t4 mounted to vgt?

Reaction score
I thought i had come up with this concept on my own and found out other wise. :pointlaugh: But after i had found the mount that would allow this to happen, i was curious about why we dont see more trucks with this setup? Wouldn't a s372 (for sake of picking a charger) and the stock vgt make a nice pair up? Is the total cost involved in this setup a set back or the stock vgt a restriction with backpressure? in my sad little mind it seems like it would be a nice compromise between big single and multiple steps of going to bigger LP chargers... just spinning the wheels trying to get set in a build direction is all. Thanks for any input

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Elite has been doing this for years. All of their turbo options besides the Tow Power do this.

Reaction score
thats what i noticed, but i didnt see any one running "smaller" turbos with their bolt on mount. Is there no reason that this wouldnt be a valid option then? i just like the thought of this setup better with my truck use and elevation change scenarios here locally, and if theres no reason not to then this will go on the the to-get list....

Reaction score
I see. I was kind of hoping to get something of a happy compromise that id be able to fuel to later and not have change the turbo out again. Would there be a recommended A/R ratio to start with for the turbine housing? I see 1.0, 1.10, and 1.25 as options. i was leaning toward the 1.10 due to slight drop in drive pressure and maybe being able to delay the point in the rpm it would come in at? or should the 1.25 be a better choice?

Reaction score
Im going to start looking at cfm airflow of some turbos, id really like to drop these egt's as much as possible, i just dont know how much the A/R ratios effect the rpm the turbo begins to spool. I found an 87mm turbine upgrade option for the 70 some millimeter turbos, likely to go that route as far as that goes

sootie

Reaction score
You're re-inventing the wheel...

there are easier ways to achieve the same goal

Matt

Reaction score
I always thought it would be neat to put an s472 or s475 with the stock vgt but the drop in offerings are a bit cheaper and a lot less work.

stroker221

Reaction score
Side action guy had done this to his truck last time I seen it. Nice setup really but not sure how it performed

Reaction score
i wasnt aware he had taken the triples off. I understand the unusual things that will have to be changed with the oil supply, return, as well as the intake setup but thats also part of what peaked my interest in going this route. Im one that prefers things a little bit different then the rest of the pack. I put the truck in the garage for winter and seldom drive it then thanks to this west virginia salt so there will be no time issue there. And Matt, ive looking into 372's or bigger because i believe i read somewhere that the s300's would fit the factory downpipe flange.

Last edited:

stroker221

Reaction score
Ya I seen it and talked to him about it at TS this year. Took the trips off and is trying this now. I can't remember for the life of me what atmo charger he is using but I'm pretty sure the vgt was a 59

Reaction score
That's awesome, I was thinking on a bigger HP build it probably would beneficial to jump the vgt up to the next size. It would be nice to get his input on his experience. I'm actually looking forward to doing this. As long as the turbine A/R is right id say it should spool nicely up top n burn all of the stock fuel. I'm looking forward to see if the back pressure drops any as well.

devdiesel

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it was a modded 63mm stock appearing hp with a s475 lp.. Very nice setup with a lot of thought put into it. Mounting a bigger lp turbo to a stock appearing hp turbo does no good beyond what the stock hp compressor side can flow. You can only stuff so much air through a tiny 1" hole. Only way to improve airflow beyond the basic drops is with a bigger wheel and compressor housing or a different hp turbo all together... Or NOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Thank you guys for coming and talking and visiting at TS was good to talk to everyone !

But for the record. The only reason we chagnged from the triple setup is because I was at the limit of what the HP cover would flow.

So now moving forward we have been testing our 63mm with COMP cover for months now and been very happy with results!!

So far the truck ran 11.47@117mph on the triple kit on 275file with our100%injectors

We so far on the COMP1 turbos setup which is a 63mm -vgt and comp cover paired with our 75mm low pressure turbo.
Truck has ran [email protected] mph on a 250 file with our 100% injectors

We will be offering the HP vgt in the comp series line starting at a 63mm and we will be able to go to a 68 mm. Kit prices are not known yet call the shop for pricing

How many of you guys are interested in these as a kit paired with a 80 or 82 mm atmo ???

I'm not asking interests I'm asking who wants one... ??? Be real with me and I will be real back please :)

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thank you guys for coming and talking and visiting at TS was good to talk to everyone !

But for the record. The only reason we chagnged from the triple setup is because I was at the limit of what the HP cover would flow.

So now moving forward we have been testing our 63mm with COMP cover for months now and been very happy with results!!

So far the truck ran 11.47@117mph on the triple kit on 275file with our100%injectors

We so far on the COMP1 turbos setup which is a 63mm -vgt and comp cover paired with our 75mm low pressure turbo.

We will be offering the HP vgt in the comp series line starting at a 63mm and we will be able to go to a 68 mm. Kit prices are not known yet call the shop for pricing

How many of you guys are interested in these as a kit paired with a 80 or 82 mm atmo ???

I'm not asking interests I'm asking who wants one... ??? Be real with me and I will be real back please :)

this might be a dumb question but, what would the 63 or 68 vgt and 80 or 82 mm atmo support max HP wise? is this stock location setup?

Reaction score
this might be a dumb question but, what would the 63 or 68 vgt and 80 or 82 mm atmo support HP wise? is this stock location setup?
I'm hoping the 68 will support 950 but we will see ....
We have not dynoed this setup yet. But the truck weighs 7500 lbs race weight on a calculator I believe it puts us at around 820 or so.....

We will dyno this setup in the fall but for now have not had time to do so. To many builds going on along with more product development.

Attachments

• IMG_20150603_131826139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150603_131826139_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score

I've always been a big fan of of large VGTs!
I would be very interested.
Would love to see some drivability and sound clips.
What are you using as far as low pressure turbo options?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I'm hoping the 68 will support 950 but we will see ....
We have not dynoed this setup yet. But the truck weighs 7500 lbs race weight on a calculator I believe it puts us at around 820 or so.....

We will dyno this setup in the fall but for now have not had time to do so. To many builds going on along with more product development.

So are you knocking off Elite's setup with a cheaper lp turbo? I mean I know there are only so many ways to do something but it looks exactly like a High/Max Power setup.

Latest posts

Members online