shift solenoid d stuck off

Halvy85

Reaction score
So we just put the engine in this past weekend and took the truck out for a test drive. First mile or two went fine then it revved like it missed at gear shifting up and now it's been acting up ever since. Reverse has a long delay before it shifts into gear and it doesn't always let you shift from reverse to drive. You have to go to park then straight down to drive. I can't remember what the dtc's are off the top of my head but I can pull them when I get back home. I know it's solenoid d stuck off and one more. Any thoughts? Change out solenoid and fluid maybe? Trans worked great when we pulled engine.

sootie

Reaction score
usually that is clutch material stuck in the solenoid. directs are likely smoked.

Black AOD

Reaction score
That is literally exactly what happened to my trans last Saturday. Its going off to Morgan for a rebuild soon, after TS probably.

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
So we just put the engine in this past weekend and took the truck out for a test drive. First mile or two went fine then it revved like it missed at gear shifting up and now it's been acting up ever since. Reverse has a long delay before it shifts into gear and it doesn't always let you shift from reverse to drive. You have to go to park then straight down to drive. I can't remember what the dtc's are off the top of my head but I can pull them when I get back home. I know it's solenoid d stuck off and one more. Any thoughts? Change out solenoid and fluid maybe? Trans worked great when we pulled engine.

Try a solenoid and new fluid. Might get you by for awhile, but your days are numbered.

Halvy85

Reaction score
That's what I figured. It was just rebuilt a little over a year ago though and doesn't have that many miles on it. I'll try change out those solenoids and put new fluid in it. Hope for the best I guess. Was hoping to pull with it this weekend but that's not looking good.

08Monster

Reaction score
Same thing happened to mine on Saturday also!!! Wouldn't go forward. Zero power, had to hold it floored for 5 seconds to start it creeping forward.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
How well does that upgraded solenoid work with aftermarket clutch packs? I had the HD kit from elite in this last time and will probably go with the same or maybe their comp kit this time.

It works extremely well. I've got more than I can count out there in transmissions with Elite kits. Great addition

Reaction score
Bad sign, I tried new solenoid and fluid buh-bye $250 as I had shop do it against their reccomendation. Hopefully the shop that did rebuild will warranty it for you

Reaction score
I was dropping truck off for other work, and I showed up with the fluid and solenoid. They did as I asked for an hour shop rate, figured I may get lucky, yeah right. They said every time D solenoid goes with long delay reverse, no 5/6, and tow haul flashing, they usually call Jasper and start pulling the tranny out... So I had them do a Jasper, as this past February getting hammered with snow in Boston, tranny shops were 3 weeks out. Online vendors suped up rebuilds were beyond my price range. The Jasper has 3yr/100k warranty and will pay 75%? Labor nationwide at any shop that they deal with, it was 3100 plus labor 500 more for better warranty than Ford

Halvy85

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a little update on this project. The trans will not be covered under warranty so I decided to go ahead and rebuild it myself. I got everything apart and the directs were definitely smoked.

IMAG0508.jpg
IMAG0507.jpg

Also found that the input shaft had been pushed back and wore into the inner splines on the planetary. It was far enough in that the input shaft was rubbing into the face of the intermediate shaft.

IMAG0495.jpg
IMAG0497.jpg
IMAG0505.jpg

I finally got just about everything I need to go back together with it just missing a couple thrust washers that were missing when I took it apart. Its getting a new pump, DPC converter, oil cooler, and a billet overdrive planetary.

Couple questions I have with it is what would cause the input shaft to be pushed back like that? And second what is the best way to get the gears out of the old planetary and into the new billet one? TIA

genie144

Reaction score
That sounds like what my tranny is doing. Originally diagnosed as short in the harness. Then OSS sensor. Now PCM. Think the warranty company is tired of throwing parts at it - might be new tranny time...

Sam

Latest posts

Members online