Big Power 6.4 guys. Transmission ???

pdumont01

Reaction score
I compared a high stress application to another. The clutches in a truck trans are way more beefy than the dinky ones in a focus, as far as weight to power ratio its probably pretty close. Look how small the parts in my trans Are and how big the parts in a torqueshift are. Also drag racers with 9 sec cars use alto clutches. But yeah I'm not towing 20k#+ with the focus. Alto is a good brand. That's it. Stop hating on the focus. And who on this site is making 2500ft#????

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
I compared a high stress application to another. The clutches in a truck trans are way more beefy than the dinky ones in a focus, as far as weight to power ratio its probably pretty close. Look how small the parts in my trans Are and how big the parts in a torqueshift are. Also drag racers with 9 sec cars use alto clutches. But yeah I'm not towing 20k#+ with the focus. Alto is a good brand. That's it. Stop hating on the focus. And who on this site is making 2500ft#????

the altos are a harder material. Therefore, in a street application, they have to shift crazy hard so they dont glaze. Also,way less forgiving-if they slip once,they,re done. the GPZ are a lot more forgiving and hold fine with acceptable shifting characteristics.

Oh and btw-same tuning ive always run so its not that...

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
the altos are a harder material. Therefore, in a street application, they have to shift crazy hard so they dont glaze. Also,way less forgiving-if they slip once,they,re done. the GPZ are a lot more forgiving and hold fine with acceptable shifting characteristics.

My soft shifting allison is going on 5 years and 60k with red altos....

Fast-6.0

Reaction score

I disagree. Crazy hard shifting is what usually kills Alto reds. With poor tuning the GPZ doesn't show signs of burning, but the material does wear off, and it will even destroy the steel plates. I've been using GPZ for quite awhile now, I had the first prototypes, and I feel its better than Red alto (In the 5R110), but GPZ or Alto Red, if the tuning is crap the clutches will fail.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
let's compare apples to apples please...
You said they have to shift crazy hard so they don't glaze in a street application. My trans shows otherwise, granted I'm not big power but I'm over 500 hp and street drive it every day and they haven't glazed.

Reaction score
i struggled with transmissions repeatedly until i finally bit the bullet and had Morgan @ Midwest Diesel work his magic on it. One of the most favourite mods i ever did. i swear the truck was faster too...

its not just what hard parts you put in but how you work the pump and how good the tunes are.

ahremet input shaft (300m is no good), billet everything else, raybestos GPZ clutches, new solenoid packs, precision or dpc convertor. The secret is then the pump work and the other builders tricks that don't get talked about.

How come the 300m is no good?

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
What ever you do make sure it has the Raybesto's GPZ clutches, I had one build with the Red Eagle / Alto mix and it burnt up quickly.

Reaction score
Tuning ....It can ruin the best trans builders work. End of story.

We have over 60+ low 11sec passes @7500lbs on our trans.

No matter who you use it will still have problems with the damper splines in converter this is in ANYONES unit. There is only so much the market is doing to address this situation. I am trying to work on a solution but it is not top priority....

And if you have been through 7 rebuilds there is something going on.:confused::confused::confused:

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Had the GPZs in my truck for 3 years and havent had any issues as far as burning them up, had other issues with some other parts of the trans but im sure we have them ironed out now.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I disagree. Crazy hard shifting is what usually kills Alto reds. With poor tuning the GPZ doesn't show signs of burning, but the material does wear off, and it will even destroy the steel plates. I've been using GPZ for quite awhile now, I had the first prototypes, and I feel its better than Red alto (In the 5R110), but GPZ or Alto Red, if the tuning is crap the clutches will fail.

So im not nearly the genius Tadd is butt....I had red alto's in the trans before the one that's in it now. They didn't even last 10k miles between both motors that were in the truck during the life of that trans. Never did a 4wd launch, never pulled it, never raced it, basically normal driving with the exception of a few small boost rolls, that was it. And they were TOAST. So im kind of not a fan of them...

pdumont01

Reaction score
The way the trans is set up and the programming is what roasts a trans. Properly set up there should be no issues. Any monkey can slap a trans together, use top notch parts and burn up any type of clutch.

Black AOD

Reaction score
The way the trans is set up and the programming is what roasts a trans. Properly set up there should be no issues. Any monkey can slap a trans together, use top notch parts and burn up any type of clutch.

I am aware of this. Just made a statement that's all :poke:

BeauxPete

Reaction score
Came to the decision that I don't won't anything to do with this trans that's been in my truck. Will be getting with Morgan on his Comp trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black AOD

Reaction score
Came to the decision that I don't won't anything to do with this trans that's been in my truck. Will be getting with Morgan on his Comp trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Choice. Loving Mine :toast:

chris d

Reaction score
has anyone thought about doing a built 4r conversion? i heard they hold up good in high hp 6.4 builds. I'm curious to know if anyone runs them and what their results are