Re-scaling y axis in PW table

Kind

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the y axis on their injector duration table? I've been playing with my PW a lot lately and have found better gains in turbo spool up while also controlling smoke better. But looking at the y axis I began to wonder if re-scaling it so there is less low throttle input numbers and evening them out a little more. So below 10psi throttle input doesn't take up half the table... Rather jump by 3 until 30psi then jump by 5psi until 80psi which then it is a 20psi jump.

Attachments

• IMG_3907.jpg
    IMG_3907.jpg
    715.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3905.jpg
    IMG_3905.jpg
    813.1 KB · Views: 83

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
haven't done it with PW, but I've definitely done it with LBF

one thing I've learned messing with this stuff is that there are MANY ways to skin a cat as evidenced by your LBF tables!

you're essentially throwing boost reference out the window and going purely off of pedal position vs. RPM. This is assuming that the x axis on the fuel mass map is based off of pedal position and not a calculation

I like LBF limiters because they help limit soot under all conditions/altitudes/etc.

You'd think either one would get you to the same spot, but maybe there's a calculation being made somewhere in there that we're unaware of that's throwing off timing or something?

I guess these are the situations that call for actual data-logging to clarify completely.

But I definitely dig your outside the box thinking! Again, very interested to hear what you think of your testing!

Kind

Reaction score
Yeah I tried to work the LBF tables, some exactly like what Haller and Dustin shared and many derivatives of it. But non seemed to be more responsive and cleaner burning then my current one with full fuel. The one thing that did make a big difference for me in the LBF tables was re-scaling the boost axis like Dustin and Haller shared.

Other then that I found controlling my injector duration much more beneficial then most other adjustments. I read a few years ago it is much easier to light a larger charger with less fuel then to much fuel. So I began to apply that logic recently once I became comfortable with it and have been very happy so far. I've gotten some areas in my power curve to be as responsive as a NA gas motor all while barely letting out slight puff of smoke and quickly clearing up to nothing.

But I still have areas that are sluggish(relatively speaking to the truck) and I feel spreading out my 15-30psi throttle input could greatly improve the control of my injectors rather then the larger gaps currently in the y axis. At the moment so much happens between those throttle inputs, from cruising at 15% to making 50 pounds of boost at 30% throttle but the 15-22% throttle could use a lot more finesse in the duration... Hence my inquiry. I am currently re-working the entire table but it is time consuming but once I get it done I will be trying it out. I was just curious if anyone had done this yet to maybe have some insight before I become guinea pig.

Data logging would be awesome and a very valuable tool for me but I don't have a dyno to strap to for a few days and the street isn't the place to be opening this thing up... Often enough to do real testing.

Last edited:

Kind

Reaction score
haha I don't have a stock truck to work with and I'm no where even close to being as good as the guys that do it for a living. My outside the box approach comes from my lack of knowing any better lol. It just happens to work in my favour most times. Probably just my stoner senses haha.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
meh, the torque and fuel mass numbers are pretty arbitrary at the end of the day

timing, pressure, and duration are the ACTUAL dictators of performance, so I can totally dig just focusing on those and not playing with the fluff in between

Kind

Reaction score
So this is what I came up with as a starting point relative to where I had it in the original y axis.

b400ac7eb93db53a61cd57dfd9313554.jpg

And this is the original y axis table.

d5e6c6671cff0ec26c1d88612e63e3a9.jpg

Going to go load it up and see from there.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
looking forward to results!

stuff like this makes me not want to get rid of my 6.4... ever...

the amount of tuning control for the 6.4's is better than the 6.7's IMO. little stuff like being able to run without glowplugs code-free, etc.

I mean, I'm actively 6.7 shopping, but I just don't know that I can cut loose of the 6.4... makes no $en$e to keep it, but I have daydreams of "one of these days" putting together the ultimate 6.4 tune.

carry on!

Kind

Reaction score
So far I like the change quite a bit better. I have fine tuning to do but I'm impressed.

Latest posts

Members online