CCV re route/ quick question

Nick284

Reaction score
going to be re routing my CCV today. figured why buy one when i can have the fun in doing some things on my own... question is, im going to run a line from the oil fill under the truck. then im putting a enclosed filter canister (catch can). do i need to run a line back up to the intake tube? i was going to let it die right inside of the catch can but then i read people were then runing a return line into the intake again. therefore the canister filters the gases, leaves the oil on the bottum of the can and returns the rest to the intake... i dont see why id bother to do that but wanted to make sure i could just let it die off into the catch can with no return lines anywhere else....thanks guys!!

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Most people just vent to atmosphere and don't run the line back to the intake.

Nick284

Reaction score
Single turbo set up also. Prob just running it to a catch can with no return. And drain it so often. ^^^ he said il be fine lol

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
That is correct. I don't even have a catch can on mine at all. It doesn't leak any oil at all but if you feel like you want a catch can, then ya I would just do a can with no return to intake.

travisH3

Reaction score
ive had mine vented to atmosphere for a little while now. there is zero oil dripping and only down side is when the sun is setting and at night when headlights shine on your truck you can see some smoke coming from it but you learn to live with it

Stroked777

Reaction score
Some people run the CCV to a strainer that tractor supply sells for 24 bucks then back to te intake. You will notice the haze behind you in the headlights of cars at night if you vent into the exhaust or the atmosphere

Nick284

Reaction score
i bought the TSC strainer and ran the line to it. let it die into the canister with no return or any other lines. mounted it on the frame rail, cant even see it. im happy, looks fine, and does its job. enless by letting it all build up/sit inside the can ends up causing an issue but from what i read just drain it once in awhile and its fine...

Nick284

Reaction score
finally got my truck running perfect with the single setup. but for the ccv re route id like good answers to solve it! i ran 3/4 inch line from the oil fill to the frame rail, and attached a tractor supply strainer (catch can) let it die right inside. no return, or venting for a breather. i find out thats not good due to build up of pressure, white smoke, etc... so how are you guys letting it go straight into a catch can with zero problems? right now it dumps off the frame but id like to send it into a can preferably so its not visible at all!!

B585Ford

Reaction score
finally got my truck running perfect with the single setup. but for the ccv re route id like good answers to solve it! i ran 3/4 inch line from the oil fill to the frame rail, and attached a tractor supply strainer (catch can) let it die right inside. no return, or venting for a breather. i find out thats not good due to build up of pressure, white smoke, etc... so how are you guys letting it go straight into a catch can with zero problems? right now it dumps off the frame but id like to send it into a can preferably so its not visible at all!!

I would recommend a minimum of 1" ID hose if you are only running 1 hose. I would bet that is major problem with your setup. Personally, I vent to the atmo so I can't help ya from there....36k miles and zero problems and never have had 1 drop of oil out the hose.

johnp115

Reaction score
Mine just runs down and dumps by the passenger door. Easy to see how much blowby there is, and never any oil residue in my line. Pretty sure if it were to drop oil/have oil residue them you got bigger problems than worrying about your CCv

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Mine just runs down by the fire wall and dumps by the passenger door. Easy to see how much blowby there is, and never any oil residue in my line. Pretty sure if it were to drop oil/have oil residue them you got bigger problems than worrying about your CCv

I agree...if you are getting oil, you probably have issues although I have heard some guys say the do....I don't do drags or sled pulls but the last 25k+ have been hooked to a trailer weighing 7400 empty to 24k fully loaded so I know the truck gets a lot good workouts and I have never seen a drop.

johnp115

Reaction score
I agree...if you are getting oil, you probably have issues although I have heard some guys say the do....I don't do drags or sled pulls but the last 25k+ have been hooked to a trailer weighing 7400 empty to 24k fully loaded so I know the truck gets a lot good workouts and I have never seen a drop.

Yeah I'd be concerned if I even had residue..

Being right next to the door, every now and then I can feel the inside of the line and it's always dry.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I believe there is some people that run a line from the outlet of the strainer right back into the intake. That way crank case gasses are being drawn out under a vacuum and the gasses going back in the intake are oil free

Nick284

Reaction score
Im not getting any oil. I just want to run a catch can. That way i dont smell it at all, or see the vapors at a stop light. All preference obviously. Not that its a big deal like most people say. But thats how id like to do it. Ive read alot of people just run a hose to a can and thats it. So im wondering why mine didnt work. Could be too smsll or hose, and too small of a can maybe. Its not breathing and causing built up pressure. Which makes sense

black'n'blue

Reaction score
Is there a vent/filter on the catch can? There has to be some type of pressure release so the fumes can vent. Otherwise you'll just have a pressurized system totally defeating the purpose of the vent. I'm not familiar with the TS can

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
You could do that too. But a lot of people say you still see the haze and you can smell it if te wind is going the right direction

Latest posts

Members online