Thinking single turbo, got a few questions

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm thinking if going the single route for my truck; DD, sled puller, drag track. I was looking at getting the MPD single kit when it's available and have a few questions.
I will be running stock fuel for a while and plan on dual fuelers and nozzles, how would either s472 or s475 work on stock fuel? What turbo would you choose and why? Also what a/r would you run? I do plan on spraying with it too. I don't know much about single turbos on the 6.4 and I just recently started thinking about it. Any info would be great, thanks

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
I wouldn't go any bigger then a 72 if your going to be on stock fuel, a few guys have ran a 72 with a .90 housing on stock fuel and with good tuning it's alright on the street, I'm going to be running a s472 with a 1.0 housing with my build but I'm also putting In a 2200rpm convertor and a stage 2 cam which will help a lot with spool, I'll be on stock fuel except an airdog2 and fuel bowl delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
I have a stage 1 cam, I'm jus tossing the idea around right now. Testing the waters, I know big power can be made from a 472, saw mpd made 947 on spray with one

extreme3807

Reaction score
I have a stage 1 cam, I'm jus tossing the idea around right now. Testing the waters, I know big power can be made from a 472, saw mpd made 947 on spray with one

That's close to what you will make on a 475 fuel only with dual pumps, and 100% overs. All depends on how much power you are looking for?

Stroked777

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 750-800hp dd that pulls and races on weekends. I was gunna do 76/59 set up and eventually do fuel system to match, then started watching videos of singles. Figured I could do a single then dual pumps eventually with nozzles and supporting mods

The single appears more appealing to me, just the atmo 76 alone is 2500 then the 59 vgt is another 1500+

Stroked777

Reaction score
Our single pedestal is about done. Been really damn busy lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I called today and talked to buddy, I do plan on getting the kit from you guys when it's avaliable and when I get the money together for it, I'm leaning toward a 472 if that would be an option, I just want something that will be good with stock fuel for now and then be able to handle 100% down the road

My question is if I go with a 2200 rpm stall converter would that be something I could run with compounds again if down the road I change my mind, what's the down side to running a 2200 stall on compounds, would it hurt anything

madman1234509

Reaction score
High trans temps. Im going to start off with a 2000 rpm stall with my compounds and go from there. 2200 probably wont be terrible for non vgt compounds of a decent size. Probably not that great for a vgt set up

B585Ford

Reaction score
I called today and talked to buddy, I do plan on getting the kit from you guys when it's avaliable and when I get the money together for it, I'm leaning toward a 472 if that would be an option, I just want something that will be good with stock fuel for now and then be able to handle 100% down the road

My question is if I go with a 2200 rpm stall converter would that be something I could run with compounds again if down the road I change my mind, what's the down side to running a 2200 stall on compounds, would it hurt anything

To me, it seems like you are going to be asking an aweful lot from what ever turbo setup you do. We all now know about a turbos map is important for performance...if you go to small on the turbo, you leave a lot of powa on the table...go too big and you get a smokey and laggy truck. Asking 1 turbo setup to do well with stock fuel and then be handle twice as much fuel (whether it is a single or compounds) means you will have to give up a lot at 1 time or the other....especially with a single. If you go the single route, why not do a 66 now and when you add fuel sell the 66 and go to a 475 (assuming MPD's kit can accommodate both)?

Stroked777

Reaction score
Just because I'm going with 100% doesn't mean I'm gunna use all the fuel they provide, just figure on 100% so there's fuel there if needed instead of doing injectors again if I do go for more, I want it to be clean and not a freight train, I'll cut pw way back to get it to a light haze or completly clear. Also plan on running NO2 so the injectors will beable to provide fuel for that too

And I say 100% just for now, unless someone provides info that would say it would hurt to run bigger than needed nozzles

Last edited:

madman1234509

Reaction score
I honestly dont think 2200 is a bad option for that size single. As far as stock fuel on a 72.... you may be disapppointed at first, its hard to say. Going from something that lights instantly to a middle of the road (in size) turbo is going to be noticeably laggier. With fuel youre going to make good power. Dont have any doubts about doing 100% nozzles. Itll leave fuel on the table if needed. Im going with the same size and I havent done any competition oriented stuff except dyno. Ive always been patial to compounds. But if you have a budget the single kit is the way to go, esp if you can install it yourself and not pay labor on installation of it.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
I should have my truck back together and running in a few weeks with that set up, s472 double batmo w/1.0 housing and a 2200 stall convertor on gearhead sct tuning, I'll post up info on how it drives, should help you make your decision when your ready.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I honestly dont think 2200 is a bad option for that size single. As far as stock fuel on a 72.... you may be disapppointed at first, its hard to say. Going from something that lights instantly to a middle of the road (in size) turbo is going to be noticeably laggier. With fuel youre going to make good power. Dont have any doubts about doing 100% nozzles. Itll leave fuel on the table if needed. Im going with the same size and I havent done any competition oriented stuff except dyno. Ive always been patial to compounds. But if you have a budget the single kit is the way to go, esp if you can install it yourself and not pay labor on installation of it.

i do try to do as much work as possible, with out having a life or a garage, just a drive way and a shady tree

Stroked777

Reaction score
I should have my truck back together and running in a few weeks with that set up, s472 double batmo w/1.0 housing and a 2200 stall convertor on gearhead sct tuning, I'll post up info on how it drives, should help you make your decision when your ready.

sounds good man, if yuou dont mind me asking where did you get the 472 with a double batmo and how much did it run you?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Should be getting something on the machine this week. Our machinist has been sick, and we have a series of big projects that are in a pinch to be finished with deadlines, so things have to be put on hold to get these done.

Honestly 30% of 60% are more than enough fuel, our 30% nozzles put down 900hp on spray, 750 on fuel. If youre looking for fuel only1000hp, then would I go 100%. But 60% nozzles with dual pumps and good tuning and you will be on track for anything thats more than enough on the street.

You can only cut back pulse width so far before the truck starts to idle funny (to cut down on hazing), drivability no matter what you do is going to be less with a larger nozzle.

cast 472 flows more than a batmo 72 FYI, I would also recommend 2200 stall, like what is in Mikes truck.

Latest posts