Rubbing Elbows with the 6.0L! Mishimoto Powerstroke Intake Elbow R&D!

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We've started development of an intake elbow for the 6.0L. Check out the progress on our blog or posted within this thread.

http://engineering.mishimoto.com/category/ford-6-0l-powerstroke-intake-elbow-2003-2007/

Rubbing Elbows with the 6.0L! Mishimoto Powerstroke Intake Elbow R&D, Part 1: Factory Component Evaluation and Initial Prototyping

If you are familiar with our brand, you know we have a vast product line of heat exchangers and associated products available for the Ford 6.0L Powerstroke. We’ve had great feedback from our customers about our existing products as well as the new products they would like to see come out of our garage. Now that we have our own 6.0L shop truck (shown below), we have easy access to a vehicle for product development and test fitting.

2ynfndz.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0L shop truck

We decided to come up with our own rendition of an inexpensive, free-flowing intake elbow for the 6.0L. Yes, we realize there are ample options currently on the market. That said, we would like our design to have the following features.

• Great value and high quality materials
  • Minimum 2 1/8” ports for sensors, nitrous, or meth injection
  • Pipe design with optimal flow and smooth internal flow
  • Includes all hardware needed for installation

After doing our research, we are quite certain that power increases will be negligible with such an upgrade. The volume of the factory piece is sufficient for mildly modified trucks, and the typical restriction points on trucks producing high airflow volume are the intake ports on the head as opposed to the intake elbow. Either way, highly modified trucks will most likely experience gains with the improved flow of our unit. For factory or mildly modified trucks, you will see benefits of the added NPT ports and improved aesthetics with our proposed 6.0L Powerstroke intake elbow.

Factory Elbow Evaluation

20rjqds.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0L shop truck engine bay

Before developing an elbow of our own, we needed to take a closer look at the features and dimensions of the factory unit.

3505mch.jpg

Factory 6.0 Powerstroke intake elbow removed

1zdb3v5.jpg

Factory 6.0 intake elbow removed

Once the factory 6.0 intake elbow was removed, we could evaluate the oil-drenched OEM component. Check out a few pictures of this piece.

11jb0xl.jpg

Factory Powerstroke intake elbow

34rhezp.jpg

Factory Powerstroke intake elbow

The factory unit features an area on the boot-mating surface that accommodates the lip built into the factory boot. We will need to include this feature in our design as well.

2i70hsx.jpg

Factory 6.0 Powerstroke intake elbow

b7c4fq.jpg

Factory 6.0 Powerstroke intake elbow

3D Prototyping

Our next step in the process involves utilizing our advanced set of tools. First, we set the factory elbow up on our CMM (coordinate measuring machine) table to collect dimensional data. We need to map out the dimensions and features of the flange as well as the location of the boot connection point in relation to the flange. Precision is key in producing an accurate model and prototype.

34q6x3a.jpg

Factory 6.0 intake elbow on CMM table

2dgs77m.jpg

Factory 6.0 intake elbow on CMM table

Coming Up!

Once our initial 3D model is completed in Solidworks, we will 3D-print our first prototype design to check fitment on our truck.

Check back next time for a look at our first prototype unit!

Thanks
-John

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Nice....anxious to see the final piece.

Thanks for taking a look!

What is the price range going to be?

We do not have our pricing details finalized at the moment, we are still a bit early in the process. That being said, we will be pricing this very competitively and we do intend to launch a discounted pre-sale for forum members.

More pricing details should be available in the coming weeks!

Thanks
-John

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
This is another one of those mods that really doesn't prove worth it. But I guess if you have a lot of things tapped into your OEM one, it may loom better than stock. None the less interested in the end result

JMart

Reaction score
Subbed. It will look great attached to the end of my Mishimoto intercooler pipes/boots.

Odd thing though, I am pretty sure my elbow doesn't have that tab that sticks down in the manifold.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
This is another one of those mods that really doesn't prove worth it. But I guess if you have a lot of things tapped into your OEM one, it may loom better than stock. None the less interested in the end result

Thanks for the input, and for taking the time to check out our thread. Performance gains are somewhat unlikely, but this will depend upon the engine/turbo setup as well as airflow produced. Either way, the additional NPT ports and improved aesthetics will be appreciated by some.

More details on our design on the way!

Subbed. It will look great attached to the end of my Mishimoto intercooler pipes/boots.

Odd thing though, I am pretty sure my elbow doesn't have that tab that sticks down in the manifold.

Thanks JMart!

Looking forward to the end result!

Thanks!

-John

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Project update! Check it out below.

Rubbing Elbows with the 6.0L! Mishmoto Powerstroke Intake Elbow R&D, Part 2: 3D Modeling

egcv9k.jpg

We’re back with another update on our 6.0L Powerstroke intake elbow project! Last time we covered the stock unit and noted the plans we had for our rendition of the intake elbow. After collecting data from the stock piece, we began mapping our prototypes on 3D-modeling software.

Prototype 1

Our first prototype comes by way of the almighty 3D printer. We made a quick design in Solidworks to map out the appearance and dimensional constraints for our design.

2cc4du.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0L Powerstroke intake elbow prototype 1

s1qa1g.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0L Powerstroke intake elbow prototype 1

The primary goal for this prototype was to check fitment of our lower flange and placement of our NPT bungs, and also to ensure that our inlet diameter and lip were correctly designed. The style of our “M” logo on the pipe is likely to be changed in the final design, which is reflected in our modeling images below.

Here are a few shots of this piece during test fitting!

2wgrp5f.jpg

Mishimoto Powerstroke intake elbow prototype test fit

6og9sm.jpg

334ojm9.jpg

Both our manifold flange and coupler connection were spot-on with this 3D-printed prototype. We could now continue design work on our final product.

Prototype 2 3D Models

Check out our most recent design from a variety of angles!

8zjhuh.jpg

Mishimoto 6.0 Powerstroke intake elbow 3D model

2mm8pcn.jpg

2wgrexh.jpg

n3ke36.jpg

The images above show our predrilled and tapped bungs on the rear of the elbow, and our subtle “M” logo on the front. You can also see our intercooler boot connection point accurately depicted in the models. This connection point will provide perfect fitment with both Mishimoto and OEM boots. We will be including a replacement boot within this kit for the intake elbow!

Check out the 3D models below of the base flange that mates with the intake manifold!

dweu69.jpg

elefpz.jpg

Mishimoto Powerstroke intake elbow 3D model

We’ve precisely modeled the factory flange to provide hassle-free bolt-on fitment. Pretty cool stuff!

You may have noticed we included images in both polished and black. We are planning to offer three finish options for this component:

• Polished Aluminum
  • Wrinkle-Black Powdercoat
  • Ford Wrinkle-Blue Powdercoat
In addition, we will be including a replacement high-pressure O-ring for installation as well as a factory-fit replacement boot!

Coming Up!

Exciting stuff on the way! Check back next time for a look at our first functional prototype!

Thanks for reading.
-John

white59rt

Reaction score
Are you going to be having any testers??? LOL! I have some nice powder coated metal pipes to go on and this would be a good opportunity to put this on :)

Good work :)

Todd

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Are you going to be having any testers??? LOL! I have some nice powder coated metal pipes to go on and this would be a good opportunity to put this on :)

Good work :)

Todd

Thanks Todd! We have our own 6.0L shop truck that will likely be a our primary test subject for this elbow. If we do end up seeking out an additional vehicle we will certainly be in touch.

Thanks for the offer!
-John

strokin6L

Reaction score
Will there be options for # of bungs instead of just two? Just curious for guys that have water injection because I have 3 bungs on my elbow.

Mishimoto

Reaction score
Will there be options for # of bungs instead of just two? Just curious for guys that have water injection because I have 3 bungs on my elbow.

Interesting. Our current design features just two ports, which will be reflected on our initial batch of elbows coming in. If there is a need for an additional port, we can certainly consider modifying our design for the second batch of elbows.

Not to derail this post but is there any chance of you guys making a aluminum degas bottle?

No worries, we welcome product recommendations. We are actually looking closely at this particular component in the near future. We are still conducting some initial research to determine the path of development. If we do begin development, you can be sure we will have a thread on the forum highlighting our progress.

Thanks for the input and recommendation!

-John

Mishimoto

Reaction score
The pre-sale for our intake elbow is now live! Check out the details below.

Pre-Sale Link!!

Mishimoto Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Intake Elbow

2ilzg1u.jpg

2pruu8h.jpg

Pre-Sale Expiration Date: 10/7/2015

Estimated Ship Date: 10/7/2015

Product Specs

• Direct fit for all 2003–2007 Ford 6.0 Powerstroke
  • Made from 5052 aluminum tubing for smooth airflow and high strength
  • Fits with stock and Mishimoto intercooler pipes
  • Includes two raised ports for sensors or injection nozzles
  • Includes rubber O-ring, specified for high boost pressures
  • Includes new Duracore™ boot and constant tension T-bolt clamps
  • Easy installation, installs in less than 30 minutes
  • Mishimoto lifetime warranty

Images

2h68yab.jpg

fm6vdl.jpg

2dr81fb.jpg

2wc1agy.jpg

Product R&D
http://engineering.mishimoto.com/?cat=317

Tech Specs
lf6ub.jpg

Pre-Sale Link!!

Feel free to follow-up with any questions regarding this kit!

Thanks
-John

Members online

No members online now.