Running dyed ULSD

sagebel

Reaction score
Anyone doing it in a 6.7? I have a friend that has a business. Their equipment runs red ULSD. Is it safe to run in a stock 6.7?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Same fuel, different color. I know a guy that ran it for a while in his 6.7, no issues. He couldn't get a rating from the distributer on the cetane though. Probably not worth the risks. I would run it before I would run out though.

Nj67

Reaction score
Ive ran a tank or two here and there but oddly it was always a couple days away from my scheduled fuel filter maintenance

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Around here we plumb it in after the fuel tank and seeing as they can only check the contents of the tank, it'll show green like it should.

As for its safety, nobody us going to fuel a 300k dollar hoe or 500k$ combine with fuel that is "bad". Much less importantly a 50k $ truck.

sagebel

Reaction score
Thanks guys. They have a logging operation with some pretty big and newer equipment. They just picked up a 550 flatbed for a service truck.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
offroad ulsd is not a problem. I still get mixed answers on heating oil. Some people say its LSD 500ppm and some people say the only fuel out there anymore is ULSD, and its all just different dye. I do know my 6.4 gets better mileage on the few tanks I ran by accident.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Toedter oil here says their heating oil is lsd as the old equipment some people have wont work on ulsd. Buuuut that was two years ago and they were sayjng they had to keep logs on it. Like how much, what it was stored in etc. Cheaper than road fuel by a huge margin back in 2013.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I should be all the same these days. I would run it but I get on road cheaper than I could get off road.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
We buy on road by the tanker. We don't use enough off road to buy more than 500 gal at a time and at those quantities it is cheaper to just run on road in everything.

fine69

Reaction score
I've been told its the exact same fuel with red dye added to indicate that on road tax was not paid. With that said, DO NOT get caught with it in your truck on the road! HUGE fines! My buddy got caught with it in a service truck, a dump truck and his Lowboy. He was issued a VERY large fine!

F150orelse

Reaction score
I've been told its the exact same fuel with red dye added to indicate that on road tax was not paid. With that said, DO NOT get caught with it in your truck on the road! HUGE fines! My buddy got caught with it in a service truck, a dump truck and his Lowboy. He was issued a VERY large fine!

Yep same exact diesel just different color, I'm a shoretankerman.

wildkarrd

Reaction score
Everyone says same stuff just dye, but whenever I've ran dyed I've gotten better fuel mileage. So idk. That dye must burn better lol. There's no way it can be bad for the engine tho. Like others said, wouldn't run it in 6figure plus equipment if it was bad. As for fines, personal vehicle fines are still big, but if you run dyed for 1 year solid you've saved the money for the first fine... Business equipment, things are a bit heftier lol

Sent from a Well Head

CUZICAN

Reaction score
I can't speak for every part of the country, but I work in a refinery, and we haven't made LSD in years, all we produce now is ULSD. Dyed diesel that leaves my refinery is the same USLD that goes out to gas stations, only dye is add right before it leaves.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Why do people still think it's any different other than just being dyed a different color? There are literally way to many threads on the internet asking this same question over and over and over again. Chemical make up is exactly the same apart from the dye and that's it.

Latest posts

Members online