Possible clogged intercooler?

08strokin

Reaction score
Ok guys i recently got my 6.4 back together after rebuilding the engine and im having higher than normal egts and boost lag at a low rpm. Ones boost get up to about 10-15 psi the truck takes off like a rocket. Ive checked for boost leaks and exhaust leaks but i have found any. I just made a trip from Chattanooga to Knoxville running anywhere from 70-75 and i noticed when i got back home that the hot side intercooler pipe was so hot that it would sizzle water..... im thinking a bad intercooler due to the fact that before my rebuild i gernaded the high pressure turbo and it took out the low pressure as well. I thought i got it all cleaned out but now im second guessing myself. :fustrate: What is your guys opinions? Thanks in advance for the help!

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Ok guys i recently got my 6.4 back together after rebuilding the engine and im having higher than normal egts and boost lag at a low rpm. Ones boost get up to about 10-15 psi the truck takes off like a rocket. Ive checked for boost leaks and exhaust leaks but i have found any. I just made a trip from Chattanooga to Knoxville running anywhere from 70-75 and i noticed when i got back home that the hot side intercooler pipe was so hot that it would sizzle water..... im thinking a bad intercooler due to the fact that before my rebuild i gernaded the high pressure turbo and it took out the low pressure as well. I thought i got it all cleaned out but now im second guessing myself. :fustrate: What is your guys opinions? Thanks in advance for the help!

Verify the VGT is operating properly, and that the EBP sensor is reading correctly and the EBP sensor tube isn't clogged. Sounds like VGT issues on the HPT to me.

ghohouston

Reaction score
How exactly can an intercooler become "clogged"? They can get oil buildup in them, yes, but actually clogging, I don't see how.

08strokin

Reaction score
If you have a monitor look at EBP, boost and VGT duty cycle at idle. What tunes are you running?

Ok i will check when i get home tonight, what should the ebp to boost be normally? Im running h&s mini max with canned tunes. Does the mini maxx have the capability to measure vgt duty cycle?

08strokin

Reaction score
Sounds very similar i am getting 45 pounds of boost once it spools up though. I didnt mention i am running industrial injection 71/58 turbos as well. One thing that keeps getting me is how hot the hot side pipe gets.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Compressed air gets very hot, hence the need for an intercooler. If you're having boost issues I'd still look into a leak. Sometimes they can be real hard to find until they get worse. Exhaust side leaks could be manifolds, up pipes, between turbos and even on the VGT actuator arm itself. Boost side leaks, all intercooler boots, compressor housings, intercooler seams, intake manifold to heads. Check all of those, make a boost leak detector if you have to.

08strokin

Reaction score
So i haven't had much time to mess with my truck this week do to work but i did a run from 30 to 90mph tonight and watched my boost and ebp and the highest its got was 43 boost and 73 ebp. Does that sound right? I made a boost leak detector and im going to test for leaks tomorrow.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So i haven't had much time to mess with my truck this week do to work but i did a run from 30 to 90mph tonight and watched my boost and ebp and the highest its got was 43 boost and 73 ebp. Does that sound right? I made a boost leak detector and im going to test for leaks tomorrow.

Is that absolute Bp or with barometric removed ? 43 doesn't sound terribly low , how does it feel ? Typically there will be a lot more Egt with a boost leak.

08strokin

Reaction score
Egt was around 1400, im not sure it came straight off the mini max. Its very laggy and smokey down low but once it hit 10 to 12 psi it lights and takes off.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Egt was around 1400, im not sure it came straight off the mini max. Its very laggy and smokey down low but once it hit 10 to 12 psi it lights and takes off.
Doesn't seem too far off. Seems like you should get a little more boost out of a 71/58 setup though. 1400 egt seems about right too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

08strokin

Reaction score
Well i finally had time to work on the truck i didnt find any boost leaks, i do have a small exhaust leak at the pass uppipe where it meets the steed speed manifold. It seems it is just slightly misaligned but im not sure if that would be causing my issues. When i take off from a stop and give it anything over 1/8 throttle it has a steady stream of black smoke. Do i need to update my tune to accommodate the larger turbos?

Latest posts

Members online