Newbie fuel system question

mcvay20

Reaction score
Alright guys pretty new to diesels and had a question on my fuel system. On the 6.4 when upgrading fuel what should you recommend to do first? LP side or HP side? How much have you guys seen the stock system to handle and which should be upgraded first? My current mods are AFE intake, AFE 4" DP back exhaust and an SCT with custom innovative tunes running the xtreme x tune. Looking in the near future to do headstuds and 4" DP with wastegate. Thanks!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Alright guys pretty new to diesels and had a question on my fuel system. On the 6.4 when upgrading fuel what should you recommend to do first? LP side or HP side? How much have you guys seen the stock system to handle and which should be upgraded first? My current mods are AFE intake, AFE 4" DP back exhaust and an SCT with custom innovative tunes running the xtreme x tune. Looking in the near future to do headstuds and 4" DP with wastegate. Thanks!

LP. Factory water separator sucks and that is what kills the HPFP. 1 stock HPFP can get you close 700 RWHP with enough supporting mods.

mcvay20

Reaction score
So eliminate the stock separator and put in a fass or air dog with pump is what you would recommend? Also what about injectors? Any need to upgrade as well?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Fuel lab or Aeromotive on the LP side. Stock HPFP is maxed out on most trucks with sock nozzles at full PW. Most on here say you don't need nozzles until u upgrade your HP system. Spool up is huge to me so I love my 15% nozzles...unless I get it live tuned I might give a little up on top...depends how u use ur truck but well worth it to me

08strokr

Reaction score
I have an airdog 2 165 and mpd's fuel bowl delete...when I had my single 66mm turbo there I did 570 hp on an uncorrected dyno with a no limit intake full egr delete the fuel work and custom tunes from Matt at gearhead all on stock fuel...I'm running a 471 now so my hp will be higher but haven't dyno yet

getstroked27

Reaction score
yes on aeromotive or fuel lab. it completely depends on what your plans are for the truck. i know some secret squirrel business is going on at MPD with a modded HPFP right now, nozzles are perfected, and fuel bowl deletes are as well. unless your going bigger with the charger setup, stay stock on the HP side IMO.

mcvay20

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. Future plans I have so far are to get the headstuds done and DP with wastegate first. Then move onto cooling such as intercooler and tubing. Then I would like to go to possibly a drop in 71mm but am not to sure what to do with my fuel system when I do that which I why I was asking the original questions.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys. Future plans I have so far are to get the headstuds done and DP with wastegate first. Then move onto cooling such as intercooler and tubing. Then I would like to go to possibly a drop in 71mm but am not to sure what to do with my fuel system when I do that which I why I was asking the original questions.

If that is your future plans I would just upgrade the LP system on the fuel side of things.

mcvay20

Reaction score
Ok ya I just wanted to make sure that's all I would have to do and to see if HPFP or injectors would be in the future for me.

Nick284

Reaction score
running 30's, duel pumps and a 467. will a fass 150 or AD 165 be enough for me? assuming air dogs new design is good lol. but my budget cant go much past that so i need education

Jonnydime

Reaction score
You will be fine. You could also build you own like me. I'm running an A1000 fed by a Dahl 200 filter/water sep with a 2 micron primary filter. I think I'm into the whole thing for less than $600.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.