I'm stumped on a 03 no start

dbunyip

Reaction score
Working on an 03, did turbo, swapped to a ported 05 intake, Fuel banjo bolts, bulletproof EGR, HPOP, Glow plugs, all new o rings on the hpo lines and injectors and now it wont start. All the work was done as a P/M thing, nothing was wrong with the truck before the work. Other than PCM recalls and oil changes the truck has never had a wrench on it and has 160K

Truck Has aprox 1500-1800 PSI cranking verified with a mechanical gauge
IPR is around 40-50% cranking
Fuel Pressure is 45PSI and a new pump and both filters
CMP/CPK are in sync and I put both new ones
FICM is in sync and at 47.5-48V
ICP was new about 3 months ago
IPR had new screen and o rings and I took it out to double check nothing was in it
Low pressure oil is registering on the dash
Shows a cranking RPM of 3-400rpm
Both batteries replaced
All fuses checked
No Codes
Injectors buzz strong when turn the key on and pass the buzz test and I can see oil being exhausted out the injector while cranking
Did the bubble test in the fuel filter

It will have a minor cough while cranking like maybe 1 hole fired one time every couple revolutions. I can smell fuel at the exhaust and is a little smoke after long cranking

What are the chances that 8 injectors were built wrong? How many bad injectors will it take for a 6.0 to not run? we had our injectors sent in and redone but I guess thats not guaranteeing that we got our same ones back I guess. They were upsized injectors but nothing crazy, I'm not sure exactly what he ended up going with as I didn't order or spec them. I believe they have 30% nozzles. I know they came from diesel DR.

My next guess was to pull an injector and make sure I have fuel coming through the heads and look at one.

One thing that did seem maybe off was that the ICP stays at around 100psi while off and it will hold that pressure even for a few days of truck sitting, this is also verified by mechanical gauge that it is holding pressure.

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
All the fuel/oil work was done all at the same time? If it was a 7.3 and it won't start I'd say that's par. Key cycle several times to get fuel in the heads & injectors. Then jump the starter using the wire on the passenger side fender several times to get the motor turning but w/ out firing to get oil back into the hpo system.

I'm not a 6.0 expert by any means but I'd treat it similar to a 7.3 in the fuel/oil regard to a hard start right after fuel and oil work from my experiences.

Good luck.

ghohouston

Reaction score
All the fuel/oil work was done all at the same time? If it was a 7.3 and it won't start I'd say that's par. Key cycle several times to get fuel in the heads & injectors. Then jump the starter using the wire on the passenger side fender several times to get the motor turning but w/ out firing to get oil back into the hpo system.

I'm not a 6.0 expert by any means but I'd treat it similar to a 7.3 in the fuel/oil regard to a hard start right after fuel and oil work from my experiences.

Good luck.

Spot on. I'd also double check all 3 ficm plugs are fully seated.

Gary

Reaction score
One thing that did seem maybe off was that the ICP stays at around 100psi while off and it will hold that pressure even for a few days of truck sitting, this is also verified by mechanical gauge that it is holding pressure.

^^ That kind of odd, where are you reading ICP from? the ICP port by the IPR?
Look at the ICP pressure vs voltage, with the key on you should see 1.1v, if you see anything much different you have a biased sensor. Then unplug the ICP connector and see if it goes to 0 voltage.
FWIW, I have had a no-start 6.0 that the problem was the FICM, and all the voltages were good, I plugged in a known good one and it fired up.

dbunyip

Reaction score
I've been cranking on it for 2 weeks now, definitely more than it should take to bleed it. It will start on starting fluid but only runs for a few seconds. The injectors are from dr diesel or diesel dr. Something like that. My buddy got them. I always use full force but these were half the price......

Icp is checked via scanner and with a gauge plummed into the driver side oil rail. Both match.

Im only going by memory but the icp v was 0.18v cold at 0psi after cranking it goes to around 0.6 and reads 100psi. While cranking it was around 2.2v and 1500-1800 psi

Fuel pressure stays at 45psi pretty constant. It has the blue spring kit in it previously

Again that was from memory but at the time i had the V vs PSI chart out and it was matching up. And the scanner and the mechanical gauge matched

Gary

Reaction score
Well, All the data your posting up looks good, at this point I think that you should try a known good FICM, if that doesn't work I'd go to those 1/2 price injectors.

dbunyip

Reaction score
Well found a ficm I could steal and that wasn't it so out come the injectors. Only thing I can think of at this point.

Latest posts

Members online