soldering on 2 feet of wire that runs to the driver head. this will allow for a much cleaner hiding of the harness
2) Get a deep shroud so that you will have minimal space between the shroud and the bucket (unless you are going to make a custom extension)
3) You can cut off completely the halogen mount point from the reflector bucket - this will be hidden by the shroud.

If that is at all helpful, I am happy to share more. I have taken pictures along the way and will get them on Photobucket one of these days soon.

i thought about getting the D2s but without having something to hold in my hand i can't picture the size there going to be i may end up just returning the H1's once i get them lol and hell yea throw some pics up here let me admire your hard work and take some pointers

jwanck11

Reaction score
The D2s are surprisingly large -and its completely personal, but I think the square profile fits the SD heads better.

I'll throw picts up later today.

jwanck11

Reaction score
Here are a couple. You can see where I've mounted the Morimoto control as well as the Denso ballasts. I used Denso because I want to retain the Auto on/off feature and the morimoto system is hit or miss in that department. You can also see how I brought the highbeam wires through the back of the housing. I wanted a cleaner look so I drilled a 3/8" hole, used a grommet and shrink tubing to seal the opening. This way I did not have to drill/punch through the boot. I will put more picts up as I get time!

AF5958B6-76E1-4664-B041-A213B7015DCD_zpscfjctw47.jpg

61D2E0C7-25E5-4B7F-9F47-330568232DD3_zpssrvzluvc.jpg

38A8F96B-0405-4F1D-B624-08935C919293_zpsewmoxsxi.jpg

B7756E80-9EAD-456D-A8CE-47C578423883_zpsbd56hnx2.jpg

David1089

Reaction score
If your stripping the chrome, best thing I found that helps is easy off oven cleaner. Spray it on heavy let it sit about 15-20 minutes, rinse the chrome off works great on the inside of the bezels

MEDIC350

Reaction score
If your stripping the chrome, best thing I found that helps is easy off oven cleaner. Spray it on heavy let it sit about 15-20 minutes, rinse the chrome off works great on the inside of the bezels

sounded way to good to be true, however i ran out to get some easy off oven cleaner. i let it sit for 15 minutes and i can't believe it took the chrome completely off.. thanks for the tip!

charles henson

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how these turn out,this is the 1st veh i've had without factory hids in awhile and i miss them bad but like the factory housings and not wanting a $1500 set of lights since i may not keep this truck very long.

David1089

Reaction score
No problem brother, I thought there had to be an easier way than sanding that crap off, im glad I could help ya

David1089

Reaction score
Looks awesome! Did you build those yourself? I want a set for mine!

Yea man it took me a month to build them but I love them! And honestly it's not that hard to do. Only this I wish I would've done was color marched the inner bezels the same color as my platinum grille. And the side markers, don't waste you time with Klearz. When I received the tabs were broken and I had to jb weld them in. I'd say save the factory's if you can and paint them

WydOpen

Reaction score
Yea man it took me a month to build them but I love them! And honestly it's not that hard to do. Only this I wish I would've done was color marched the inner bezels the same color as my platinum grille. And the side markers, don't waste you time with Klearz. When I received the tabs were broken and I had to jb weld them in. I'd say save the factory's if you can and paint them

Thanks for the heads up on the Klearz. So how is the projector mounted in the reflector exactly? How do you ensure proper aim?

David1089

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the Klearz. So how is the projector mounted in the reflector exactly? How do you ensure proper aim?

I ordered a set of the B-stock projectors. And took a dremel and ground the tabs off the 6 tabs off the edge and popped it loose. Centered the lens and took my dremel again with a small drill bit and cut the holes and screwed the things in. Sounds crude but at least I'm still using the factory bulb mount and everything. That's why if you look closely the two are offset slightly.

Latest posts

Members online